OK Canadians

InsaneCdn

Not sure what you call "freezing". We're headed for -40... before windchill. That Polar Vortex can jolly well take itself back to the POLAR region, thank you.

(as in, it's cold enough that a car plugged in to a working block heater is still touch-and-go to start if it's been parked for more than 6 hours)

If you've got half of that (0 F or -20 C), I'll trade ya.

BusynMember

Oh, IC, you are sooooooooooo not alone. It is (I only know Fahrenheit, like most Americans (sigh) ) something like --15 with the windchill or it was earlier. They don't call Wisconsin The Frozen Tundra for nuttin. It's certainly not just Canada.

InsaneCdn

-40C = -40F. It's the point at which the two scales cross. So... if you're at -15 C or F...it's no where near -40... (rofl)

-15 (C or F) would feel pretty balmy right about now.

GoingNorth

Crazy Cat Lady
I guess you could come down here to warm up then. We are at -15F on our way down to -25F with windchills of -45F.

Still bloody cold in our wimpy books, and I don't have a block heater. Did wrap up the battery for overnight though, I have an appointment tomorrow that I can't miss due to a dead battery. I have a full tank of gas so frozen fuel lines/filter shouldn't be a problem.

Scent of Cedar *

And in the morning, the tires will be frozen flat on one side.

Did your car start, Going?

Cedar

P.S. I still think that anyone who has not experienced temps this low is missing something very special. Just to walk out into it at night with the stars so crystal clear is an amazing thing.

Everything is silent.

Take care of yourselves, everyone

InsaneCdn

IC, do you at least have a garage for your car?
FOMHLMHO.

1) Yes we have a two car garage. *correction* we have a heated two car garage.
2) No, my car isn't in there. Nor is difficult child's, easy child/difficult child's, or husband's.

It's too full of other stuff to fit the cars in. :D

Block heaters, extension cords running to every outlet, and... we have to watch who parks where so nobody is blocked in when they have to leave. Welcome to the land of frozen brain cells.

BusynMember

LOLOLOL, IC! Ah, yes. the garage as a keeper-of-all-things-but-cars. I remember!!!!!

Too funny.

I do have to give a shout out to my Wisconsin neighbors. Although it is ungodly cold, people are saying to themselves "Oh, I don't give a ****." I just was out and saw several people with wide open coats blowing back in the wind and one very heartly soul wearing ski pants (the type with snaps over the shoulders) and no coat at all. I also see a lot of people not wearing boots.

One can certainly get used to everything. To be honest, the short walk I had to and from the car did not make me feel cold.

GoingNorth

Crazy Cat Lady
Cedar, yes. I just got back in from un-wrapping the battery and starting up the car. It started fine and is now warming up. It is up to -4 with a WC of -19. Considerably warmer than it was overnight when the WC hit -46. It actually didn't feel that cold.

I'm sure the tires are frozen flat on one side, though. I'm leaving in a few minutes as I have to drive the car for a little bit before I park it again to go in for my blood work.

What sucks is that it's supposed to be like this all week.

KTMom91

Being a native Californian...I don't know how you guys stand weather like that. Seriously. It's in the 40's right now and I'm chilly.

GoingNorth

Crazy Cat Lady
KT, the last thing I want to see right now is 40s. We've got 3' of snow down. If that starts to melt and then re-freezes, it'll be a nightmare.

BusynMember

When it's in the 40's here, most people around here just throw on sweat shirts. Even the high thirties don't really make us cold.

I personally love winter and even the uber cold days and nights. It is very peaceful. Nobody is yelling outside or jogging or playing loud music. I adore peace and quiet and the winter is very pretty. As long as I don't have to walk outside or do anything outside, I'm good. I couldn't have warm weather year around.Large bugs gross me out. Tornados and other works of nature scare me (yes, I'm easily scared) and I'm not a people person so everyone making noise outside bothers me. I visited my son in Missouri in the summer and I couldn't stand being outside in the humid heat. I just wanted to finish what we were doing and go inside where the air was blasting. My son has never gotten used to the MO heat. He grew up in Chicago. He has lived there for five years now and still thinks their winters are warm and their summers are intolerable...his word.

And if it's 75-80 and humid, I am hot and go inside to put the air on. Yes, I'm a warm weather wuss :p

GoingNorth

Crazy Cat Lady
My air conditioning goes on as soon as it hits 72*. I hate hot weather!

It wasn't too bad out today at all. I got my blood draw taken care of, ran some errands and came back home. Just got back in, now that the car has cooled off, from wrapping up my battery-baby for the night.

It's only supposed to go down to -15 tonight with -30 WC, so nothing like last night.

It wouldn't be so bad if this ol' trailer wasn't so drafty. Once I get moved down to the IL/WI state line, I'll have to get used to hot summers again. Not looking forward to that part of the move.

The winter quiet is nice, though up here we have the snowmobile nuts blasting around at all hours of the night and day and those things are LOUD!

I nearly got clobbered on my way to the hospital by some twit who tried to take the same curve in the trailer park that I wiped out on 3 years ago at 15mph (hit a tree) at at least 30mph. She managed to miss the tree and the trailer behind it, but landed in a snowbank.

By the time I got stopped and sorted out, she was already calling the police and her husband. Said she was OK, but her car didn't look so hot.

It was gone by the time I got back, so I assume she either got pulled out and drove away, or got towed.

MWM, I did see one of your "WTF" sorts in the hospital parking lot: older gent in a fall camo jacket and jeans and sneakers, no hat, no gloves, smoking a cig and leaning into the wind. Takes all kinds, I guess.

BusynMember

GN, actually I had to go out quite a bit today. By the second swing out, I was tired of getting dressed so warm since I knew I'd get hot in the car anyway. I just put on my coat and left the hat and gloves at home. However, I did not have to walk far.

It didn't seem that cold to me either. I guess we're just used to it.

I like the low 70s and love, love the 60s. But I'm not a warm weather person, especially if there is any hint of humidity. I'd rather be able to snuggle up at night than feel damp even with the4 air on. Something cozy about snuggling under warm covers, I think. I can't do that in the summer and it bothers me. I have never wanted to move where it is warm all year round and blazing hot in the summer, like in Florida. And the b-b-bugs!!!! And the a-a-alligators!!!!!! And hurricanes, tornadoes, earthquakes, bah. I'll take our weather.

Maybe if I loved people and noise and hustle-bustle I would like the summer more.

I love spring and fall but we never have them...lol.

GoingNorth

Crazy Cat Lady
I guess I'm not very "green", as I set the window A/C in my bedroom at 67 in the summer and sleep under my comforter even then. I don't sleep well if my bedroom isn't cool. I set it at 72 during the day.

I also run around in a hoodie when it's in the 40s. In fact, this year, I didn't break out the parka until it got down into the high 20s, and even then was sometimes too warm.

I will probably have to buy a different winter coat once I finally move as this one was purchased for our conditions up here and will be too warm for SE WI. Will have to get some suitable summer clothing as well, as we usually don't get out of the mid-80s.

Last summer was lovely...70's for the most part with some 60s thrown in.

BusynMember

Yes. Last summer was the best one ever. To me the perfect temps are 50-70 and little humidity. Guess that's why we are Wisconsonites.

I am kind of laughing at how warm you think it will be on the state line. I lived in Chicago most of my life. It's still cold. And summer is pretty much the same weather we get up here in mid-Wisconsin. But you will get less snow than up North in Wisconsin. But even Chicago has had it's fair share of snow banks over six feet high. Being so small, I know because I would look up at them and think, "Yep. I'm in Chicago." ;)