Ok cyber slueths (Suz)

Abbey

Spork Queen
I'm trying to figure out an inscription on a coin my grandfather left me (part of the book). I can't find ANYTHING.

It simply says: [FONT=&quot]Linnie Jo Todd Lex

Kudos to anyone who can.

Abbey
[/FONT]

witzend

It sounds like family names. Can you photograph the coin (both sides) and let us see? Are there other words or pictures or symbols?

Abbey

Spork Queen
It's a thin silver coin about the size of a 50 cent piece. It was the only thing handed down to me from my grandmother, who got it from my grandfather that I never met. He passed before I was born.

It says "Good Luck" on one side, and the American Flag on the other side, as well as the inscription. Never got the story about why it was so important. :(

I don't think he was ever in a war. I'll have to ask my mom.

Tonight I will scan it. Probably won't scan that well as it's quite worn.

Abbey

meowbunny

Sounds like a family coin to me with the names of children on it. These were pretty common in the WWI and WWII, especially for soldiers.

You might want to check with a local coin dealer. They might have a better idea of when it was made, etc. (At least you're in Vegas where there's lots of them.)

Suz

(the future) MRS. GERE
How fun, Abbey! I haven't the faintest idea. I was going to suggest what MB said- to take it to a coin dealer(s) and see what they say.

Cool!

Suz

Sara PA

Are the four words engraved or raised?

Seems if it was a coin bought to bring someone good luck, the names of that person's children or siblings would be engraved.

If it's a coin of some sort that was circulated, the words would be cast when the coin was made.

Abbey

Spork Queen
They are slightly raised, but not engraved. Don't know if that makes sense.

I'm sure it's not worth any kind of money, and I don't really care about that. I just want to know the history.

Abbey

Marcie Mac

Just Plain Ole Tired
I will call SO who is up at his coin dealer friends today and ask him soon as one of the kids who has a phone comes back.

You know what it looks like to me - one of those pieces you got at a Carnival eons ago (I am at least an eon old so I remember what they look like and how you made them)

Marcie

Sara PA

Do you have a family genealogist? I bet there are siblings on some branch of your family tree named Linnie, Jo, Todd and Lex.

Suz

(the future) MRS. GERE
Marcie, after I looked at the pictures, that's what I was thinking, too- some kind of souvenir. Maybe they are his kids' names or nicknames?

Linnie Jo could be two people ...or one named Linnie Jo (like Billy Bob ;) )

Suz

witzend

I saw that too, Marcie. Abbey, where is your family from? They may have been made at one of the World's Fairs. That absolutely looks like a stamped coin you make at a carnival or fair.

Abbey

Spork Queen
I'm fairly positive that is what it is, but the name puzzles me.

Ok, right now I'm calling my mom. She's generally pretty mum about family, but maybe I'll get some answers.

Abbey

witzend

"Jo" is probably Josephine. "Linnie" could be Eleanor.

Whatever it is, that coin is well worn and was kept in someone's pocket for years.

by the way, the notched hole is for the machine to hold the coin in the correct position during stamping.

Hound dog

Nana's are Beautiful
You know, this is interesting stuff.

I wonder why these names were so important, and they must have been for your grandfather to have carried the coin around for so many years.

They could be family.

They could be friends who may or may not have went off to war.

Lots and lots of possibilities.