OMG! I love this!

Tiapet

Old Hand
So difficult child #1, oldest is the grammar police to the max. So annoying with it as I've posted in the past. Well just happened now so believably funny (and she took it so well and we both laughed about it too).

I forget exactly what the conversation was about, something to do with her friend online and the word respite. She said it as "res-spite" and I corrected her and said no, it's "res-spit". She repeated it again and said no, I'm pretty sure it's said my way. I said no I know it's not. She said look it up! So I did as I knew it was not.

Sure enough I was right! lol So I said "take that grammar patrol police! The sheriff has spoke!". It was all in good fun and teasing and we both just laughed because she is so on people about their grammar and correcting misspoken words daily, constantly that it drives us insane at times.

It's just good and funny that this occurred this way. And the fact of what the word actually was that it happened over made it even funnier when I thought about it because it's exactly a word......needed! LMAO

AnnieO

Shooting from the Hip
LOL this could be me... Misspoken/mispronounced/misspelled/mispunctuated words and phrases make me cringe!

Most of the time here I can overlook it. But when someone says "nucular" instead of "nuclear" I want to... Go nuclear on them!

My Mom canNOT, not not pronounce "pin" and "pen" correctly. A "pin" is something she writes with, and a "pen" is something you use to tack up hems in preparation for sewing.

But, I've mangled "macro" and "data", so I guess I'm as bad as anyone else.

Another pet peeve? It's "KEE-OSK" not "KOYSK"!!! And "voila" is like "ta-da", a "viola" is a stringed instrument!

hearts and roses

Mind Reader
I am the Grammer Police around my house!! This was very funny to read as H and I are always debating the correct pronunciation of words. difficult child is also a member of the grammer police; she's an excellent speller as well. easy child is, by far, the worst speller i know, poor girl. My pet peeve is you/you're.

Hound dog

Nana's are Beautiful
I'm not the grammar police, I have too much country dialect when I let myself relax, but mispronounced words, especially certain ones can and do grate on my nerves.

It's IDEA, not ideal folks. My step dad drove me insane with that one word alone. I finally had to learn to let it go because he couldn't change how he said it. ugh

DammitJanet

My peeves and they arent so pets at the moment except when coming out of Cory's mouth are...Tar for tire. Frigidary for refrigerator. Things like that.

susiestar

Roll With It
I grew up in a house where correct pronunciation and enunciation and correct use of grammar in every form of the language was simply a given. My mother kept copies of Strunk and White's Elements of Style in every bathroom after we got to be in 6th grade. She knew we ALL love to read there and if that was what was available then we WOULD read it. Lately her bathrooms have had Eats, Shoots and Leaves and another book by the same author. Most of the kids my dad taught had what mom called 'Cincinnati Mushmouth" meaning they spoke without ever using consonants. She swore that her children would NEVER sound like that, and boy did she mean it.

One of my uncles drove her crazy. Youse is his only pronoun, and it is NOT used the way y'all is. Y'all is actually acceptable around here, but youse just drives me nuts. Always did. I cannot even fathom why anyone would say it. That, nucular, and some other strange pronunciations drive me over the edge. My kids are careful around me because I will make them say a word 100 times with the correct enunciation if gentle reminders don't have any effect.

I am just so glad that I am not the only one!!!! NO ONE I knew growing up had a parent who even noticed if they mangled a word, much less one that made proper grammar and word use a religion.

Tiapet

Old Hand
Youse might be a throw off from a Jersey dialect, as in Youse guys. I know growing up it was used a lot. Just throwing that at there.

hearts and roses

Mind Reader
I am just so glad that I am not the only one!!!! NO ONE I knew growing up had a parent who even noticed if they mangled a word, much less one that made proper grammar and word use a religion.

Me thinks we shareth thou mother...☺

This is one of those things I'm grateful I inherited from my mom, even if it does drive my H and daughters crazy at times!

InsaneCdn

Frigidary for refrigerator
Ahhh... but SOME make sense, like this one. Because, a common make of refrigerator is Fridgidaire.
I'm sure they would be glad to know their brand name has become common vernacular!

shellyd67

I must admit I am the CIA or FBI of grammar. I know I annoy people and I am trying REALLY hard not to correct anyone.

husband says pome for poem and coarse for chorus. He also leaves the g off of most words ending in ing.

Weddin, somethin, puddin, gosh I love this man !

I am glad you had that Ah Ha moment with difficult child and she took it like a champ !!
We get a big kick out of it for the most part. husband's brother says brefast instead of breakfast and it does make me nuts :eek:)