Old unopened bottle of Jim Beam...

gcvmom

Here we go again!
Maybe I've asked this before, but does anyone know if an old, unopened bottle of bourbon (Jim Beam) has any value? :confused: It's still in the box it came in (although it's looking a little worn from being moved over the years) and it still has the PAPER liquor seal glued over the bottle cap. I think we got this from husband's uncle... someone dated it "1972" on the outside of the box.

And if it's not really worth anything, is it still drinkable? We'll probably give it to brother in law#2 since he's the only one who drinks bourbon or whiskey in the family.

TPaul

Idecor8
Give it to the brother in law. It is most likely just aged a bit more. As long as it has not gotten extremely hot, I think it should be fine. Does not have extra value, as it is just a glass bottle. Some of the jim bean decanters can be work something.

GoingNorth

Crazy Cat Lady
If it's in the clear bottle, you also want to make sure it hasn't been exposed to light. The "colored" liquors like bourbon and scotch, etc., will oxidize if over exposed to light. Bourbon specifically will get a sort of sour-ish taste to it if oxidized.

TPaul is right on value, basically you've got an old bottle of hooch. If it doesn't taste good anymore, you could use it in BBQ sauces and the like.

ToK (21 years married to a man with very expensive tastes in booze, LoL...I think he'd have turned his nose up at fresh Jim Beam.)

gcvmom

Here we go again!
It may still be okay since it's been in the box the whole time. Don't know about heat exposure. We'll just give it to brother in law and wish him well :)

DammitJanet

LOL....My dad still has a quart jar of "real indian" moon shine we gave him back in 1992 I think it was. He used to take a small drink of it two or three times a year, or whenever he could convince someone else to drink it with him...lol. He is so proud of that stuff!

timer lady

Queen of Hearts
Gee - if you were talking something like Bushmill's Irish Whiskey I'd have you send it to me.

Not being an expert on this stuff I'd use if for stews & the like; inject it in roasts with whole cloves of garlic.

Or give it to brother in law.

Star*

call 911........call 911
*hick* --

Schent it ta meeeeee.....und ahhhI'll tascht eet and teeahl you if isht guut enuf fooooooor a preschent. :tongue: