OHI or Emotionally Disturbed.

crazymama30

These are my 2 choices for classification for difficult child's IEP, which he will get. I am just not sure which to go with, or both????? I can get over the emotionally disturbed label, anyone with a cyclic mood disorder could be emotionally disturbed. But my concern is that others who see that label could be put off, and there could be stigma's associated with it.

Opinions????

crazymama30

Thanks JJJ, I like reason 5. I am thinking of going with the OHI and ED. In Oregon the definition of ED is very broad, and I want this IEP to stay with us to middle school. right now difficult child is doing well, but I think middle school will be tough. I think OHI goes towards his ADHD and the ED would address more of the mood/behavior issues? We tend to have more issues surrounding behavior anyhow. I have not decided yet, I talked to psychiatrist about it but also want to talk to the school psychiatric. More opinions from the site would be appreciated too.

SRL

I'm surprised to hear that the school is letting you make the decision. Usually the label is discussed and agreed upon at a team meeting based on the student's match to the criteria.

wakeupcall

difficult child has a diagnosis for school of ADHD/OHI and ED. They brought in their own psychologist who came up with that diagnosis. Actually, I didn't care.....it validated what I'd been telling them all along. By getting that diagnosis he has SO many more options for help. I'd look at it closely if you thing your difficult child needs additional help in any area.

crazymama30

The school isn't really letting me make the decision on my own, I am thinking about which classification I want. I think they could go with either or both, but I do believe they will let me take the lead. They are really quite good to work with, they suggested the extra tests by school psychiatric, and they truly want difficult child to succeed.

Right now difficult child is doing fairly well in school, but middle school is in 2 years and he does not handle change well, and does even worse with less structure. I am very worried about middle school, and want good things in place before we get there.

Martie

You are more likely to win a manifestation determination hearing with ED than OHI, if that is a consideration to you.

In some cases for secondary students, the greatest value in having an IEP is the legal protection it confers against arbitrary suspension and expulsion.

Martie

crazymama30

Sorry Martie, I need to learn to google things before I ask.

So MD will help us if difficult child has an incident, say a fight, at school. It will keep him from being suspended or expelled without a Manifest determination hearing that will tell us if his disability is manifesting and that is what caused the incident. There are cirumstances, bringing a weapon to school, causing bodily harm (was described) that will trump that. Do I have the gist of it?

margie007

Emotionally Disturbed is a serious label that should be given to only those who meet the criteria as outlined by the federal regulations. A certified Psychologist can make that determination and the student can receive specialized instruction to address the particular concerns. One consideration may be to have a primary and a secondary classification. It is true that transitions are difficult for all children moving from elementary to middle school but especially for our special needs population.