Old-fashioned Fashion...

Pink Elephant

Last time I wore pants with elastic was those rubber pants over a cloth diaper!

You know, OH, you don’t have a signature.

Tell us about yourself....

How many kids? Ages?

Married? 1st hubby? 4th?

Did you have a difficult child?

Anything you do or don’t want to discuss is fine!
LOL, Apple! Silly you! I'm never going to look at my elastic waistband pants the same now after reading your post! :)

I used to have a great signature but deleted it, because I thought no one cared to read it. Will pull together another signature for you now that you've asked.

KTMom91

Flared pants with platform shoes, Dittos, those jeans with the zipper all the way around, big bleached hair, shiny makeup, guys wore Angels Flight pants with platforms, waffle stompers...I graduated high school in 1980, so we had the disco era clothing in the worst way.

Pink Elephant

Flared pants with platform shoes, Dittos, those jeans with the zipper all the way around, big bleached hair, shiny makeup, guys wore Angels Flight pants with platforms, waffle stompers...I graduated high school in 1980, so we had the disco era clothing in the worst way.
I remember the disco type clothing.

How about those ugly silver jackets?

And then there was pleather. A mix between plastic and leather?

As for the old 60's and 70's cigarette pants, they were a snug fitting pant, slightly raised at the bottom leg. My moms looked as though she was going to split right out of them! So tight around her butt! LOL!

Sort of off topic but considering the conversation we're having, I think it fits in well, but I remember when men wore rolled cuffs on their pants and they'd dash their cigarettes ashes into the cuffs. Huh?

BusynMember

Oh! I remember ME rolling up cuffs of my jeans. A lot of people did. For me being short it was great as most of my pants were too long and there was no way I would bother hemming my pants. I just let the bottoms tear and get raggedy, which was not uncommon back then. Had nothing to do with cigarettes.

I did not hem, sew or do buttons. My mom was a talented seamstress but I did t not inherit her talent or liking of that.

AppleCori

Parachute pants. The ones with all the zippers. I remember those from junior high.

Rabbit fur coats.

In high school I wore jeans with the bottoms turned up into “cuffs”. Tall ones. Several inches tall.

Button down shirts with a sweater either draped around the shoulders or worn over in cold weather.

Riddell tennis shoes. Back then they had these white ones that came with lots of colored shoe strings so you could match your outfits.

Penny loafers. I know they were popular in the 50’s, but they came back when I was in high school.

AppleCori

When I went to this school in high school that was in a bad part of a medium city, there were lots of gangs.

Many of them wore variations of the old zoot suit style called Pachuco.

Male and female.

I did not fit in at all.

AppleCori

In my first high school, the boys wore flannel shirts, jeans, and boots. Not cowboy boots, but those lace-up ankle high (just above the ankles). Those boots are still popular today.

I met my hubby online a few years ago. When we were making plans to meet for the first time, he asked what I wanted him to wear. I told him a flannel shirt, jeans, and those boots.

He told me red nail polish.

I still wear red nail polish for him, to this day! Have it on right now.

Pink Elephant

Parachute pants. The ones with all the zippers. I remember those from junior high.

Rabbit fur coats.

In high school I wore jeans with the bottoms turned up into “cuffs”. Tall ones. Several inches tall.

Button down shirts with a sweater either draped around the shoulders or worn over in cold weather.

Riddell tennis shoes. Back then they had these white ones that came with lots of colored shoe strings so you could match your outfits.

Penny loafers. I know they were popular in the 50’s, but they came back when I was in high school.
Remember the rustling nylon pants kick women were on some 10 or more years ago? Seemed everyone was wearing them.

Pink Elephant

In my first high school, the boys wore flannel shirts, jeans, and boots. Not cowboy boots, but those lace-up ankle high (just above the ankles). Those boots are still popular today.

I met my hubby online a few years ago. When we were making plans to meet for the first time, he asked what I wanted him to wear. I told him a flannel shirt, jeans, and those boots.

He told me red nail polish.

I still wear red nail polish for him, to this day! Have it on right now.
I don't wear a lot of nail polish anymore, but in my younger years, pale silver, pale pink, and clear, were my favourites.

I remember all the guys wore long-sleeve flannel shirts back in the day. That was the manly thing to do I guess.

AppleCori

I don't wear a lot of nail polish anymore, but in my younger years, pale silver, pale pink, and clear, were my favourites.

I remember all the guys wore long-sleeve flannel shirts back in the day. That was the manly thing to do I guess.

I do think my liking for flannel shirts and boots goes back to high school. And hairy chests.

Fire-engine red nail polish was never really my style, either, but hubby has a secret thing for it (or not so secret now, I guess)....

BusynMember

I didn't see flannel until I moved to Wisconsin. I love flannel shirt and wear them a lot now. In my part of the world nobody wore flannel shirts. I think that's more a rural thing?

Triedntrue

I wear joggers at home but no elastic waist out and about ever. Anybody remember hot pants and onesies for adults with the snaps in the crotch? My school did not have a smoking room that I knew of but I never smoked. Also mini skirts but we weren't allowed to wear them in school so we wore regular skirts and rolled them up when the authorities were around. The dress code got much more lax between Jr. high and High school though.

AppleCori

My mom and grandmother made most of my clothes when I was young.

I remember wearing a “onesie” exactly once, when I was in 1st or 2nd grade, with a skirt. I had a hard time getting it unsnapped and re-snapped. Never liked them after that.

BusynMember

I wear joggers and sweat pants so I wear waist bands too. I was thinking of plain pants with elastic waist...I don't even think they are sold around here....

I remember hot pants!!!

I never heard of adult onesies.

Anyone else remember those in my opinion hideous Nehru jackets lol. I don't remember when they came out...ick!

Tanya M

Living with an attitude of gratitude
Staff member
We used to slit our jeans almost up the knee then we would sew in extra fabric to make the "bell" on the bottom really BIG! We would use really colorful fabric too. We would also take bric-a-brac and embellish the pockets. Oh we thought we were really styling, me and my sisters.

Lil

You know, the only fashions I can think of that were big in my (very small rural) high school were Gunne Sax dresses - (the really crinkly cotton and lace fancy dresses) and prairie skirts with peasant tops.

Then a bit later (college time) there were the Flashdance fashions - remember the sweatshirts that were chopped so they fell off the shoulders? I used to really go to town on mine. I actually had someone once ask where I bought one I was wearing. I was like..."Uh. Wal-Mart? Then I took scissors to it...?" It wasn't exactly rocket science to chop up a sweatshirt. And legwarmers. Everyone wore legwarmers.

AppleCori

Oh, how could I forget leg warmers!

My daughter uses them for dance sometimes. They are right under my nose, yet I forget that I had them, too.