Old-fashioned things you've done in your day...

AppleCori

Isn't it funny, Apple, how each kid is different?

I have a friend who has 4 kids (comprised of one set of twins), and at one point all 4 were in diapers. Anyhow, she trained the oldest, and low and behold, instead of her second oldest training next in line after the oldest, the twins trained first.

Twins were around age 2-1/2 when they daytime trained, while her 3-1/2 y/o was still in diapers.

Yes, true. Not sure of those kid’s genders, but I have noticed girls seem to train earlier, generally speaking. Many boys have nighttime wetting well into elementary school.

Pink Elephant

Yes, true. Not sure of those kid’s genders, but I have noticed girls seem to train earlier, generally speaking. Many boys have nighttime wetting well into elementary school.
All boys. I do find there to be a lot of truth behind boys training later than girls.

Can you imagine, Apple... four in diapers, and cloth diapers at that.

BusynMember

I gave up glass bottles though when plastic came out and my youngest two were 12 years younger than the others. They had the newest kind. All of them used baby cups pretty early.

Last edited:

Pink Elephant

I gave up glass bottles though when plastic came out and my youngest two were 12 years younger than the others. They had the newest kind. All of them used baby cups pretty early.
I had plastic, too, for when my kids got older and started toddling, but standard glass bottles remained in order in our home otherwise.

Used both 4 oz. and 8 oz. bottles depending on the babies age.

Pink Elephant

As a side-note to the thermal waffle-knit training pants, I occasionally topped a diaper off with a pair of cloth soakers (instead of regular ordinary rubber pants) when the weather was warm.

Funny how many things you tend to forget after being away from it for a time, yet how fast a certain mention of something directly or even indirectly related to helps jog ones memory again.

Copabanana

All of those. Every. Single. One

We never ever used a mop. Always on hands and knees. Clothesline every day. Grandmas. Wringer washer. Fires. Girl scouts. Rubber pants. Pins. That is all there was.

Diaper service.

Delivery of milk in bottles.

Fire alarm boxes on corners. They were red and on telephone poles. Phone booths!

I remember when mascara was not in tubes with wands. It was in tiny metal tubes. The brushes were red and separate.

I remember before Kleenex. We used hankies.

I used gloves!

And a girdle!

And roll up stockings!

Until I was in middle age women's clothing for over 45 was in half sizes, and very matronly.

I remember support hose. They were the norm after menopause.

And varicose veins. Everybody must be having procedures because I have not seen a varicose vein in decades.

My mother and grandmother wore hats. No white except for summer.

Pink Elephant

All of those. Every. Single. One

We never ever used a mop. Always on hands and knees. Clothesline every day. Grandmas. Wringer washer. Fires. Girl scouts. Rubber pants. Pins. That is all there was.

Diaper service.

Delivers milk in bottles.

Fire alarm boxes on corners. They were red and on telephone poles. Phone booths!

I remember when mascara was not in tubes with wands. It was in tiny metal tubes. The brushes were red and separate.

I remember before Kleenex. We used hankies.

I used gloves!

And a girdle!

And roll up stockings!

Until I was in middle age women's clothing for over 45 was in half sizes, and very matronly.

I remember support hose. They were the norm after menopause.

And varicose veins. Every must be having procedures because I have not seen a varicose vein in decades.

My mother and grandmother wore hats. No white except for summer.
Not hard to tell you and I are from (in and around) the same era.

OMG, yes, diaper service, I forgot about that one. I never used it but remember babysitting for a mother that did.

Yes, yes, yes, milk delivery in glass bottles! Boy, do I remember that!

The fire alarms on corners and phone booths, oh yes, I do remember, and so very well may I add!

Girdles (check)... varicose veins (double check)! It's rare that I see someone with varicose veins these days.

How in the world did I forget those things! Great memory, Copa!

Copabanana

The bottle sterilizer on top of the stove.

Making home made baby formula. I am seriously dating myself. No store bought available.

Glass thermos bottles that always broke.

Wearing white Oxford shoes to school, mandatory which were bought big in August so they would last the year. Polishing them every Sunday with white liquid polish that came out of the top with an applicator. Galoshes with snaps.

Roller skates, the old fashion ones, with four steel ball bearing wheels. And a skate key to tighten them onto shoes.

Turntable record players.

Pedal pushers.

Pink Elephant

The bottle sterilizer on top of the stove.

Making home made baby formula. I am seriously dating myself. No store bought available.

Glass thermos bottles that always broke.

Wearing white Oxford shoes to school, mandatory which were bought big in August so they would last the year. Polishing them every Sunday with white liquid polish that came out of the top with an applicator. Galoshes with snaps.

Roller skates, the old fashion ones, with four steel ball bearing wheels. And a skate key to tighten them onto shoes.

Pedal pushers.
All the above! I remember! Allow me to date myself with you! LOL!

Homemade baby formula... I still remember how to make it! Made it all the time as a babysitter.

