Odd Lump On My Head

susiestar

Roll With It
I have a very painful lump on my forehead. It feels very bruised and is raised up like a knot from hitting my head. It is NOT hot or red and is above my left eye. It started hurting about 2 am Wed. I have NOT hit my head on anything, slept with anything under my head other than a pillow, or otherwise done anything to injure my head.

About 10 days ago I had a raised but not hot or red lump on the back of my head near the top left side that felt the same way. It started out the size of maybe a nickel and grew to the size of an egg. It grew over the course of a day and a half. I also had a second lump on the back of my head on the lower right that felt the same way but started a day later. I hadn't even had my hair pulled up to stress my scalp when these lumps came up. The spot the 2nd one was in, near the lower right side of my head, is a spot that is often very tense.

Do any of you have any clue what could be causing these? They flat out HURT and I cannot pinpoint a single reason for them. I assume if it was infection then I would have some redness or they would feel hot, but they don't. They feel very bruised but I haven't been bumped in the head in those spots or any others. I don't know if my muscles are just so tight they are pulling at the attachment points, but they don't feel tighter than normal. I have had muscles pull so tight that the docs worried they would detach from the bones, but it doesn't just appear out of nowhere. That was year ago also.

If you have any thoughts, please let me know. Please don't suggest that I ice them - my body reacts VERY badly to cold. It makes everything vastly worse. Thanks.

GoingNorth

Crazy Cat Lady
I'd suggest you get into your doctor. I have no idea what these things are, but you should rule out skin infections of any kind, especially as there is swelling and pain.

Hope you feel better soon.

Copabanana

I agree with everybody else. Go to the doctor. I just googled lumps. Could be a response to infection somewhere in your body, or could be something else. Why would you take any chances? Go to the doctor.

ksm

It sounds strange, the only thing I can think of is a sebaceous cyst. I have one about the size of a small grape on my scalp. Sometimes it gets larger or smaller, but it hasn't gotten infected. I was scheduled to have it removed once, but it took so long to get in to the dmatologist that it practically disappeared.

I don't know if that could be it or not. I agree, see a doctor.. KSM

GoingNorth

Crazy Cat Lady
Sebaceous cysts usually don't suddenly appear, and so long as they aren't infected, are painless. My concern is that Susie has had cellulitis before, which makes one more prone to get it again, and cellulitis CAN pop up overnight.

When i had it in my left lower leg, I went to bed with a swollen foot and leg (we still haven't figured out why leg swelled up) and woke up about 4AM with my leg, hot,even more swollen, red in an uneven pattern, and very itchy and burning.

I knew what it was because my late husband had had it, and took myself off to ER. I got over it (obviously, since I still have my leg), with the help of strong antibiotics, but that leg is still more sensitive to cold than the other one and the skin is more prone to become irritated.

That's my concern, Susie: that you've got some sort of cellulitis going on, and with the way MRSA goes around these days...

Copabanana

some sort of cellulitis going on
Oh Dear. I had not thought of that.

I had MRSA about 20 years ago. I ignored the bump near my belly button until the pain was unbearable and I had a cavity about 2 inches in diameter! Yes. It appears I am that stupid. The doctor freaked out. Gave me powerful antibiotics and scheduled surgery for that evening in case the antibiotics did not start working within the next couple of hours.

The thing is, we do not know--you do not know--what it is. I hope by now you have gone to the doctor.

Last edited:

GoingNorth

Crazy Cat Lady
Yes, Susie. WE hope by now you have gone to your doctor, or if your doctor isn't available, to the ER. Please keep us posted on how you are doing.