Oh gosh...just had a thought. NE 1 with a child getting medicare

Discussion in 'The Watercooler' started by DammitJanet, Nov 22, 2011.

  1. DammitJanet

    DammitJanet Well-Known Member Staff Member

    If your child gets medicare on YOUR or YOUR spouse's Social Security account and they get the Red, White and Blue card, and they have a SSN on that card followed by a letter, please look at that number and see whose number that is.

    Reason I say this is because normally if that child is getting benefits under the parents account, it will be the PARENTS SSN on that card but the letter will be a C meaning Child. Which means you could have a difficult child out there with YOUR SSN creating havoc with your info.

    Just realized that when I was cleaning out an old wallet and came across one of Cory's old Medicare Cards. It had MY SSN on it. Now he has his SSN on his card with an A on it just like I do.
  2. Hound dog

    Hound dog Nana's are Beautiful

    Huh? What is a red white and blue card?

    Here for years you get a "card" that is a piece of paper. Not sure how they do the SS number though, never had one for the kids and never had a reason to look at the grandkids cards.
  3. susiestar

    susiestar Roll With It

    Not sure what that is. We get soonercare, the state medicaid for low income families (not just for kids here, though you have to have a lot lower income to get it for the parents). While our ssn's are on the account, the ONLY # on the card is a different one. they dont' use the SSN, not even the kid's ssn, on the card to help prevent identity theft.
  4. DammitJanet

    DammitJanet Well-Known Member Staff Member

    Not Medicaid...Medicare. Medicare is what you get with Disability not welfare or medicare or at social services. Medicare is through the Social Security Administration.

    Anyone who is dealing with Medicare will know what I mean. Hound, your husband should have been receiving Medicare. Well, maybe not. How long was he on Social Security before he died? It takes two years I believe. or that might only be for disability. It might take effect immediately when you turn 65.