Ok question

mrscatinthehat

Seussical
I am so run down at the moment (stress nope couldn't be that....) as such I have this major cold thing going on. Now how do you get healthy when you sick? I mean compared to others I have nothing to complain about but being drained and breathing icky stuff doesn't help one to stay motivated.

Beth

trinityroyal

Beth,

One of my favourite things to do when I have a nasty major cold is to do some sort of cardio exercise. It's he// for the first few minutes, but then all of a sudden your airways open up and the nasal congestion goes away and you can breathe.

Back before I had children, when I was a serious gym rat, I used to do the level 3 super step class whenever I had a rotten cold. Just being able to breathe and not have to blow my nose all the time was worth it to drag myself to the gym, and the endorphin rush afterward kept the aches and pains at bay for hours.

I'm not suggesting that you go to that extreme, and it might be worth checking with your doctor or another expert about whether it's advisable (back in the day, when I used to teach dance, I was in frighteningly good shape...I can't even contemplate a super step class without getting the heebie jeebies these days), but a walk at a mild pace or some gentle stretching might have the same sort of effect.

Just my $0.02.
Hope it helps

Trinity

LittleDudesMom

Beth,

I am run down right now too. I think I relaxed too much over the holidays! But seriously, I think I have some internal stress and I feel a tad on the down side emotionally rather than physically.

I suggest you make a nice warm cup of tea and go to bed early under a nice warm comforter. Living a healthy life includes escaping the stressors of daily life from time to time and taking care or pampering yourself. Now, if I could just take my own advice.........

You've had some rough things to deal with lately. When we are run down we are more apt to catch colds or the flu. I hope you feel better soon. Take care of yourself (and if you induldge from time to time, add a little brandy to that tea!).

Sharon

Wiped Out

Staff member
I agree with Sharon-pamper yourself a bit now-get a good night's rest-maybe fall asleep reading a good book.

Trinity has a good point too. Often if I can drag myself to the club when I have a cold (just so long that's truly what it is-if it's the flu no way would I do a workout) I feel better-I don't push myself as much but just opening the nasal passages feels good.

So maybe tonight-go to bed early and then do a bit of a cardio tomorrow.

Hope you are feeling better soon. Hugs.

ck1

Beth: I'm with you! I am getting an awful cold and starting to feel very achy today. Can't say mine is stress-related, but I feel really ichy, therefore, getting motivated to work out and lose weight is not the priority I want it to be.

I'm very frustrated and hoping just to get through the day. My two little ones don't really care how I'm feeling. Even though my husband works from home when he's not out of town, I'm sure he'll be too busy to help me and then he's leaving Sunday for the week!

I'll be trying some of these tips myself hoping for some relief quickly so I can begin on the long road to getting more healthy!

Beth,

I also agree with the advice that both Sharon and Trinity have given you. Like Trinity, when I'm sick I try to exercise the best I can. in my humble opinion, when you feel like doing it the least is when you need it the most. I also agree with Sharon that you need extra rest and TLC.

I don't have any proof to back up the one other thing that I do. I take an extra 500 mgs of vitamin C daily. When I'm sick, I take an extra 1000 mgs of vitamin C daily. I'll take one tablet in the morning and one in the evening. My pharmacist takes an extra 500 mgs of vitamin C daily. He says he hasn't been sick in years. He also says that your body gets rid of the vitamin C that it can't use so there is no danger of taking an overdose or a toxic amount.

I find that even when I get sick, I seem to get better faster by doing the above things. I hope you feel better ASAP!!! WFEN