Oh good - a blizzard!

JKF

Hahaha Janet! I agree! husband and I would love to eventually retire down south. We're hitting Myrtle Beach in June for vacation and I am dreaming of that right now as I sit here watching the snow fall!!

Hound dog

Nana's are Beautiful
Calamity Jane.........put your frig items and freezer items into boxes outside if your power goes. It will stay good that way and you can focus the generator on heating.

I think the only reason we've not been hit with anything huge recently (knocks quickly on wood before I eat those words) is because I'm as prepared as I can possibly be. I won't do a generator......too expensive and unless dealing with sub zero temps not really worth it. I have my Heater Buddy, my gas stove.........all sorts of lanterns, oil lamps, flashlights and candles. I also have plenty of stored propane for the Heater Buddy too so if we get hit with a major storm and the store suddenly is sold out I'm still good to go.

I nurtured my kids love of books and anything that didn't require a power cord or batteries. It always paid off during a power outage. (I also store various activities that are only used during such things so they stay "new" )

Oh! I hope no one loses power!

Keeping you all in my prayers. Stay warm and stay safe.

Hugs

Bunny

How did everyone do n the blizzard? We got ALOT of snow. Like two feet of it and it's still falling! YIKES!! It's only 6:30 am and difficult child is ALREADY asking if he can go outside in it. The sun isn't even up yet!! I told him that yes he could go out, but he would have to wait. The snow is still falling and the sun needs to rise first. Now he's waiting for me to make cinnamon rolls for breakfast, but I told him that no one else is up yet, I haven't showered and he was just goi g to have to wait.

So, bottom line is that we got a lot of snow, but have not lost power. We're still under a blizzard warning until noon, though.

buddy

Oh bunny! I sure hope power stays on. That kind of snow is fun to play in. Hope the kids have a magical day! We loved making snow forts.

JKF

We got about 18 inches of snow here. Winds are blowing pretty hard right now. husband has been out plowing since yesterday afternoon and likely won't be home for hours yet.

easy child/difficult child just got up and he's patiently waiting to go outside. The winds need to die down a bit first and then he can play out there all he wants! Going to my inlaws for dinner later and they have huge hills there so we can get some sledding in too. Like I said, I like the snow! Loss of power is a completely different thing though! lol. Hope everyone came out safe and please continue to stay safe until all is said and done!

hearts and roses

Mind Reader
In the level areas we have about 18" and in the areas where the wind created drifts, some are up about 3 1/2 FEET!

H has been shoveling in shifts...since he never fixed the snowblower! Oy! If I try to shovel, my back will go out so I'm not doing it. I feel bad, I wish I could help him. I contacted someone we know to see if they could just come and at least give the driveway one could swipe and then H will do the rest. We have four cars in the way, der.

The poor pups are so short legged that they can't go off the small path that H cleared for them...

Okay, bring on Spring, Mother Nature...I'm putting away my 'Let it Snow' plaque hanging next to the front door...no more of that!

TerryJ2

Ohhh Bunny, that makes me want to be a kid again!!!
Sigh. The difference between childhood and adulthood ... I scrolled through some online pics and saw one bldg that had snow blown all the way up the side, nearly to the roof. It wasn't so thick that you couldn't still make out the windows, but when I was a kid, I remember absolutely loving it when snowdrifts reached the second floor.
My dad hated it because he was worried about leaking through the windows, the siding, head loss, etc.
Like I said, the diff between adulthood and childhood ...

One photo online caught my attention: A lit up trailer sign that road crews use to indicate closed lanes said, "Wicked icy streets"/roads.

TerryJ2

Hearts and Roses, does your husband work for a plowing company?
Yes, CT does get snow in the winter!!!

Bunny

Well, it's just about noon and the kids have been in and out about three times. They came in for lunch and difficult child went back out again, but easy child said he was still cold and didn't want to go back out yet. difficult child said that he would do some shoveling for husband, so he's out thee doing that right now. We never lost power (thank God for that). The blizzard warning has been lifted and it seems like the worst is over, for now.

tiredmommy

We got 16" outside of Buffalo, but we were fortunate not to have the hurricane strength winds, plummeting temps and over burdened infrastructure so it's been manageable.

JKF

Now that the winds have died down I'm enjoying the snow much more! It looks so pretty outside! easy child/difficult child was out for a little while but he's back in now. It's pretty darn cold out! husband is STILL out plowing! He's been up since 4 am Friday morning and napped for about 2 hours but has basically been working nonstop since. He works a full time job but also owns his own business. Plowing is one of the things he does in the winter for his own business. It brings in a lot of $$ but it's exhausting. Hopefully he'll be home soon.

jal

I'm in sourthern CT and we got just over 2 ft. It is up to my thighs when I got out in it. The power went off and came right back on 4 times last night. husband had to stay with his mother last night because her husband is in the hospital. He's been digging out for hours and is still not home. I'm not supposed to shovel cause I have 3 herniated discs, but I did some anyway and feel it.

hearts and roses

Mind Reader
Hearts and Roses, does your husband work for a plowing company?
Yes, CT does get snow in the winter!!!

No Terry, he's a carpenter! Our neighbor came by and gave it a good swipe....but 2 feet+ is still covering all the cars and a better portion of the driveway and back walkway, oh and porch.

hearts and roses

Mind Reader
Roads in CT are supposedly still closed but I've seen two cars go by in the past hour---I guess people are sick of one another and need to get out! Lol

Hound dog

Nana's are Beautiful
So nice to be a kid in that type of snow. I used to love it. But such a different perspective when you're an adult.....too much to worry about.

Maggie would be in snow heaven. OMG does she love the snow..........I can hardly get her back inside and have to wait until she's practically freezing if there is any snow on the ground.

I better shut up now before I curse our area with a blizzard......or three. LOL

I hope everyone has managed to keep power. Heard there are about 600 k doing without......brrr. I feel for them, I really do.

We lost our power for a bit....the roads were not bad so we went to the movies where we could be warm. It was back on when we got home. I'm freezing anyway.