Oh boy, and now the real fun begins!

Jungleland

Welcome to my jungle!
husband and Aly came by tonight to drop off some medications for me and husband asked Aly if she had anything special to share with me.

She got upset at first, but calmed down after a good snuggle. She started her period last night!! :surprise::sad-very::pouting:

I feel so badly for her, she is just 10 yo, will be 11 in mid June. I was shocked husband handled the whole thing so smoothly and matter of factly, I had already showed her how to "take care of things" and she had pads in her school backpack for months now. She is soooo upset because the school swim party is this Friday and she knows she won't be able to swim. Maybe this first one will just be a short, light one and be over by Friday?!?!? One can only hope.

She said she didn't have any cramps and was just flowing lightly, but she did have an awful headache. Hopefully she doesn't fall into my footsteps of getting migraines with the dreaded monthly curse!!

I hugged onto her so tightly and said how proud I was of her for handling it so well and being such a grown up young lady. She said she was worried someone would tease her at school, so I gave her some hints on how to be real discreet.

She is such an athletic kiddo, hoping this will help her have lighter monthly's. I barely had any in my teens, was way too active and athletic so I was super happy about that!!

My little girl turned into a young lady last night! :sad-very: How do they grow up so fast??

JJJ

Oh, my. Piglet is the same age, I can't image her starting her period already! It's nice that husband handled it well and that Aly could share with you.

GoingNorth

Crazy Cat Lady
If you and Aly are comfortable with the idea, using tampons would enable her to continue her normal activities (including swimming) while menstruating.

Contrary to the old wives' tales: using tampons has no bearing on the presence or lack of "virginity".

She'd do best starting off with OB or similar, and avoiding scented tampons.

OB brand do not come with an applicator so are placed using the finger, but because of the way they are shaped, they sit "better" and do not leave the feeling of something being inside.

They are also a lot less likely to produce "bypass" leakage than the applicator style tampons.

In addition of course, you don't have applicators in landfills.

timer lady

Queen of Hearts
Vickie,

kt started very young as well ~ it was a bit "traumatizing" for her because no one else of her age was menstruating. She didn't start using tampons until this year; her pediatrician didn't recommend it until she was of a certain age & I forget why right now.

It took kt a bit to get on a regular cycle & we added hormones a year or so ago to help with that & with her mood swings. The hormones really evened things out for her emotionally.

by the way, with her period, maturity began peeking out for kt. This last year we've seen such amazing growth. I'm hoping Aly will begin to show some of the same maturity.

Hound dog

Nana's are Beautiful
They grow up too fast.

Kuddos to husband for handling it so well. Many men wouldn't. And good for you for being on the ball and having already prepared her despite her age.

With easy child we began a "tradition" around here. When a female member of the family has her first period, husband would go out and buy them a single rose. A "celebration of womanhood" so to speak. Both girls thought it goofy at the time. But now tell me that made it a sweet memory for them.

As far as the swimming goes.....Don't you just love the timing of these things. lol Both my girls flow was very light in the beginning, and very short. So hopefully Aly's will be too.

Hugs

meowbunny

For my daughter, starting was truly a blessing. Rather than PMSing non-stop for two years, she only PMSed once a month. Much more preferable!

It is becoming common for girls to start younger. One theory is all the hormones in our food, especially beef. If other girls around haven't started soon, I'm sure some will.

I'm glad everyone handled it so well, including her. It is scary for girls to start so young and have no warning. I know one of my daughter's classmates became hysterical thinking she was bleeding to death because her parents gave her no information although it was obvious she was pre-pubescent from around age 8. Poor baby.

So, give Aly a hug from all of us. She's on her way to growing up.

Abbey

Spork Queen
Major kudos to husband for handling this. My husband would of ran out of the house with hands over his ears.

Abbey

'Chelle

I started my period when I was 11 - before my older sister and any of my friends. I thought it was horrible - still hate getting my period and now I'm down to only getting one every 3 or 4 months, can't wait for them to stop LOL. I feel both happy and bad for her.

Hugs to Aly on becoming a "woman" and crossing fingers her 1st is very short and light so she doesn't have to miss the swimming.

susiestar

Roll With It
hugs to aly. Great job husband did handling it. My husband was upset, didn't want to hear it, now Jbird teases him about it all. It is pretty funny.

Jess used tampons from the beginning. She said pads felt like wearing a diaper, and the kids really teased girls who wore pads. Jeans/pants often were too tight and the pad could be seen.

