Oh, I so love moving

Abbey

Spork Queen
You know it's bad when you have packed roughly 20 boxes a day for the last two weeks and your house doesn't look any different. It really isn't junk. I'm not a keeper of things.

And, I still have lots to go.

I get up at 6am, pack, pack, pack, then go find boxes, then pack, pack...TRY to clean (yeah, that's going to happen right now), go to work, read the board for my precious 15 minutes, then pack again. Sigh. Two weeks to go.

I hate moving.

Abbey

witzend

I look at it as a way to get new stuff. We're remodeling the kitchen, and I needed to clear the cabinets. I also have a friend who is very ill with cancer and there was to be a garage sale for her the weekend I was clearing out the cabinets. I was able to in good conscience get rid of 8 boxes of mismatched wine glasses, martini glasses, a crock pot, coffee cups from an old set, doo-dads, etc. These were things I never used. If I really feel I need them when we set up the new kitchen, I will shop for a deal on new stuff, but for now I'm happy with it.

Good luck packing. It's the worst part of moving!

Abbey

Spork Queen
Trust me, I don't keep things I don't use. I do have a pile that the Salvation Army is getting next Saturday, but I'm just beat. We don't really have any furniture!!

easy child is being a big pattotie and not doing anything to help. It's 104 degrees today. What is he doing? Well...he *was* playing his video game until I cut the cord in half a few minutes ago that goes to our router. Now he's pouting.

Well, pout away. I don't think he needs to mess with me right now.

Abbey

Abbey

Spork Queen
Everything is packed in such random boxes. I have kitchen stuff with clothes so the boxes won't be too heavy. All I know is that is husband who is UNPACKING all of this.

Abbey

Andy

I have an mother in law moving story:

We moved when easy child was almost 3 yrs old. mother in law asked if she could watch easy child at a nearby park, "So you can clean". Now understand, this was not a helpful offer, it was more of a snooty "You have to clean". I let her have easy child for about 1/2 hour and ran some errand or something. When I picked up easy child, mother in law asks, "Did you get the cleaning done?" "I didn't clean" She was so mad, "What? Why did you not clean? Do you expect husband (aka my most wonderful son who shouldn't have to lift a finger at home) to do ALL the work himself?"
I picked up easy child and as I turned to leave answered her question with, "Well, if husband wants to do it on his own, I guess he can." (my parents have never butted into my life once I was on my own and I never allowed mother in law to either)

Hound dog

Nana's are Beautiful
Abbey

Since husband and I moved about every 3 yrs I've gotten rather proficient at moving. Doesn't make me hate it any less, let me tell you. And I'm thrilled to be in my forever home now.

If you're packing dishes with clothing, make sure husband understands this. Otherwise there may be a major disaster when he goes to unpack at the other end.

If I lived closer I'd come over and give you a hand.

(((hugs)))

Abbey,

I wish we could all come help you! Moving, ugh....

I agree, packing is the worst part because it forces you to revisit choices you made in the past and pushes the issue of current choices. Neither of which are my favorite.

I agree , easy child needs to help out. Let him know that anything that isn't packed doesn't make it to the new place!

Abbey,

I so totally agree with you - I HATE packing too!!! The only thing I hate just as much is having to unpack... I've never had to pack in 104 degrees - I NEVER want to either!!!

Your easy child deserves a huge kick in the :censored2: - He deserves much more but at least this would be a start...:mad:

Hopefully, all of this will just be a not so pleasant memory soon... Hang in there!!! WFEN

mstang67chic

Going Green
Ugh. That's never any fun. I dread the next time we move because the last time was a total breeze. We had rented a house for a year from the day we got back from our honey moon till just over a year later. We bought the house right across the street. I didn't pack a single thing except for putting my dishes and glasses in a box or two just to carry across the street. And even when we moved into the rental it wasn't too bad. We went from a tiny 1 bedroom apartment to a 3 bedroom house. Plus most of my kitchen and bath stuff was new from the wedding. We carted in the boxes, I gave the dishes, glasses, etc. a quick dunk in dishwater and put it away. I had a nice big pile of boxes on the back porch when I was done but still relatively easy.

Good luck with stuff and enjoy the new place when you get there!

Abbey

Spork Queen
Well, I spent 6 hours packing this morning. Then a girlfriend called and said she had rented a cabana at a very nice pool. husband was going off to do a job...easy child still in bed.

I literally had my keys in my hand when she called. I needed just a few hours break. Then husband calls. He forgot to take his computer to the event. It's only a 10 minute drive, he says. Yeah...40 minutes later I get to where he is, then another hour to get to the hotel she is staying at.

I chill out in the pool for about an hour and get a call from husband...easy child needs the car! He has an event in an hour!!

So, I booked it back home. So much for a day off.

Abbey

slsh

member since 1999
Oh Abbey, I hear you. Sorry it's box city over there right now. I thought I was the only person who packed like that!!! I've never had any rhyme or reason - just have thrown whatever was ready to go in the closest box. Made unpacking a bit like Christmas! ;)

Glad you got a bit of a break today. You will get it all done, eventually. Hang in there!

F

flutterbee

Oh, hon, I feel your pain. Packing is the pits. I really don't mind unpacking because it's kind of exciting setting up your new home, but packing....ugh. Double ugh!! I don't keep a lot of things either...am definitely not a pack rat...but it's amazing what I'll get rid of after 2 weeks of packing. LOL Nope...not packing that just to unpack it again.

Where's Raoul? Isn't he helping?

Star*

call 911........call 911
Two thoughts -

Craigs list - FREE

FREECYCLE _ COME AND GET (list) IT.

I'm sure he won't miss the Wii and think about how happy some Mother's child will be. (I am hugely bad today) :laugh:

amazeofgrace

A maze of Grace - that about sums it up
I have sympathy pains for you, I loathe moving, I have done it 9 times in the past 17 years, which sadly 5 of those were in and out of my parents house (where I am right now!)

Abbey

Spork Queen
I'm telling you...if there were a thermo in the house right now, it would be 200 degrees. Moving 3 people to three houses is a bit taxing. I seem to be the only one to do the work. I'm doing the work because I just want it over.

Abbey