OMG - he was the last kid standing!

JKF

easy child/difficult child had a dance at school tonight. It was from 6:30 till 9 but for some reason I had it in my head that it ended at 9:30! I planned to leave at 9:15 to get him since the school is only literally 2 minutes away by car. I'm always a very punctual person so I figured that would give me plenty of time. As I was leaving I looked at my phone and saw 5 missed calls from the school! OMG! So I called back in a panic and the principal said are you picking up N. the dance is over!

I can't believe I did that! And the worse part is that when I pulled up he was standing there with the principal holding a huge hanging heart decoration. They let him take it home! They probably feel sorry for him bc he was the last kid standing! I was 17 minutes late picking him up!! I apologized profusely but I'm SO embarrassed. Should I email the principal on Monday and apologize again or just let it go since it was an honest mistake? husband is laughing at me but I'm kinda freaking out here!

by the way- easy child/difficult child didn't think it was a big deal at all. He's very laid back about stuff like that. I, however, am mortified! lol

Hound dog

Nana's are Beautiful
Let it go. Stuff like that happens. Like buddy says, you're certainly not the first nor the latest.

So? Did he have a good time?

DDD

OMG...what a relief! I read your post title and immediately had flashbacks to when one of my kids was the last standing because nobody chose them for the activity team. My eyes got a little blurry, my heart was beginning to break, I was on the verge of a flashback.......and THEN.......it was just that you were late for pickup. Phew/Whew! There are alot bigger traumas that come at school. You've apologized. Your child is aok. Say a prayer of thanks that there was no damage done. Hugs DDD

JKF

I'm over if today! I was definitely over reacting last night bc at the time it seemed like such a huge deal. In retrospect - it's not the end of the world. I'm never ever late for anything when it comes to that school. It was an honest mistake. At least going forward I'll make sure I get the times correct bc I don't want this to happen again. And easy child/difficult child is so relaxed when it comes to stuff like that bc HE has no concept of time. He was like really mom- it's no big deal. Anyway, he had a great time. He loves dances and social events. He came right home and passed out bc he was so tired! Yay! lol

DDD - I'm sorry!!! Lol I couldn't think of a good title last night in the midst of my panic/humiliation. I could definitely see where you would think that. And OMG- I remember those days bc I was the child who was never ever picked for teams. I was a little chubby and extremely uncoordinated as a kid and was always picked last!

DDD

JFK, my reaction is just the result of too many years of parenting NOT your fault for the title, LOL. by the way, sorry you were the "last kid" years ago. For some reason I was very aware of the impact on those kids even when I was a kid. Since I was fortunate enough to be team or group leader I always chose one of those kids midway in the process. I don't know who was more shocked "my friends" or the "chosen". I also would choose to eat lunch with a loner every now and then. Maybe, deep down, I knew I would have some lonely children in the future. Sigh. DDD

JKF

It's ok DDD! And as a kid it was definitely embarrassing and caused me a lot of anxiety but now that I'm older it doesn't bother me in the least. Probably bc I grew out of my awkward phase (for the most part lol) and am pretty outgoing. I'm still extremely clumsy though so I probably wouldn't get picked for a team even now!

And what a nice thing to do! Picking some of those kids on your teams and eating lunch with the loners. I'm sure your kindness made a HUGE impact on some of those kids!

InsaneCdn

JKF... we're such a diverse group that any title can be twisted by several of us.
MY first reaction to this thread was...
THAT big of a fight?

No fight at all. Oh... thank goodness.

TerryJ2

Oooh, JKF, I am so glad (in a perverse kind of way) that I am not the only parent to have done that!

I agree with-the others, don't call the principal. Just let it go. And forgive yourself.

Star*

call 911........call 911
OMG......Your post gave me a flashback.......(sans the heart) .........somedays it's just nice to hear you weren't the only parent (((((((echos))))))).....

I'd probably go wtih......Moms are human too......and then not say anything to HIM......but for YOURSELF......take him out one day to McD's and maybe get him something special for (NO REASON AT ALL) and call it a day.

(cause that's what I did ----and see I still remember)

JKF

You ladies make me smile!!! Each and every single one of you! I'm glad to know I'm not alone! I think - like Star suggested- I'll treat him to lunch at McD's this weekend. He's been doing really well overall lately anyway so between that and me "forgetting" him he deserves a little treat!

buddy

JKF...I have forgiven my dad NOW but....(LOL)

When I was in high school (back before cell phones and multiple lines or call waiting) I was in a dance troupe. My dad was supposed to pick me up. I waited at the studio, I tried calling and busy signal after busy signal. THREE HOURS later my dance instructor wanted to go home so she drove me all the way. I was humiliated. I got home and my dad was asleep on the couch. The phone was off the hook. I yelled, "DIDN'T you notice I wasn't home???" and he woke. I was bawling. HE said, hi, glad you are back. HE TOTALLY FORGOT ME. Never apologized either.

fifteen minutes, no biggie, and what about all those people who have stories about being left at rest stops on vacations etc. LOL???

Seriously though, this is the kind of thing I actually have to talk to myself a lot about. I worry what they think of me etc. The truth is, by the time we bring it up to them, they typically have forgotten. It really was not a big deal when it happens rarely and was so short a time. You did really well talking yourself down in one day. I am impressed!

JKF

OMG buddy! I am cracking up! I'm sorry!!! lol I actually just vividly pictured that whole scenario from hysterical screaming teenage girl to calm sleepy dad! I'm sure it wasn't funny at the time but that's definitely quite a story!!!

So yeah - 15 minutes not so bad after all!!! lol

And I agree. It's definitely more about what they think of me and what kind of parent they think I must be to "forget" my kid. I usually don't care tooooo much in general about what others think but when it comes to what kind of parent I am to my children I care a lot.

DDD

:916blusher::916blusher: Then, lol, there was the time I sent the two older kids off to school, grabbed a quick shower and the baby and headed off to work. Hmmm.....I "almost" pass the kids walking back home on the sidewalk as I'm driving to take GFGmom to the babysitter. OMG! They had a "Day Off" and I had missed the notice. Yikes! DDD