Old fashion music/groups/songs you loved (or hated)

BusynMember

We have done old fashion everything else so I thought I would try this. What music resonated with you from the 50s and before to the 70s or even 80s. Favorite group? Favorite song? Favorite type of music? Any song that is special from then?

I. Groups---I liked individual songs more than groups. I did like lots of the Beatles songs, especially John's songs. I liked the Buckingham's songs mostly. The Turtles were okay. Rolling Stones. I can't really remember being nuts over any group. Maybe Credance Clearwater...big favorite.

2. In my neck of the woods, different types of rock was popular and I liked most but not acid rock which is probably like metal rock today. I didn't like what I thought of as music to get high to....lol. I may be the only boomer not to like Led Zepphelan (sic?). I worked for a country music station in Chicago and it was a fun fun job but I did not like most of old fashion country. There were a few songs I loved though. One was "A Legend in My Time" by Ronnie Milshap and I talked to him on the phone once. Talked to lots of country stars usually just to transfer them.
Bubblegum Misic...anyone remember? Most of that got on my nerves!
Never cared much for Disco but did like BeeGees.

3. A song called "Precious and Few" by Climax?? Reminded me of my ex when I still really loved him. You?

Last edited:

Lil

My very first concert, I believe I was 13 or 14, was the Bay City Rollers. My best friend and I LOVED them. Mom took us, went with us of course, and I remember her putting twisted up Kleenex in her ears! LOL!

I was actually out of the Beatles generation just a tad. We were big into the Bee Gees and Andy Gibb and Shaun Cassidy and Leif Garrett. Bubble-gum and disco, that was us. Later on it was more Peter Frampton and Elton John. Then Kiss and glitter rock like Whitesnake.

My high school was pretty much hard rock and country. Lots of country. I was never a huge fan of country, but I like some of the newer stuff now.

I love the song Precious and Few SWOT. It's very romantic.

But, Led Zeppelin is NOT music to get high to! o_O That's Pink Floyd! :thumbsup: Seriously, we had "Stairway to Heaven" as the theme of our senior carnival court.

When I was young, high school and under, I actually did like a number of bands that were "before my time". I loved Herman's Hermits and the Lovin' Spoonful. Anyone remember them? Not that I'd have told anyone that! I liked old Motown.

Songs that mean something to me? Probably the #1 is "Sharing the Night Together" by Dr. Hook and the Medicine Show. It was the first song I ever slow danced to with a boy. ;)

I have a VERY eclectic taste in music. If you asked my favorite today, I'd say Reggae or island music - Jimmy Buffett, etc. :cool: I love putting on loud Reggae when I'm cleaning and bopping around to it. My son once said the only people he knew who liked it was stoners and his mom. LOL

But these days I like most everything besides rap and bluegrass and Dixieland. I have Pandora stations for everything from old 50's like Rockin' Robin and R-E-S-P-E-C-T (great for my walks) to Irish drinking songs to New Age instrumentals.

BusynMember

I knew those old groups you mentioned but they were before my time and I wasn't a big fan of rock before the Beatles. I was still around for Disco lol but wasn't a big fan except i loved the BeeGees even before they did Disco.
I remember parties where everyone was doing drugs to Led Zeppelin lol. I LOVED Motown, especially early Michael Jackson and much more. One of my favorite war songs is "What's Going On" by Marvin Gaye, another I loved.
Country music was considered "hillbilly" music in my area and back then nobody in my world admitted to liking it. Where I live now country is King and my daughter LOVES it. Of course country has really become very good now with many wonderful songs. I just think that back in the day where I lived then nobody could relate to the words. Truckers, many kids, drunks who were out of the closet, etc....not a part of our world back then. But where I live now? Very much their world.

Last edited:

AnnieO

Shooting from the Hip
I grew up with parents who loved music, so I got exposure to a lot. We also lived in Texas, so Country was HUGE. But some of my favorites were Linda Ronstadt, Juice Newton, Dr. Hook & The Medicine Show, Warren Zevon... and JIMMY BUFFETT! I am a Parrothead through and through.

As a teen I got into Elvis and the Beatles... Mom had this 20-record collection of hits from the 50s and 60s, including Charlie Brown, the Lion Sleeps Tonight, Yakety Yak... LOVE LOVE LOVE... And Duran Duran... And hard rock. Glam rock like Poison & Whitesnake. Van Halen.

Now - listening to my mp3 here at work - Tori Amos, Enigma, Frank Sinatra, Motley Crue, and Garth Brooks... LOL

BusynMember

I listen to classical music now (blush).

I have come to adore country music, especially artists like Carrie Underwood and Taylor Swift. I liked John Denver too (R.I.P). Dolly Parten came to our studio and the men were salivating lolol! She was very kind! I didn't speak to her directly but heard her a bit with the others. She was very beautiful from what I remember. I am not sure but I believe she was short.

Pink Elephant

Holy smokes, love this thread!

Boy oh boy, where to start.

Modern Groups...

Saga
Boston
Led Zeppelin
Harlequin

Older Groups...

The Cowsills
Classics IV
Sugarloaf
Steely Dan
Jethro Tull
The Allman Brothers
Bee Gees
Earth, Wind & Fire
Blue Oyster Cult
Blondie
The Cars
Styx
The Yardbirds
The Doors
The Zombies (still one of my all-time favourites)!

And so many more!

Tanya M

Living with an attitude of gratitude
Staff member
I love lots of different music. Some of my favorite is Big Band Swing music, love to play it when I'm cleaning house - my husband laughs because I will stop cleaning to dance.

While I'm at work I have classical or meditative music playing.

I will always love country music - the good old kind not so much the new stuff but really like Garth Brooks and Brooks and Dunn.

Growing up I was exposed to what my older sisters listened to, lots of great bands from the 60's

Bands I loved, Fleetwood Mac, The Bee Gee's, Earth Wind & Fire, ELO, America, Jackson Brown, The Baby's, Boz Scaggs, Eagles, Firefall, Hall & Oats, Journey, Heart, The Cars, Billy Joel, Foreigner, Genesis, Huey Lewis & the News, Toto, Bryan Adams, Eric Clapton, REO, I'm sure there are more just can't think of them now.

My very first concert was The Nitty Gritty Dirt Band.

Fun thread!

Pink Elephant

Oh you guys... you've mentioned so many more that I just loved, and still love to this day!

Billy Joel
Foreigner

Retro Groups...

Starbuck (Moonlight Feels Right)
Chic
KC & The Sunshine Band
Sister Sledge
The Tramps (Thank God it's Friday)
Silver Convention
A Taste of Honey
Heatwave
Ohio Players
Wild Cherry
Average White Band
McFadden & Whitehead
Electric Light Orchestra

Gee... I could keep on going!!! What great memories!

Just put me back in flared pants and give me a cigarette, and I'd be right there!

Nomad

Staff member
These songs for SOME reason have stayed in my head:
“Crystal Blue Persuasion”
“Time in a Bottle”
“Stop in the name of Love”
“Build me a Buttercup”

I like or liked at one point or another: Billy JOEL, Eagles, Tina Turner, Genesis and led Zeplin.

pasajes4

Bob Marley and the Wailers
Jimmi Hendricks
The Doors
The Righteous Brothers
Pink Floyd
Patsy Cline
Garth Brooks
Country Joe and the fish
Lynnard Skinnar
Joe Cocker
Willie Nelson

Pink Elephant

One thing I just love is coming across an older song I haven't heard in ages. I'll play it back, over, and over, and over again. Drives husband batty, but that's the fallout of such when it comes to me and old songs I love.

And then of course there's the memories that are attached to it as well that flood ones mind.

pasajes4

Pink, I have been listening to Pandora one of the oldies playlists. I found myself totally transported to my college days. My grandson asked me why I was smiling with tears running down my face.

Pink Elephant

Pasajes4. I was reminiscing about the later part of the 70's, when Billy Joel (Glass Houses) was it! I remember so many of the songs and does that album ever take me back.