Old-fashioned things you've done in your day...

AppleCori

LOL, Apple!

You don't remember them?

For toddlers? Nope. Special panties for that time of the month, back in the day.

But you're right, they do look as though they're diapers for babies.

I have never heard about them nor knew that they existed.

And I certainly wouldn’t have worn them! I can’t see them looking good under pants, either.

Pink Elephant

Apple and SOT.

That's all there was back in the day for protective panties, so like most everything else, you probably would have worn them, because a lot of other women were wearing them, and I know speaking for myself, that always made the uncomfortable, more easy.

I sent the pictures to my daughters last night just to remind them as to how good they've got it. :)

AppleCori

Apple and SOT.

That's all there was back in the day for protective panties, so like most everything else, you probably would have worn them, because a lot of other women were wearing them, and I know speaking for myself, that always made the uncomfortable, more easy.

I sent the pictures to my daughters last night just to remind them as to how good they've got it. :)

What day was that, Pink? I have had disposable pads available since I have needed them.

BusynMember

That must have been before my life. We had sanitary napkins and belts (ick) but never panties.

Yuk lol. I say, thank God for Tampons!!

Pink Elephant

What day was that, Pink? I have had disposable pads available since I have needed them.
Yep, I, too, wore disposable pads that came in a large blue box. Mom always bought the blue box ones which were kept in the bathroom, but those panties were still alive and well when I was a young child, because I remember them in our house, and that was in the early to mid 60's. My mom used to refer to them as "night pants", so I'm assuming she didn't wear them all the time.

The bottom picture of the white panties with pad remind me of how I used to occasionally strip my kids rubber pants and diapers off together (as one) at change-time or before a bath. Off would come the little bundle (diapers inside rubber pants), and straight into the diaper pail, pants and diaper would go.

Pink Elephant

That must have been before my life. We had sanitary napkins and belts (ick) but never panties.

Yuk lol. I say, thank God for Tampons!!
I can assure you, SOT, that it wasn't before your time. Those panties were being used when both you and I were growing up.

I never went the route of tampons. Hated the thought of. Always pads, but with normal grannies. :)

BusynMember

I never saw the panties even in stores and cloth diapers etc. were not used where I lived in 1985. Princess was born by then and no way here. In nursery schools, you had to use disposables anyway.

Maybe your mom like you hung on to the old???tThis is just a question not an insult. Please don't take it as such. My mom(icky topic lol) wore the belt and napkin. No panties. They were kept in a cabinet in the bathroom for all to see (barf). So I knew her private habits.

I believe some people use these older things, particularly in say Amish communities. But I never even heard of them in my life(panties). Maybe that was all there was for our grandma's?? I never asked mine what she wore lol. I mean, who wants to know how grandma controlled her period? NOT ME! If she even still had a period!

But in my community these things were long gone by the time I had my son (1977)and even when I was in high school. I don't remember when Tampons came out, but the girls wore the least noticable stuff they could. Actually with gym and all, to do otherwise would have caused so much teasing! Teen girls are not nice! If we bulged down there...my! And by my junior year girls wore pants. No hiding a buldge!

I got teased for wearing a training bra when.others had boobs lol. Somebody walking down the school hall, stuffed foam rubber into my hands and said "You need stuffing!!" and his friends howled. I wore kinda stuffed bras after that! I was about 12 then, skinny and pancake flat. Kids noticed and teased.

By my last school years in my high school it was cool to wear NO bra and I didn't. Nobody teased me by then....I had some status in high school partly because I had gotten pretty and developed the ability to cleverly talk back. I was left alone.

But bumched panties would have still done me in. I was Tampons by then lol.

Last edited:

AppleCori

I can assure you, SOT, that it wasn't before your time. Those panties were being used when both you and I were growing up.

I never went the route of tampons. Hated the thought of. Always pads, but with normal grannies. :)

I use tampons only my ‘heavy’ days and at night.

Anyone ever heard of diva cups?

