OMG!!!!NEURO evaluation AFTER ALL THESE YEARS!!!!!!!!! :p Making appointment in am!!!!

C

Confused

:hi5: I went with all my printouts on ODD AND ADHD tests,( oops had my personal notes on something but he kept them hahaha) written info on Thyroid Levels, Behavior Therapy,Sleep Disorders, Teachers note, video tape/Picture, Neuro doctors in our town and what Insc they accepted.. ADHD Diet, Techniques and backup of my daughter and dad again! Plus the best for last I told him this support forum Im on and how they kept telling me Dont give up, go keep going!!!!!! Guess what -as title says I got the referral!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I started crying I was in shock and soooooo happy!!!! I told him he doesnt understand how thankful I am that my son / us is getting help!!!!! He is just another Dr that works with their main one but he said" Yes I see he has- " ADHD, ODD, AND POSSIBLE Obsessive Compulsive Disorder (OCD) because of the new germ issue and the Neuro evaluation will confirm/deny or find any other problems if any!! I wanted to kiss him!!!

I asked about alternative medications like herbs and stuff ( fish oil etc) and he said "sure, if you can but most patients do use reg medications and they are ok health wise. But , I dont recommend medications off the bat, try everything else first if possible once officially diagnosed"

:choir:Than all of you sooo much- words are just not enough!!!!

C

Confused

MidwestMom, Hmm here is what is description reads from his site " Pediatrician, Neurologist (brain, nervous system) 20 years of experience MD " hmmmm, now Im worried! It was listed under Pediatric Neurolgy and my soNs pediatrician said he can do the Neurosyc evaluation ? And Im not liking the Google reviews now :( Well, its still a start right?

BusynMember

A neurologist is very different from a neuropsychologist and I've had my son see both. There was really no behavioral testing by the neurologist. He did a c-t scan to make sure there was no tumors and he tested him for epilepsy. The neuropsychologist did ten hours of intensive testing in all areas. Now everyone has a different experience, but the neuropsychologist pretty much nailed my son and things improved a lot after we knew what was actually wrong with him. The school was much more cooperative too once he had the Autism Spectrum Disorders (ASD) diagnosis. Before that, the school was "iffy" on helping and everything was a battle and it frankly was exhausting!.
His neurologist did not find any epilepsy and there was no tumor. That was the extent of how he tested. MD's don't usually get involved in behavioral testing. I'd call the office to ask exactly what type of testing he is going to have. Doesn't seem like your pediatrician really wants him to be tested for things such as ADHD/autistic spectrum/mood disorders/learning disabilities, etc.

jal

I took my son to a neurologist when he was 4. It was a quick evaluation. About an hour. She did diagnosis him as adhd. But we knew that. Our school is paying for a neuropsychologist (Dr of our choosing) happening this month and it is 10 hours of testing. Split over 2 days. And not back to back. Definately do check. Neuro and neuropsychologist are different.

TerryJ2

Yaaay! I say stick with-the testing no matter what. Any piece of paper and any piece of info will help put together the puzzle that is your difficult child.
It does sound like he's a neurologist, but that's okay; bring along everything you brought today and be an advocate. And as MWM suggested, call ahead and ask exactly what to expect.

InsaneCdn

Pediatrician, Neurologist
If he's really BOTH, a pediatrician CAN do a good evaluation at this age. Not necessarily a complete diagnosis, some things need to play out a bit, but we had some good interventions based on pediatrician evaluations.

C

Confused

Thank you all, well I am dispointed but still happy that we are on the way! So I will still keep pushing because I swear my son as a sleep issue, but if he truly has ADHD, ODD , Obsessive Compulsive Disorder (OCD), maybe thats whats causing it? I don't know, been thinking hard on everything again. Im scared of medications, really scared. But my son said hes willing to take it because he scared to fail his work ( as long as the pill is small he said) :( I sat him down and explained he could loose his appetite for example. He said " so the do they know why I keep saying about germs and cant do work, does it have a name?" I told him yes, he said he heard us say he names but wasn't sure. " We are going to another Dr to make sure and they can see how they can help. Poor baby I was about to cry. I am willing to try everything else first, I can deal with his wild ways, but yes hes failing and the violence yikes!!!

This morning had to finish socks, shoe and jacket again IN the car and its raining out uggh. But its the only way he went I say why bother arguing, I mean it be different if he didnt have pants or shirt on! No I wouldnt let him go like that. I know Im trying to just learn to "pick my battles" as they say and just let other things go. We will find our way right? Oh one of the teachers working with him ( 3rd grade) came to the car to see if my kids wanted under her umbrella and I quickly told her what the pediatrician said and she smiles shaking her head yes in agreement and I told her now he can start getting help and she said yes and smiled :) We have known her for years so it helps!

InsaneCdn

If you end up using ADHD stimulant medications... there's a couple of critical elements for the appetite thing:
1) breakfast needs to be a FULL MEAL... not just a bowl of cereal. Protein, fruit/veggies, complex carbs... and don't worry about the calories, because he won't be that hungry for the rest of the day-time hours.
2) if he is not hungry at supper, then start planning a supper-like bedtime snack into his day.
3) for the middle of the day (or supper), use health "snack" type foods that are HIGH in calories as well high in fiber and fat and include protein. Trail mix, dried fruit, nuts, any of the "high food value and high calorie" type stuff that he will eat... unlimited.