Galoshes with snaps and buckles. Ugly looking things those were.

Also remember plastic rain bonnets. Hideous looking things!

Yes, the white polish was applied with a pom-pom like applicator! Loved the smell of it!

Diaper pins with pinch-guards.

Rubber pants with air-holes (baby siblings and cousins).

Pinked-edge cotton diapers. They used to fray and unravel...

What a walk down Memory Lane!

BusynMember

Phone booths...lol! YES!

I remember white polish too but don't think I wore white shoes. I do remember saddle shoes because they were guaranteed to get you teased, along with white socks... Yikes!! And I was uncool and teased enough at school lol.

Was I the only one who wore undershirts before I needed a bra (I didn't really need a bra until 18!) Stuffed bras? Anyone else know what this was?

Anyone else antique enough to remember when you couldn't turn right on a red light?

When Cadillacs were the most status like car? I cared so little about cars that a boy came over for a date in his parent's brand new Cadillac and I hadn't known I was supposed to go ga-ga over the car so I didn't say anything and later on he laughed and said,"To be honest, I brought this car to impress you but you are so different. You weren't impressed, were you?" I remember asking, "Why should I be impressed?" A memory spawned by these old time threads!!! I never could tell one type of car from another. No interest. I am still this way.

How old were you when the Beatles burst into popular culture and changed it? I was ten. John was my big favorite until he was killed. I remember my mother making fun of their "long hair!"

What we're popular names in your classrooms? Debbie, Sharon, Carol, Susan, Linda, Patty, Micheal, Robert, Richard often called Dick, Jim, no fancy names for boys. Not then.

Bicycles with no speeds?

Farrah Fawcett hair?

Farah Fawcett????

Twiggy anyone?????

Copa hon, you REALLY got my mind going lol! Keep it up! Fun and funny! Thanks!

Lil

I still make apple pie from scratch

Me too! I make GREAT apple pie- if I do say so myself. :D But it tastes just like my mama's and she was a great cook.

And varicose veins. Everybody must be having procedures because I have not seen a varicose vein in decades.

You clearly have not seen my legs. :(

Wearing white Oxford shoes to school,

I don't remember white oxfords, but the cheer leaders in my school wore red and white saddle shoes, so black and white (which was the norm) were popular. But not for me. I wore a woman's 10 and they didn't come big enough. :(

Bicycles with no speeds?

Farrah Fawcett hair?

All of these! And 45 records with the plastic cookies in the middle?

And recording songs off the radio onto cassette tapes by holding the recorder up to the radio!

Old Hand - How on earth do you remember milk in bottles, girdles, etc? You're MY age and those things were before my time! I remember them, but because my mom talked about them (and of course she owned a girdle) but still! They must have had things like milk delivery in towns longer than they did in the country. Of course corner phone booths were around - that's where we went to smoke in high school, lol. I remember reading about diaper services, but I never used one. Of course, my kid was born in 95. I think they still had them though.

AppleCori

Schwinn bikes with banana seats!

I remember my mom wearing a girdle and talking about milk delivery in glass bottles. Of course, she didn’t have a bathroom in her house until she was six or so.

I remember the “Farrah Fawcett” hair. I had the Farrah Fawcett hair. In the 80s. Except we Called it Texas Big Hair.

Anyone remember 8-track tapes? My daughter died laughing when I told her about how big they were. And I’m talking about my adult daughter!

Triedntrue

I remember milk in bottles but they stopped delivering when i was about 8 or 9. My best friends dad was a milkman.

My mom was the pie queen and i took over but probably not quite as good.

Copabanana

I make a great from scratch apple pie.

What about impossible pies from the seventies? Before I was seriously trying to control my weight I made pies or quick breads every night. (I have no self control with sweets. )

An impossible pie has flour and a little butter mixed with milk, eggs and sugar as it's base, in the blender. It makes its own crust. Two minute prep. You can vary the other ingredients and thereby change the type of pie. Came out from Betty Crocker in early 70's. I do coconut, custard and apple routinely.

Copabanana

Does anybody remember making frozen vegetable casseroles (green bean, broccoli) with canned cream soup and French fries onions? I made something like that with stuffing mix, but don't remember the recipe. it was good. I just remembered the secret ingredient. Mayonnaise.

Mayonnaise chocolate cake. Potato chocolate cake. Tomato soup cake. Desserts made with cool whip. (I made the best one with frozen strawberries in the can and walnuts.)

Anybody stil make jello molds,?

Canned spaghetti? Franco American.

In my area there was the most delicious ice cream bar in the world. Actually, two.

A Cho Cho. Chocolate malt in a cup with a stick.

An "it's it." Vanilla ice cream enclosed by two huge oatmeal cookies and the whole thing is dipped in chocolate. They originated at a beach amusement park.

Last edited:

Copabanana

I know this is a cliche but can't get it out of my mind. Ratted hair. I mean seriously. Like a bee hive. With a can of hair spray every day. I was a walking toxic site.