Old-fashioned childhood toys & games...

Pink Elephant

... you remember and had.

Kazoo
Tin-top
Clackers (remember how they smarted when one of those glass balls clunked a finger)?
Lawn Darts (not a single injury or close-call any of us kids had)
Super Slider Snow Skates (way more fun then tobogganing)!
Crazy Carpet (slippery plastic snow slider)
WHAM-O Water Wiggle (oh what fun we had running under it in the heat of summer)!
Disappearing milk and juice baby bottles for our dolls
Glow in the dark Frisbee (never once played Frisbee at night or in the dark)! LOL!
Legos
Lincoln Logs
Barbie Dolls
Silly Putty (remember how you could lift newspaper ink from the newspaper using it)?
Easy Bake Oven (the cakes tasted horrible)! LOL!
Lite-Brite (loved ours)!
Slinky
Etch-A-Sketch (loved mine)!
Duncan Yo-Yo
Monopoly (still love the game to this day)!
Life (love it)!
Operation
Trouble

Tanya M

Living with an attitude of gratitude
Staff member
Oh those clackers! I had bruises from those things!
I loved the disappearing milk in the baby bottles.
I loved my easy bake oven!
Still love to play Monopoly.

Cribbage (still play this with my husband) If I was playing against my dad and I miscounted, he would say "how many"
Candyland
Chutes and Ladder
picture up sticks (I had the glow in the dark ones)
Jacks (I still have a set, tried to play a few weeks ago but the ball I have has lost it's spring - need a new one)
Go Fish
Concentration
Scrabble
Mumbley Peg
Hide -N- Seek
Kick the can
Chrissy doll
Clue

BusynMember

I liked dolls mostly. Baby dolls that looked like babies and did not talk or do anything. But I loved to play House with them. My mom wouldn't let me own a Barbie because she thought they were ugly. She didn't care what I wanted. Frankly I wasn't that into teen dolls anyway. I liked baby dolls. I had a Chatty Cathy and had to beg for that since Mother thought they were "dumb." Most of my dolls were generic. My grandma bought me most of my dolls. We would go shopping and she let me pick them out. We called those times Shopping Sprees. Great fun! I had so many baby dolls!

I put my babies to sleep each night and covered them with blankets. I did this until age 12. If a friend came over, I hid them. I thought I was too old to like dolls.

But I didn't have many friends and I was more of an introvert so I didn't have to do that often.

I remember jump ropes, marbles and Chinese jump ropes for school recess. I wasn't into board games but remember Candy Land which is still around. Pink, a lot of what you mentioned are still around. I didn't use them, but Legos and Lincoln Logs are still in stores. My boys had them. My grandson used to like Legos. My granddaughter has both Legos, Play Dough sets plus an Easy Bake.

We had a swing set.

Trolls have made a comeback. I loved my trolls. I had two. We used to bring them to school and play with them at recess. I'm surprised I was allowed to own one.

I had a Schwinn bike. I didn't use it all that much. Schwinn was cool when I was a child.

I played with my brother a lot. He had a hockey game with little men that we had to turn to hit the puck and we made teams and standings and named the men on our teams. I loved sports but girls didn't play much back then and I wasn't talented athletically. But I spent tons of time with my brother watching baseball and doing a form of Fantasy Baseball before it was even invented. We always say we invented Fantasy Sports.

Pink, I never heard of most of your toys but I am older and you are in Canada. Maybe that's why.

Interesting thread. I very much enjoyed being a child and had a wild imagination. I was in no hurry to grow up so grown up toys didn't appeal to me. But my granddaughter loves housework toys. She has brooms, vacuum cleaner toys etc. and follows my daughter around with them.
It's so cute.

Last edited:

AppleCori

I remember playing games outside quite a bit, that probably aren’t played as much anymore. Some I remember are:

Cops and robbers
Cowboys and Indians
Red Rover
Dodge Ball
Hop scotch
Hula hoops
Jump rope
Red light, green light

Pink Elephant

Oh those clackers! I had bruises from those things!
I loved the disappearing milk in the baby bottles.
I loved my easy bake oven!
Still love to play Monopoly.

Cribbage (still play this with my husband) If I was playing against my dad and I miscounted, he would say "how many"
Candyland
Chutes and Ladder
picture up sticks (I had the glow in the dark ones)
Jacks (I still have a set, tried to play a few weeks ago but the ball I have has lost it's spring - need a new one)
Go Fish
Concentration
Scrabble
Mumbley Peg
Hide -N- Seek
Kick the can
Chrissy doll
Clue
Oh yes, I suffered man-a bruise from those Clackers!

