Old-fashioned home remedies...

Copabanana

Any kind of skin irritation or burn: cut open aloe lengthwise and rub the slime on it, and let it sit. Repeat as needed.

Heartburn or gastritis: boil aloe spears in a small pot for a couple minutes and drink the tea. It is good. Repeat as needed. Very healthy.

Any systemic body distress or fatigue: put water, pineapple and raw potato in the blender and drink it down. Repeat.

Rub raw garlic on fungal infections, skin irritations.

A paste of baking soda and water on bug bites.

The only fail proof cure for hiccups? Swallow 2 teaspoons to 1 tablespoon of dry sugar.

Last edited:

Nomad

Staff member
We are huge believers in oil of oregano capsules to prevent colds and sinus infections.
Take with a little food.
We take one when around sick people (especially young children), flying in a plane and the slightest hint of a cold. Knock on wood, it has drastically reduced our colds and sinus infections.
We take Gaia brand.

I’ve mentioned before we like Greek lemon soup for colds. Chicken broth, rice and lots of lemons are the primary ingredients. Comforting and it might make colds go away a little faster.

A doctor once told me if you need to lose a pound fast, do this:
Hard boiled egg for breakfast
Light lunch...like a salad or something else low in calories...no sugar or flour
Small to medium piece of steak and sliced tomatoes for dinner
No sugar and drinks only water or black coffee with a small amount of artificial sweetener.
The dinner meal is the most important one.
Oddly, it seems to work. I usually lose close to a pound. It’s just a temporary thing like before an event.

Nomad

Staff member
Hiccups :
Weird cure that works!

Hold a pencil sideways in your mouth. Just like you are told a million times not to leaving teeth marks in the pencil with pencil across your mouth.

Even though it’s difficult, now drink a glass of water.

I’ll be darned...it works for me every time!

Lil

I remember a hiccup cure! Drink a glass of water through a wash cloth! Really, stretch a clean wash cloth over the glass tightly and drink the water thru it. I don't know why that would work, but I've tried it successfully.

Honey and sugar both have antibiotic properties used as a topical. So if you're ever out in the woods during the zombie apocalypse and you find a bee hive, get some honey and rub on your scratches and cuts. As an added benefit, you'll also taste better when the zombies eat you. :p

AnnieO

Shooting from the Hip
Hiccup cures... No one believes me at first, then they do this and are amazed. TRY to hiccup. Since it is an involuntary muscle spasm, by TRYING, you are focusing and therefore relaxing the muscle. (Which is why Nomad's pencil trick works, too; sugar or mustard, because you are concentrating on getting them down.

Honey and sugar both have antibiotic properties used as a topical. So if you're ever out in the woods during the zombie apocalypse and you find a bee hive, get some honey and rub on your scratches and cuts. As an added benefit, you'll also taste better when the zombies eat you. :p
ROFL Lil!!!

Chicken soup, if you don't like hot peppers... Low sodium chicken broth (2 15 oz cans), leftover chicken (1 cup), tarragon (1 tsp), onion (powdered - 1 tsp, minced 1/2 small onion) and garlic (powdered - 2 tsp, minced 2 heaping tbsp). Just before serving melt in one 4-oz stick real butter and 1/2 cup dry white wine. Salt and pepper to taste.

Lil

A doctor once told me if you need to lose a pound fast, do this:
Hard boiled egg for breakfast
Light lunch...like a salad or something else low in calories...no sugar or flour
Small to medium piece of steak and sliced tomatoes for dinner
No sugar and drinks only water or black coffee with a small amount of artificial sweetener.
The dinner meal is the most important one.

Just pointing out...you're going to lose weight because you're getting the WAY too few calories on that.

egg - 70
salad (lettuce, tomato, cucumber, other veg) - maybe 75 cal
dressing - (depending on type - can be anything from 40 vinaigrette to 140 ranch) lets say 100 to be generous
steak - 4 oz ribeye - about 300 cal
tomatoes again - 1 medium beefsteak = 25 cal

Grand total of 570 calories a day. That's WAY too few. My Fitness Pal won't let you eat less than 1200 a day no matter how small you are. No reputable diet plan would have you eat that little. Pretty much anyone can lose 1 lb a week on 1000 to 1200 calories.

Nomad

Staff member
It is to lose weight in one day to , for example, fit into a tight dress if you are a bride or bridesmaid for example. Not to do more than one day. For some reason, she felt the steak and tomatoes worked particularly well to drop some weight and bloat.

Lil

It is to lose weight in one day to , for example, fit into a tight dress if you are a bride or bridesmaid for example. Not to do more than one day. For some reason, she felt the steak and tomatoes worked particularly well to drop some weight and bloat.

Now that's a possibility.

Take it from a fat woman - I've lost more weight that some of you probably weigh! But it sure makes you an expert on HOW to lose...even if you suck at implementing it!

Copabanana

The hard boiled egg, steak and tomatoes diet; I remember it from the sixties! It was famous, appearing in a popular magazine, like TV guide. It was not popularized as a one day thing, more like a couple weeks. Like. Lose 10 pounds in 10 days.

That said. I hate hard boiled eggs. So it is a non-starter for me.

I looked it up. It was called the Mayo clinic diet. For two weeks.

Nomad

Staff member
As a side note:
I am looooving weight watchers.
I have lost 9.6 pounds in approximately six weeks
I’m still on 1 mg of prednisone.
I think I lost a few of those pounds just from reducing the prednisone.
I tweak the program a bit and do things I know from experience are helpful to my overall health and improve weight loss somewhat. For example, I think I react very badly to sugary foods, even small portions. So, it has to be a pretty big holiday for me to have a sugary food.
I’m still losing slowly, but I am thrilled out of my mind to be losing as I wasn’t before when doing it strictly on my own.
I need the accountability. I stay for approx 50 percent of the meetings , depending on my schedule. But I always weigh in.
It’s my birthday this week, so I’m goofing off a little. But I will be back full force next week.
I’m in it to win it.
Sorry about the commercial. I’m just thrilled to be almost off that nasty medication and to be on weight watchers again and to finally see that darn scale go down.