Oh...I found my cousins on facebook!

DammitJanet

Im so over the moon excited.

I havent had much contact at all with my Dad's side of the family since I grew up. I used to see them all the time when I was a kid but after I became a huge difficult child I think he wanted to separate me from them because I was such an embarrassment. I didnt see them at all after 18 until my cousins dtr got married and I went to the wedding sometime in mid 90s. My dad took me then. Then in 1999, I went up to visit my cousins and my uncles for NYE for the 99/00 thing. It was cool to see everyone and let them finally meet my family.

I havent seen or talked to any of them since then though.

Now I found all of them on facebook. I didnt get to meet my cousin David or his wife when I went up in 99/00 because they werent there. I just spoke to her on facebook and she is so nice!

He was one of my favorite cousins. I am just so thrilled!

My uncles are all getting up there in age and I know it wont be too long before I have to go up for funerals and such. Now I wont feel like such a stranger.

CrazyinVA

Staff member
Facebook is awesome for reconnecting with people, I've found lots of old friends on there, even a long-lost penpal from Australia :)

Awesome that you found your cousins! (and PM me if you wanna add me! lol)

KTMom91

I love Facebook...and I had to be dragged, kicking and screaming, to set up a page. Actually, Miss KT set it up, saying I needed to enter the 21st century. Like I'd been sending smoke signals, and chiseling letters to people on stone tablets...

So glad you were able to find family!

Fran

Former desparate mom
Janet, how wonderful for you. I think family is so comforting as we get older.
Hope this is the beginning of a long connection with them.

donna723

Janet, that's so great that you've caught up with more of your family! It's true that it becomes more important to us as we grow older, and when you have kids and grandkids you want them to know where they came from! I love Facebook too. I've reconnected with so many people ... some that I went to school with even! And lots of relatives that we were only on a 'Christmas card' basis with before, now I hear from them all the time!

One girl I know (a 'semi' relative) is giving her dad his own Facebook page as a birthday gift! She's my kids' cousin on their dad's side and they've always been close. She knows her dad would be hooked if he just tried Facebook but he refused. So she set him up a page herself and will 'give' it to him on his birthday - ready made! She sent friend requests to all his relatives and friends, posted every picture she could get her hands on. Think he'll be surprised? ;)

Last edited:

Lothlorien

facebook has helped me connect with several family members that I would not have, if not for FB. It's so thrilling to connect with family that you haven't seen in years. I know that feeling very well. Quite a bit has happened to me over the past six months....it's awesome. Leaves you on cloud nine for a while, right?