The Easy-Bake Oven was great, but the cake mixes sure left a lot to be desired! LOL!

Yes, kick-the-can and hide-and-seek... we played those all the time! Kick-the-can always at nighttime (in the dark).

Yes, the board game, Clue, loved it! Still love it to this day!

Pink Elephant

I liked dolls mostly. Baby dolls that looked like babies and did not talk or do anything. But I loved to play House with them. My mom wouldn't let me own a Barbie because she thought they were ugly. She didn't care what I wanted. Frankly I wasn't that into teen dolls anyway. I liked baby dolls. I had a Chatty Cathy and had to beg for that since Mother thought they were "dumb." Most of my dolls were generic. My grandma bought me most of my dolls. We would go shopping and she let me pick them out. We called those times Shopping Sprees. Great fun! I had so many baby dolls!

I put my babies to sleep each night and covered them with blankets. I did this until age 12. If a friend came over, I hid them. I thought I was too old to like dolls.

But I didn't have many friends and I was more of an introvert so I didn't have to do that often.

I remember jump ropes, marbles and Chinese jump ropes for school recess. I wasn't into board games but remember Candy Land which is still around. Pink, a lot of what you mentioned are still around. I didn't use them, but Legos and Lincoln Logs are still in stores. My boys had them. My grandson used to like Legos. My granddaughter has both Legos, Play Dough sets plus an Easy Bake.

We had a swing set.

Trolls have made a comeback. I loved my trolls. I had two. We used to bring them to school and play with them at recess. I'm surprised I was allowed to own one.

I had a Schwinn bike. I didn't use it all that much. Schwinn was cool when I was a child.

I played with my brother a lot. He had a hockey game with little men that we had to turn to hit the puck and we made teams and standings and named the men on our teams. I loved sports but girls didn't play much back then and I wasn't talented athletically. But I spent tons of time with my brother watching baseball and doing a form of Fantasy Baseball before it was even invented. We always say we invented Fantasy Sports.

Pink, I never heard of most of your toys but I am older and you are in Canada. Maybe that's why.

Interesting thread. I very much enjoyed being a child and had a wild imagination. I was in no hurry to grow up so grown up toys didn't appeal to me. But my granddaughter loves housework toys. She has brooms, vacuum cleaner toys etc. and follows my daughter around with them.
It's so cute.
Your doll-play and covering them with blankets until age 12, borderline brought me to tears, just knowing the difficult upbringing you had.

Trolls and those hockey and foosball tables, lots of fun. Forgot about the hockey-player tables.

Boy, oh boy... marbles, totally forgot about those. So big in the 60's and 70's!

Pink Elephant

I remember playing games outside quite a bit, that probably aren’t played as much anymore. Some I remember are:

Cops and robbers
Cowboys and Indians
Red Rover
Dodge Ball
Hop scotch
Hula hoops
Jump rope
Red light, green light
Dodge-ball and jump-rope were favourites of mine. My brothers played cowboys & Indians and cops & robbers all the time!

BusynMember

Recess games?

Jump rope
Chinese jump rope
Marbles
Tag
Boys chase cirls and girls chase boys
Hide and seek
Four square

I think I had a radio flyer but if so I didn't use it much. Like the bike. My granddaughter has a Radio flyer.

Last edited:

Pink Elephant

What are clackers? Never heard of that.
Check them out. They were glass balls attached to a string and ring.
clackers.jpg

Pink Elephant

Oh, SOT... LOL!

Santa brought us battery-powered yo-yo's one Christmas. Were they ever neat. We played with them in the dark constantly.

Anyone else remember yo-yo's that lit-up?

pasajes4

Playing frisbee nearly landed me in jail. We used to hang out across the street from the golf course at Fort Sam Houston. We got the bright idea to go on the golf course at midnight to play a round of golf with the frisbee. The sprinklers came on and we all ran for the wall to get back on the road. The M.P.s came. Talk about deer in the headlight. It would seem being on federal property is a felony offense if you are not supposed to be there. I was cute back in those days. I turned on the charm, pleaded innocent, and batted my eyelashes. I dated that young M.P until I went back to college that fall. Fond memories.

Pink Elephant

Sot.... one year Santa brought me this huge yo-yo made out of wood. It was painted in rainbow colours, like a spiral, and the sting was about 5' long, so I had to stand from a chair to use it! LOL! Definitely one of the funniest toys I ever got.