OK, I'm officially OLD

muttmeister

I got on the computer last night and applied for Social Security; should get my first check the beginning of February.

Why don't I feel old? I'm not sure I even feel like an adult. Maybe it is because my mother is still alive and in fairly good shape (for 95) but I still feel like I'm not even grown up yet, let alone OLD.

Somebody told me this week that when marketing to older people, you should keep in mind that they all think they are 15 years younger than they really are. I don't think that's it. I think it is that young people in marketing think we should act 15 years older than we really do.

I'm not against getting older; don't plan any plastic surgery, botox, etc. Don't want to get a 30 year old boyfriend :faint: or anything like that. I like the age I am but part of me still feels like I'm about 30.

I guess insanity does run in my family.

Hound dog

Nana's are Beautiful
LOL mutt.

husband can apply in Feb. I just keep wondering where the time went. It's doesn't seem right that he's old enough.

But husband acts like he's 90 something...........so I guess he doesn't count. LOL

Besides, haven't you heard? The new elderly are 70 plus. :D

klmno

Remember- you are only as old as you feel!

Actually, I have heard that the reason getting older is so hard is because in our minds and hearts we are the same people so it is difficult to deal with our bodies showing signs, things starting not to work so well, getting tired easier, things like that.

muttmeister

Besides, haven't you heard? The new elderly are 70 pl

Yeah, well, I'm old enough that I don't think of anybody being "elderly" until they are at least 80.

I have a couple of friends my age who are "old" but most of the people I know my age are still in their prime both mentally and physically. I'm sure if I had physical problems to deal with, I would probably feel older than I do but unless you're an athlete or somebody who makes their living doing hard, physical labor, I don't think you notice much change at this age. Most people my age that I know are still jogging, doing aerobics, bowling, playing softball, swimming, working in their yards and gardens, and doing pretty much the same things they've always done. Thank the Lord that I'm one of those who isn't afflicted with lots of physical problems.

donna723

Me too, Mutt! I have a few aches and pains here and there, nothing serious. It's more annoying than anything. I really don't feel any different than I ever did. And I don't consider myself to be 'old'. It helps that most people think that I'm in my fifties somewhere - I'll be 64 next February. Not that I look that good, I just don't look 63, whatever 63 looks like.

I still have two more years to go before I can retire and I am SO looking forward to it! I have to be 66 to get my full social security and I just couldn't live off of what I would get if I did it any earlier. By that time I will have 25 years in at work, meaning my pension will be higher and they will pay a higher percentage of my insurance. If I could do it now, I would jump all over it! It's not that I mind working or that I have some big plans for when I retire or that it's hard for me to work, but it will be so nice not to have to get up early every day, do all that getting ready, then driving 30+ miles to get there, then putting up with all the crappola once I get there! And I do find my attitude changing now that I am starting to see the "light at the end of the tunnel". I'm a lot more outspoken at work now than I used to be, a lot less tolerant of all the B.S. that I've had to put up with all those years now that I don't have that much longer to go. I'm thoroughly enjoying that part!

Last edited:

DammitJanet

My dad is one of those elderly people who dont seem elderly. In fact, he is in better shape than me! He worked up until he was in his mid 70s and then they had to pretty much run him out on a rail...lol. He still gets calls from them about some aspect of running the company at different times. I think he retired three times before the last one finally stuck.

Funny thing though...one day the four of us (my dad, step-mom, me and Tony) were out to eat lunch and the waitress gave us all the senior discount...lmao.

donna723

You know, it's funny but it has never once occurred to me to ask for a senior discount! I just never think about it. I just found out that for the last three years I could have had a 'senior' checking account at my bank! It's exactly like what I have now, but without the monthly service charge and I wouldn't have to pay to order more checks - checks are free! Maybe I better check this out a little more!

I really do think it's all in your head, it's your attitude. When I was a little kid, my grandparents were in their fifties and still in very good health, but they were OLD people! They considered themselves to be old people. They acted like old people, they dressed like old people, they hung out with other old people - they WERE old people! When I hit fifty, I was nowhere near "old" and I'm still not! I like seeing the confused look on people's faces when I tell them I'm retiring in two years because they don't think I'm nearly old enough!

