office etiquette ?

Jody

Okay, most of you know I have a very strange working environment. My boss takes the newspaper into his bathroom area and sits on the pot an reads the paper and then brings it back out and puts it on the counter. He's not here today and a co worker just arrived at work at 1 pm, otherwise it's just been me. The other co-worker is a woman, and she said I am going to grab the paper and go into the restroom. I am disgusted, that just lets me know what shes doing in there, and the germs that could and will be brought out of the restroom, I am not a germaphobic, but I find this crass, and just really, did you really just go in the bathroom, and read the entire newspaper. Am I being picky or what. Does anyone do this at your jobs? I think I might be losing it between my house and this job.

trinityroyal

Eeeeeew!

I'm sorry, but nothing you do in the bathroom at work requires a newspaper. Nothing! I don't care what you're doing or how long you're going to be in there -- taking a newspaper in with you at the office is just not on.

Jody

Thank goodness, I am not losing it. I can imagine the stares I'de get if I took the company paper into the restroom with me and then brought it out for everyone else to read. Ugh, I don't think I'de be so popular.

DDD

For the first thirty six years of my life etiquette ruled. For these last thirty six I work with men..all men..many of whom are greasy, dirty, stinky from working on semis. It took some adjusting but truth is..it would be like water off a ducks back to me now. I miss those early civilized years! DDD

Jody

DDD, too funny. You made me laugh. I can see a man doing it, but now a woman too!! Sexist maybe but yuck.

Calamity Jane

Jody, I don't think it's too much to ask for someone to NOT take a newspaper on a trip to the bathroom, and then put it BACK on the counter for others to read! In a workplace, no less! AY YI YI

AnnieO

Shooting from the Hip
If I am going to be in there a while, I might take a section of the paper... But it goes in the trash afterwards. How disgusting...

InsaneCdn

If you have a PERSONAL copy of the paper... I don't care what you do with it or where you take it, as long as it stays with YOU (on your person, in your office, in your briefcase... or in your trashcan).

But to take the SHARED copy???????? Not that you're likely to be able to change that, but... ya.

Jody

I just thought of something, my boss has issues about germs, I get in first and I am going to take the paper into the bathroom with me and make sure that he sees me going in there with it. I could bet my life that he will not touch that newpaper. Oh this is going to be good. I want to see his face. okay not to get graphic but they are in the actual bathroom area with the paper and they have to wipe and touch the paper before they even can get to the sink to wash their hands. Omg, disgusting. The things people will do. ugh. or I think I might ask them to throw it in the recycle when they are done with it, why should I have to touch it. I am grossing out here.

CrazyinVA

Staff member
I worked at a place years ago where this happened. One of the partners would grab the paper off the receptionist's desk, head to the men's room for awhile, and bring it back when he was done. She usually tossed the paper after that, gingerly I might add. I hadn't thought about that in years-- thanks lol.

I have a friend that works for a demolition company, so it's mostly men. She has told me some pretty gross stories about the shared bathroom ::shudder::

recoveringenabler

Staff member
Well, I must have lived a sheltered life, I honestly have never heard of or encountered anything remotely like what you all are talking about! I am between laughing and grossed out by the antics of human beings.........ugh.............a little decorum in the office would be helpful, ewwwwwwwwww........I would be tempted to put up a sign in the bathroom stating, 'once the newspaper enters this zone, it is to be immediately discarded before exiting. Thank you. The management.'

susiestar

Roll With It
Men have disgusting habits in public restrooms. I worked in a convenience store for two summers, and in many restaurants and office buildings. The mens room always stunk in ways the womens NEVER did.

Y'all don't even want to know what the guys in my coed dorm did. THey replaced the carpet twice in one semester due to a group on one floor. THey also had to completely disinfect the stairwells from basement to the top of our 14 floor dorm building. The guys would go and see how far down they could make it wtih just about any bodily fluid they could get out of themselves. It was so bad with a group that started as freshmen the year before I did that we had written notice from the EMTs and fire dept that they would NOT be going up and down our stairwell because of the risk of infection, so we better pray for the elevators to work fast. I wish I was joking.

In high school I worked in a used bookstore. We did NOT accept trades for playboys, etc..., so some of the guys would try to pick up a copy and take it into the bathroom with them. Sometmes they left it there, other times they put it back. I flat out refused to touch them, not to price them, to accept them, to bag them up after a sale, nothing. The little old ladies I worked with at first would go back and ask the guys if they were 'okay, not constipated or anything? Do you need some prunes?" That did apparently deflate more than a few of the men, thankfully. Then their granddau started running the store and she bought a big thing of plastic wrap at sams and she would wrap them and seal with duct tape. I was never more thankful for duct tape and plastic wrap in my life!

We generally have a book or six in the bathroom at home. J is really bad about keeping a stack in there. Always was, even as a toddler. But that is our HOME. I have NEVER seen someone take a paper into the bathroom at work, read it, and put it back out for others to deal with. EEEUUUWWW!

Of course I think it is disgusting to save the cardboard roll from toilet paper for crafts or whatever too, so maybe I am a bit off.

AnnieO

Shooting from the Hip
Susie - interestingly, I've always found the women's restroom to be worse - pee on the seats, hygiene stuff hanging out of the garbage bins, soap all over the counters... At least in the men's you can just mop the floor near the urinals!

But then, it wasn't college kids, either...