old landlord not giving me my deposit.

Jody

Now on top of everything else the old landlord is saying that there was damages in the apartment and there wasn't. he said after he gets bids to get it cleaned then he'll let me know. I paid a gentleman to clean the place and he took pictures. He said it looked like the door frames had been kicked in. Not. Never happened. This is ridiculous. I am just so ******, why do the right thing, ever, why didnt I just leave it a mess and save my money. I thought he would be honest about things. This is the exact kind of thing that makes me like dislike people so much. Some people, I am just so depressed, I cannot believe how people will do other people wrong.

Hound dog

Nana's are Beautiful
Did the gentleman who cleaned for you take pictures? If so, then don't worry about it. You can threaten landlord with small claims court which is usually enough to get them to change their minds.

Otherwise..........I cleaned, always, at least as well as when I moved in, usually better. I didn't kill myself over it though because I never counted on getting a deposit back. I also always took move in and move out photos.

((hugs))

Jody

Yes he took photos and hes on his way to show them to me now. He is my witness and is going to go to court with me. I have to wait 30 days to see what they give me first. I was out on the 1st.
ugh, make me sick.

InsaneCdn

Never rent from a landlord that doesn't do a photo-recorded pre-move-in and post-move-out sign-off.

Landlord or someone appointed walks through WITH you, and notes any and all damages etc., and then you both sign off. It covers both parties.

Jody

He would never meet me to do it. I tried calling him and calling him and he would never answer my call, Today, he only answered me becasue I used my daughters old cell phone.

Jody

Just saw the pictures that my cleaner took, and it shows no damage of any kind, and I do have pictures of the rooms, that have the doors he said were damage and they look just fine. He had 15 pictures in all and the place was spotless, absolutely spotless, besides the painting it was move in ready. So glad for good pictures, I am ready to go to court.

scent of cedar

We are going through something similar with landlord from daughter's apartment. If you haven't already done so, google your state and then, tenant rights. You may find some interesting information regarding what a landlord will do versus what he legally CAN do.

Barbara

DammitJanet

Has it been 30 days since he contacted you about this? In some states, if he doesnt let you know why he is keeping your deposit he has to pay you double or triple. I watch a lot of peoples court...lol.