DammitJanet

Donna...my dad started asking for the senior discounts the second he hit 50...lol. He was born during the depression and he will squeeze a penny so hard it screams. But he is only that way with himself. When it comes to me or the grandkids, he is very giving. I mean he doesnt just throw money around but he doesnt just send 5 bucks on their birthdays either. I used to send him a list of things the kids wanted for Xmas for him to pick from but I had to stop that because he would get them everything on the list...lol. I kept telling him...just get them a couple of things but tell me which you are getting so I can try to get them something else on the list...lmao. That didnt work too well. So next he would send me money but still show up with his own gifts he picked out...argh! He was a good Papa. Now he is a good Great Grandpa.

DammitJanet

ML....you are my age...ok...I will be 48 in 2 months...we get our AARP cards in 2 years. That means we should get most senior discounts soon! I actually have an AARP medical insurance card and I flip that out and use it at hotels...lol.

BusynMember

Ah, I don't feel old, but 56 sounds old. I remember when I was 48 and thought THAT was old!

Everyone, take advantage of senior discounts. We EARNED them!!!:tongue:

DDD

Well, kids, it ain't so bad being the oldest of the group. Somedays I actually doh't look too old and absolutely I don't feel that old. Of course when people "hear" how old I am...well, I'm not sure what they see. LOL

Alot of women don't know this important truth. IF you were married for ten years before you got divorced AND you didn't remarry...you can draw SS off your Ex's work records. Generally that means alot more money coming in since men most often earn more. Tell friends that may not know. Meanwhile...I'm off for my nap. ;) DDD

WhymeMom?

No real answers to life..
Okay, short story on carding....... a friend went into a liquor store and bought a six pack of beer, when she got to the counter the mature woman at the register asked to see her ID. Friend was extremely flattered, thinking the clerk was asking because she looked so young...... when friend commented oh, you think I look like I'm under 21? Clerk replied, No, just checking to see if I should give you the senior discount..........

Wiped Out

Staff member
Whymemom-Too funny!!

Usually I feel much younger than I actually am; other days I feel 20 years older!

Star*

call 911........call 911
AGE has NOTHING to do with it. State of mind, spirit and sense of being have a lot to keeping ones age in their head. I have often guessed you Mutt at a fresh 40 something. So viva la youth. ROCK ON LITTLE HIPPIE! :peaceful:

TPaul

Idecor8
rofl, at why me mom!!!! I can imagine her face!!!:surprise::surprise::surprise:

When I was an 10 or so I used to think about how old I would be when the new millineum would be here and it would be 2000. I would be 33 years old, and boy I have to tell you that I thought that 33 would be ssssssssooooooooo oooooolllllddddd!!!! Wish I was 33 again!!!

I always heard the saying that you are only as old as you feel!!
If I go by that some days I think I feel about 103!!!

Tpaul

GoingNorth

Crazy Cat Lady
it's not that I feel emotionally old under normal circumstances, but on occasion it rears up and hits me in the face...things like hearing "my" music on Muzak systems in stores and offices.

Stuff like my looking at a gorgeous long haired youngster and saying to my 3 years younger sister, Man, he looks just like Bob Seger, doesn't he?

Clerk behind the counter said, "Who?"

Day to day where it is hitting me is the arthritis and stuff, I keep getting reminded of how I can't do stuff I could do a couple of decades ago.

trinityroyal

I agree with all of you who say that you're only as old as you feel. So, judging by my behaviour yesterday when Little easy child and I were goofing around, I'm about 8 1/2...

Trinity

Abbey

Spork Queen
Mentally I don't feel old, other than forgetting things all the time. ;) But, I know I'm aging when I instantly spie the bathroom in public places. It can never be more than a 15 second sprint for me. If more than that...I'm screwed.

Abbey

trinityroyal

But, I know I'm aging when I instantly spie the bathroom in public places. It can never be more than a 15 second sprint for me. If more than that...I'm screwed.

I've suffered from tiny-bladder all my life (sorry about too much information). I had no idea that this was related to aging. I thought it was just a thing.