Jess started at 9, it was a real nuisance to her. I hope Aly's is very light and short.

Hugs

Susie

mstang67chic

Going Green
Wow! on a couple of counts. One that husband handled it so well. Mine would have tried but probably wouldn't have a clue. Two for HER handling it so well. I think I was about 12 and I was PI**ED. I didn't tell my mom either, she figured it out while doing laundry. I was just so mad because I knew I would have to deal with this for another 30 years or so and I didn't want to.

I don't know what kind of pads you gave her but I use Always Ultra Thins with wings (fly little birdie! flyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy) and you can't even feel them. They have different ones and are color coded. The yellow ones are considered for light, green is medium to normal and the orange are for overnight. At her age, the yellow and green ones would probably be the right size for day and night use. They are definately much better than what I had back in the day! lol

Star*

call 911........call 911
How to you tell a 10 year old she's a WOMAN? lol

Congratulations to husband for handling this so well and to Aly for telling you!

You can search for the fem. hygiene products web sites and send for samples on lots of stuff and kits on "being woman" they are free and she can find out what she likes to use.

Hugs and midol
Star

KTMom91

Tampax has a junior size tampon...I forget the specific name, but it's thinner so it's easier for the younger girls. Miss KT used those for a while.

I feel badly for elementary school girls that have to deal with their periods. Their own bodies won't let them be little kids. When I was taking classes for my credential, a guest speaker in our health class said it was the fluorescent lights that caused girls to mature earlier than in previous generations. Guess it's as good a theory as any other.

trinityroyal

Hugs to Aly, and to you, and congratulations to husband for handling things with such aplomb.

I started my period when I was 10, too. I was already taller and...erm...more developed...erm...than most of the girls in Gr. 5 so that was one more thing to be teased about. I found that an OB tampon with a panty-liner in case of leakage was the most discreet way to be protected without being noticed.

Always makes a junior size pad, and OB makes a junior size tampon. I think Tampax does too. I think the manufacturers are catching on that girls are starting younger, and they are making products to suit.

I also like Star's idea about the free samples.

Trinity

Stella Johnson

My difficult child started at the end of the school year last year. She took it really well. I was shocked. She does cramp and get headaches but thank goodness her periods only last 2 or 3 days.
PMS with a difficult child is NOT fun.

Give Aly a hug for us. She's not alone.

Steph

totoro

Mom? What's a difficult child?
OK I am freaking out a tiny bit... 2 daughters here! I started at 9. I was living with my Adopted Dad at the time, he sent me to the neighbors!!! I was SO traumatized... luckily we were pretty close, the Mom and kids were like family. I just remember cringing each month when I had to ask him to buy me, um, some, um, pads.
I am truly impressed by all of you!!!

GoingNorth

Crazy Cat Lady
I was 11 when I started and that was nearly forty years ago (can't blame it on pollution, etc, just genetics).

In accordance with Eastern European tradition, my family threw a "coming of age" party for me. I was mortified.

Nowadays? I just want to know if I get a party when I (finally) quit!

Jungleland

Welcome to my jungle!
So far Aly is using the Always pads with WINGS! Sure wish they had those around when I was younger!

I worry cause her feminine hygiene is not the best and now she needs to be even better about it. She will be here with me this weekend again, so I think we will go over a few things to help it be a bit easier for her.

When she was about 3, I think, her then Pediatrician guestimated that she was start developing early and would start her period by the age of 10. He was right on! She was on Soy formula as a baby due to a milk allergy, she is African American and she is a bigger than average girl for her age, so he said all those things attribute to an early menses!

This evening she said she had mild cramps and asked for a Tylenol. I told husband that he ought to ask the pharmacist if she can take Pamprin or Midol or one of those with her other medications. She said it wasn't too bad at school, since she is in the special day class 3/4 of her day with lots of freedom to use the restroom in the day room, she didn't have to "announce" to anyone when she needed to change her pad.

Tomorrow we have her IEP at the middle school for next year, we get a tour of the school and will meet all her teachers and supportive staff. She will be in the Special Day class there with 9 other students, 1 teacher, 4 aides and the school psychiatric is in there daily, as well as several school counselors. She will be mainstreamed for PE and art only. husband has meet the principal and says she's great. The SDC also has it's own restroom, so it will be really similar to what she's used to now.

Anyways, thanks all for the good thoughts.

Hugs,
Vickie