Oh good - a blizzard!

JKF

A blizzard warning was just issued for some of NE NJ. We still have just a Winter Storm warning in my area but we're only one county over from where the blizzard warning is. As it is now we're expecting 12-16+ inches of snow and 65 mph winds. Widespread power outages are likely. Yay.

I'm praying we don't lost power. We had no power for 6 days with Sandy and it's so much colder now than it was in October! I can't even imagine how much that would suck! I'm so ready for a vacation to a warm, tropical island.

Last edited:

Hound dog

Nana's are Beautiful
I saw that. I hope you don't lose power too.

That said, do you have a generator or something in case you do lose power? Fuel for it as well?

I hope you don't have to go out and about in it. If you can stay home and snuggle up with a good book or something. brrrr

TerryJ2

Ugh! Well, it *is* winter. I hope you have a generator.
And I feel badly for the others who are still in hotels or still in cold apartments.

JKF

It is winter and I'm not complaining about that. I know that it snows in the winter and I actually like the snow but this is supposed to be a very dangerous storm. That's the part that worries me. We do have a generator. My husband plows so he'll have to be out in blizzard conditions doing that as well as helping his parents. His dad has bone cancer and is in bad shape so that's another worry during a storm like this. It's stressful and scary. Just seems like a lot of bad storms in a short time period and I'm ready for a break!

jal

We are in the blizzard warning. My work actually closed for tomorrow and gave the day paid and difficult child's school is closed. husband has to go in but I can't imagine for long. Power loss has been an issue here with Sandy, the winter storm after and a storm we had last week caused us to lose power for 24hrs. Ugh. But we are groceried, gased up and had an oil delivery today. My parents are up the street and have a generator, so there are showers and heat there. That is the next thing on our list to get, a generator. Re-doing the well pump and lines tapped us out for major extras last month...

rejectedmom

We are just below the blizzard warning but supposed to get ice and sleet. Hate hate hate that as all the lunatics think it is ok to drive fast and stop short. Well ice is ice and well you can't stop short on it or drive fast on it. husband is home I do not have anywhere to go and easy child/difficult child only has to drive a half mile to work but worry about my daughters and their hubbies. -RM

JKF

It's already snowing here in NNJ. Supposed to get 2-4 during the day and 10 - 14 tonight during the worst of the storm. Winds will be in the 50-60mph range tonight which is what scares me most. easy child/difficult child has an early dismissal at 11:50 so hopefully it won't get too bad before then. He has a therapist appointment at 3 but Im canceling that. My car is gassed up, husband fueled up his truck and we have the generators ready to go. I have to go into the office for a couple of hours this morn, then pick up easy child/difficult child and then we are coming right home to bunker down!

I hope everyone else in the path of this storm stays safe and warm!!!

StressedM0mma

Stay safe and warm everyone. We are getting rain right now. Lots of rain. I guess as the day goes on we are going to drop in temp and get some snow. But, no where near a blizzard.

Bunny

I wouldn't be so upset about this storm if my H (who is not so "dear" right now) had bought the generator that I was promised after the hurricane. They keep saying we could get hurricane force winds. Last time we had hurricane force winds we lost power. FOR FIVE FREAKING DAYS!!! difficult child just about lost his mind. And I'm the one who is stuck dealing with him and doing everything that I can to keep all of us safe. I'm really annoyed with him right now.

JKF

I wouldn't be so upset about this storm if my H (who is not so "dear" right now) had bought the generator that I was promised after the hurricane. They keep saying we could get hurricane force winds. Last time we had hurricane force winds we lost power. FOR FIVE FREAKING DAYS!!! difficult child just about lost his mind. And I'm the one who is stuck dealing with him and doing everything that I can to keep all of us safe. I'm really annoyed with him right now.

I'm sorry Bunny! I would be annoyed too! He wouldn't hear the end of it - EVER! lol I hope you don't lose power. I'm praying with all of my might that this storm comes, does what it has to do, and leaves us all fairly unscathed!

Bunny

Thank you, JKF. He was told this morning that if we lose power I will never forgive him for not taking care of us the way he is supposed to and for leaving me alone to deal with difficult child while he gets to go to work, leaving me here with a target on my back. I can deal with the snow. The loss of power is another issue all together.

Calamity Jane

We bought a generator just as our power resumed after Sandy, and after we'd been without power for 5 days, too. This morning, I suggested we load up the gas cans in case we lose power again, and have to use the generator. The unfortunate thing about a generator is that they usually only run for 4 hours on gas, and you need to run all sorts of extension cords from the generator to the house. The generator can't be too close to the house due to carbon monoxide, either. PLUS, good luck refilling the gas can if the gas stations don't have power either. That happened to us after Sandy, too.
So, to get 4 hrs./day of EITHER heat, lights, refrigerator, etc. is really frustrating.
What we are planning to do is have an electrician come to the house and hard wire the generator to the electrical panel, so we don't have to run all those cords. I've been meaning to do that...:fishbashsmile:

hearts and roses

Mind Reader
We were just released from work. I'm going to see my mom, then home. easy child and her boyfriend made it out on an early flight to Cali, H is home stocking wood and checking on the generator. All schools were closed as of last evening and the gas stations were crazy with lines down the road...grocery stores also nuts. I'm glad we have plenty of food at home...I'm thinking I may pick up another shovel on the way home! Hmmm, if there are any left. ☺

Stay safe and don't drive if you don't need to!!!

DDD

I'm thinking of you all and hoping the storm passes much faster than anticipated. Hugs DDD