Ok, so, I gotta share this picture...

klmno

Is this the same dog that is a puppy- not housebroken? Just wondering, because judging by that cute smile on difficult child's face- I don't think that dog is going anywhere and you need to just settle in to it!! LOL!!

They are all adorable- I hope you have plenty of energy!

crazymama30

They are all adorable. Your little boy has me singing "All I want for christmas is my 2 front teeth."
Look like they are all keepers.

Jungleland

Welcome to my jungle!
OK, way too cute! difficult child is so adorable!! Pup is definetly a keeper!!!!!

Thanks so much for sharing!

Hugs,
Vickie

Shari

IsItFridayYet?
Yup, that's her.

And yup, I think you're right. I don't think she's going anywhere, either. :slap:I gave up and we've started nightly training sessions after she puts difficult child to bed. She's quick, tho, gotta give her credit.

Her fetching skills are iffy right now (which difficult child loves to play with dogs), but I think we'll even get to that. She seems to enjoy doing what she's asked, once she understands it. She adores difficult child, they wrestle and chase, she comes when he calls her(that's a gold mine, right there), he takes her along anywhere we let him. He takes her to the kennel when we leave for work/school and as soon as we get home, rain or shine, he runs to the kennel to get her out. At bedtime, she assumes her position at the end of his bed and rarely gets out of bed until he does, even when he sleeps in. She adores difficult child and hangs close to him most of the time, but she's equally content laying around the yard chewing on whatever delicious tidbits she can scrounge up. She doesn't chase the chickens, but she does like to "go bowling" (lion king - "bowling for buzzards", she is the third dog we've had that does this without actually pursuing the chickens...) She's learning some basic obedience as well as a couple stupid doggie tricks, cause difficult child thinks those are the best (under "normal" circumstances, those would come MUCH later...), and the house training is coming along.

We had found another dog to look at, a cattle dog type that was a fetching machine, but the place backed out on letting us have the dog because husband's dog isn't spayed, so I'm pretty sure this little girl will be staying right here.

And I've resigned myself to being ok with that. :whiteflag: She loves difficult child, and that was the whole point.
:cool_dog:

klmno

It will be ok. When difficult child was about 5 yo, I took him to a place that sold different small breed puppies (I know- I didn't want to support it either and it might have been a mistake in that respect). I took him to introduce him to different breeds, thinking someday we would get a puppy. There was a yippee puppy that got got quiet anytime difficult child went near her. We brought her home the next day, along with a second one. Then, I couldn't handle the 2 puppies and the fact that I thought this was an incompetent decision, given that I was a single working parent and these puppies were not house-trained. So, I found them both good homes- but they weren't kept together. The family that took the yippee female dog allowed us to stay in contact and visit. After a couple of months, the wife called and said her husband wasn't too crazy about this dog, because she was too playful and yippee. We went to visit (must have been about the 3rd time). The dog leaped across the yard onto difficult child and started giving him kisses all over his face. I guess you figured out- we took the dog back and have her to this day. She probably isn';t all his dreams come true in a dog (just like all wives aren;'t the trophies men dream about), but kids can learn, too, that when there is real love, you accept and adapt to what is there. He LOVES his dog, and she loves him. I joke that she is training him for marriage someday. She takes his pillow and kicks him in the head. But she has never been agressive toward him and they LOVE each other. It is a great experience for kids- especially difficult child's.

Your's (or should I say, your difficult child's) is very cute!! You will adjust!

totoro

Mom? What's a difficult child?
Allright he and my little N could be girlfriend and boyfriend! With their love for the dogs and their cute little smiles!
He is adorable!
So are the pups!!! Her little spotted tummy is cute also!

meowbunny

It really does look and sound like a perfect fit. They are truly adorable together and you can see the love. So, .....

.... awwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwww

TerryJ2

Ohhhhhhhhhhhhhh! So sweet.
She sounds smart and loyal. Definitely a keeper. Your difficult child is already reaping the benefits. :)

gottaloveem

Your son is so cute. Is it the black and white dog that you are trialling? That one looks a lot like my dog Lucky. What kind of dog is she?

Shari

IsItFridayYet?
Yup, that's her. The black and white. And, well, um, she's, um....a dog?

Actually, her mama was supposed to be a beagle. But I'm missing the whole beagle thing in her, except that nose and it WORKS like a beagle's. I think she looks like 99% bird dog, pointer or something.

Abbey

Spork Queen
All three are absolutely adorable. I don't know which dog is the new one, but the one of the left...I would not be able to leave a shelter without him. That face. And look at that spotted tummy!!

(Argh...just saw the previous post. Now I know which dog it is.)

Abbey

Shari

IsItFridayYet?
She's got a little story behind her, too, that I think difficult child will think is neat someday. His dog is truly a "rescue" dog (almost all of our dogs have been shelter dogs thru the years).
She came from a very rural, poorer part of the state, where country dogs generally aren't fixed. Apparently, her owner was "taking care of his excess dogs" and shooting them when a neighbor called the shelter. The shelter took what they could catch, and she was one of them. She was 4 months old and had little contact with people at that point.
When the lady from the shelter told me what kind of dog she was and then this story, I thought there was no way this dog would be a fit. And she was 90 miles away from us, so it wasn't like we could just "run over and have a look". I asked this lady to put the dog thru all sorts of stuff and see how it reacted and everything sounded good, so I couldn't just say I wouldn't look at her because her history didn't sound good....ya know? So we drove 90 miles (each way), stopped at 2 other shelters on the way (difficult child liked the dogs, but wasn't interested in taking them home) and went to see Daisy (of all the names...). difficult child wanted to bring her home and try her out.
So here she is. And she IS learning to fetch, tho its not as natural as it was for the labs (obviously). She's really pretty smart, and loves to work for food. "Sit" took her all of 10 minutes to learn.
Its funny how things work out, sometimes. Guess I choose to beleive that there are some things just meant to be.