I’ve never seen or used one, but have known several women who do. They were the do-it-yourselfer types, mostly. Home-birthing, homeschooling, home-businessing, cloth-diapering, all-natural, back-to-nature types. All natural foods and products.

Pink Elephant

I'm certain by the 1980's, those sanitary panties were long gone, and as for cloth diapers, I think was hit and miss as far as their usage.

My mom did hang onto the old, she was so frugal, and old-fashioned, too, which (I'm sure), helped shape me into who I am today.

Our first two were born when we were still living in our old neighbourhood, and that was cloth diaper central. Tracy, a neighbour that lived next door to us was the only mother out of the bunch using disposables, all the rest of us were diapering our kids the old-fashioned way, and... hanging them out on our clotheslines. That was the early to mid 80's.

By the late 80's and even into the early 90's, old-fashioned cloth diapers were still in service in our home, and I knew of a few other mothers using them, too, at the time, but disposable diaper use was definitely on the rise. I do think more mothers (by the early 90's) were using disposables.

I don't remember when tampons came out either, but I was always a pad girl. No, I didn't enjoy the bulky feeling of old-fashioned pads, but I was comfortable in my own skin using them, so that's what I stuck with. Granny panties and pads went hand-in-hand.

I remember training bras, but don't really even remember wearing one. I blossomed overnight, and that was that. Into grown-up bras I went. :)

Pink Elephant

I use tampons only my ‘heavy’ days and at night.

Anyone ever heard of diva cups?

I’ve never seen or used one, but have known several women who do. They were the do-it-yourselfer types, mostly. Home-birthing, homeschooling, home-businessing, cloth-diapering, all-natural, back-to-nature types. All natural foods and products.
I have heard of the Diva Cup, but never tried it. It just seemed even more intrusive to me than tampons.

Pink Elephant

I don't remember when Tampons came out, but the girls wore the least noticable stuff they could. Actually with gym and all, to do otherwise would have caused so much teasing! Teen girls are not nice! If we bulged down there...my! And by my junior year girls wore pants. No hiding a buldge!
Yep, definitely, pads resulted in a bulge. Having always been restricted to wearing dress slacks, the bulge problem was even more noticeable, however, being the big girl that I am, it sort of blended in with my shape and figure.

AppleCori

I don’t remember whether we had the ‘thin’ pads back in my teenage years or not. I k ow I only wore pads, whatever kind they were.

I don’t remember anyone ever making fun of anyone for wearing a pad or looking like they wore one.

I didn’t use tampons till after I had been having s*x for a while, but I never had a problem with the pads.

Pink Elephant

I don’t remember whether we had the ‘thin’ pads back in my teenage years or not. I k ow I only wore pads, whatever kind they were.

I don’t remember anyone ever making fun of anyone for wearing a pad or looking like they wore one.

I didn’t use tampons till after I had been having s*x for a while, but I never had a problem with the pads.
I don't remember when "THINS" came out either, but I do remember that I was STILL wearing old-fashioned blue box pads well into my late twenties.

I don't ever recall anyone being chided or made fun of for wearing pads either.

Pads just worked for me. Can't say they were comfortable, but I was comfortable with wearing them and using them. I have friends and family that absolutely loathe pads.

BusynMember

I don't remember when they arrived either...haha.

i used Tampons mosty because I felt they (blush) kept the nasty smell away. I do remember once in a while smelling it on someone. Also I felt they were less of a bother. And I did worry about the buldge. I was very skinny in high school and liked to wear very tight pants so I was cautious. Tampons felt very weird to me to wear at first. I was such a prude. But I got used to them and barely felt they were (cough) in.

Pink Elephant

I don't remember when they arrived either...haha.

i used Tampons mosty because I felt they (blush) kept the nasty smell away. I do remember once in a while smelling it on someone. Also I felt they were less of a bother. And I did worry about the buldge. I was very skinny in high school and liked to wear very tight pants so I was cautious. Tampons felt very weird to me to wear at first. I was such a prude. But I got used to them and barely felt they were (cough) in.
Yep, I know the smell you're talking about.