ODD help for my ds

AK0603

This is all so very difficult. I want to say that my son was diagnosis'd with several things in past several years, ADHD, depression, anxiety, ODD, PTSD, among some others. Lastly, I was told, he does not have ADHD, and he is currently only on zoloft for depression 50mg. I have really been researching the ODD more lately and I think this could be his main issue. I have been trouled all along by his lack of empathy The fact that he never cares how his actions affect others. he will fight or argue with every single thing that is said. Wether it's the sky is blue, or your shirt is black, he will argue that. He is like this to me, his father, and both step parents, and teachers at times. In Feb. he began getting more physical with me and now he' living full time with his father.

My main thing I want to know about is the fact that counseling hasn't seemed to help him much in the past 2 years. It used to help, but now it doesn't seem to help at all. Next i would like to know/understand more about the medications that could help him. He's been on zoloft a while now, he's previously been on Abilify, Strattera, and Concerta. The concerta was short time, and didn't work well, the abilify he was on for about 1.5 yrs and the straterra was about a year. I think at first the Abilify made a world of difference, although he was shakey...then he was off it, and he was horrible again. So they restarted it. Then Jan this year he became very very aggressive and started saying he would kill himself, etc...and was in the hospital for 10 days and they recommended he come off. Since then he seems to be okay off that.

I just don't know and am looking for any help i can find, I'm at the end of my mind. I just don't know what to do.

Marguerite

You've probably heard this from us before, but have you had a chance to read "The Explosive Child" by Ross Greene? While waiting for experts to help, at least this is something you could try yourself.

Marg

Wiped Out

Staff member
I think if our kids aren't stable a lot of time they aren't available for therapy. My difficult child has been in therapy since he was about six. I think just since February has he actually been available for it. As for the medication combos I can't help there. It is really a lot of trialing at times. My difficult child has been on 17 medications. At times I didn't think anything would help. Finally he is on a combo that is helping (not perfect by any means but it is helping).

Hugs to you-I know how hard it is when our difficult children get physical.

BusynMember

Hi. I'm wondering who diagnosed him. Has he ever seen a Child Psychiatrist (with the MD) or a neuropsychologist. Mood disorders and/or substance abuse on the family tree are red flags for childhood mood disorders and one of the major symptoms of, say, childhood bipolar is ODD behavior that is not corrected by therapy or behavioral modification. You have major red flags on the family tree. I have a laundry list of diagnosis. somewhat like yours and, unfortunately, my one biological son does have a lot of my psychiatric issues, although he's doing really well on the right medications (see profile below).
You may want to take your child for another evaluation and opinion. Sometimes it takes a long time to get the diagnosis. and medications/treatment right. Zoloft would be probably not really good if he has a mood disorder. Or if it works, he may need something else with it, like a mood stabilizer. Just stabbing here--I'm not the professional :smile:

busywend

Well, how is he doing at dad's these days? Last we knew he seemed to be pretty stable and I believe had made the honor roll. What is going on now? Has the honeymoon ended?

AK0603

Hi everyone, thanks for the replies. yes this is my difficult child, he's in Indiana, we all moved here in June. He is doing better, yes. when he left NY he was completely 100% out of control, physical, threatening, running away,etc...He does not do that now. He doesn't seem "depressed" or that extreme now. But more defient, more arguementive. Well he as always like that too, but now that i do not have him 24/7 that is what I deal with the time he's with me. He did make honor roll, so that was good, but he does have to repeat his 5th grade year. And his father uses more of a "fear" for him, he was spanking him as punishment, butas I wrote this before that has stopped.

I don't know, there are times, for example yesterday my sister got married, and he paid her $1 to dance with her and it was so sweet. I started to cry remembering that is the son that loves his family and is so sweet, innocent and caring. But then less then 5 minutes later after telling him he could not drink a soda with his cake, he needed juice, he threw a fit. In front of alot of people at the wedding getting very mouthy, being so rude to me, its embarrassing. Then after pouting 30 minutes we finially left early. :frown:

He was diagnosis'd by several different people, a md who works in pediatric adhd, then phychiatrists that are mds at the hospital when he stayed 10 days, then the list of others that are including MD, ODD, ADHD (again), depression, anxiety, PTSD, and whatever else have been from his counselers, and phychiatrists, MD he has not been to a neuro dr. I can not find one here that deal with children. I'm trying though.

Marguerite

I do think a very important defence against kids like this - do not feel embarrassed by anything they do or say. Switch it off - if you feel you need to explain, tell them he's got a medical condition.
Similarly, do not take on board anything hurtful he says to you. Switch it off. Maybe admire his ingenuity and desperation in trying to get a reaction out of you, but stop reacting with horror or distress, because all this does is show him like a lit signpost your most vulnerable spots.

Keep holding on to this thought - he attacks you the worst because deep down he knows you love him the most and he feels safest with you.

Marg

Sara PA

Are you aware that Zoloft, like any of the antidepressants can, cause anxiety, agitation, anger, mania/hypomania aggression, hostility, violence, a form of mood cycling called "antidepressant induced bipolar disorder" and even psychosis? These deugs often seem to help at first but around three months after starting the drug, there may be a slow deterioration of behavior and mental state. The behaviors/emotions are known psychiatric side effect of the drugs.

ETA: I forgot to mention that Strattera is an antidepressant.