Ok, Moms. Dating for girls at what age?

TerryJ2

Aaargh. Sore topic here.
The NEW way to date is to exclusively spend time with-just one person. No dating around, as it implies sleeping around. Just the oppostite of what it was like when we were kids.
And yes, they consider talking on the phone "dating."
We talked to our daughter about that idiotic peer group idea until our faces were blue. We finally convinced her that going out for coffee in the a.m. was not a date, so she was able to expand her social circle that way.
She "dated" in groups when she was 15, and we allowed her to date alone when she was 16.
Best of luck!

BusynMember

I'm not sure that cracking the whip on 16 really works. I was kind of a difficult child and if parents would not have let me date at 14, I would have anyways...any way I could. That's my dilemma. Do restrictions actually work? My daughter is not a difficult child, but teens are, well, teens. She's not one yet...I'm sort of planning my strategy ahead of time. For now she has told me she doesn't want a boyfriend anymore. My guess is she has heard her friends talk about kissing etc. and I'm sure she wants no part of that yet. But the day will come soon enough...and I'd rather know about it than find out because she breaks the "until 16" rule and I don't know about it.

TerryJ2

Luckily, there were several very active moms in our school group who invited kids to their houses for study dates, and then out for pizza. Or take everyone to a movie and dinner while on winter break. Things like that took the edge off "dating" since things were planned for the kids, keeping them occupied with-the peer group. I'm all for stalling the inevitable with-o making it look too obvious. :)