OMG! Rowdy Attacked By Pittbull!!!!!!

Hound dog

Nana's are Beautiful
Betsy's been going bonkers all morning but I couldn't figure out why. Turns out we have a beautiful white pittbull running loose, male. And he just went into the back yard and attacked Rowdy!!! Molly and Betsy are having a royal fit in the house and I look out back and Rowdy and this pitt are going at it big time!!! :surprise:

I called 911. Didn't give a damn whether or not they thought it was an emergency, I did! I was shaking so bad I could hardly speak. Visions of Rowdy being ripped to pieces because he's on a tie out and can't run away just kept flashing thru my head.

Dispatcher said Oh, Dog wardon isn't on duty yet, we'll be sure to let him know when he comes on. ***??? What about small children in the neighborhood?? I have grandkids here to dumb @ss! :angry-very:

Rowdy chased the dog off. (don't know how) His nose has some lacerations but that's it. Thank God. Had sister in law come over to help me get him into the kennel. I wasn't going into the yard alone with a vicious dog on the loose and sister in law brought his gun. Big problem is that if Rowdy senses a threat he can and has jumped his kennel to get at it. So I have to keep an eye on him and I have school at 12:30.

I spotted Willie and brought him in. I'd rather deal with a cat not using a litter box than a dead cat.

Nichole is out and about and I don't think she has her cell on. I don't want her coming home unaware.

And now I've got to wait on this frimping dog warden who never picks up his stinking phone. :mad: Meantime my girls can't even go out to potty.

sister in law said to call his cell if I spot the dog again. He will shoot it if he has to. (I'd rather he didn't)

And Betsy just barfed on the carpet. This is sooooooo not a good day.:faint:

Hound dog

Nana's are Beautiful
Still no word from dog warden. :mad:

Rowdy evidently chased the dog off. I haven't seen it again. I did get Nichole on the cell and warned her. boyfriend won't be bringing Aubrey home for awhile. Nichole thinks it belongs to the people down the alley. I dunno. I know they have a brown one. But she says they also have a white one they keep in a cage. If so, I've never seen it.

I'm worried about the kids in the neighborhood. We have alot now. Evidently this isn't a concern of our police dept. grrrrrrr

I know it's not just the breed. If the dog belongs to the people down the alley, the brown one is as sweet as can be. Loves Nichole. Pitt bull or not, a dog running around attacking other dogs needs to be picked up asap. :angry-very:

Hound dog

Nana's are Beautiful
Oh, this is ridiculous. The pitbull attacked Rowdy at 10am. It's now almost 5pm and I haven't seen nor heard from the darn dog warden yet.

And I think I know where the dog lives. Actually pretty sure of it. It's the dog from down the alley that the kids in the neighborhood used to torment. grrrrrrr I checked Rowdy over well. He's ok. Fixed up his nose for him. But he's staying in his kennel until sister in law gets that back gate fixed.

Now I know who opened the gate and who Molly was chasing yesterday.:mad:

I'd talk to the people but they're not really the type. Know what I mean?? I was relieved to see a for sale sign in their yard.

totoro

Mom? What's a difficult child?
That is scary and just plain crazy of the police!
I hope you get some thing figured out. When husband was at work in Gary, IN a pack of wild dogs were attacking a deer in front of his office! No-one would come out to help!!! THey told him to shoot it!!! He said I don't have a gun here at work! They said well you should...

F

flutterbee

OMG! Poor Rowdy. :crying: I *hate* irresponsible dog owners.

I'd ring that dog warden until you just flat out wear him down. It's not safe for you pets, your grandchildren, or any other child in your neighborhood. In fact, I'd call the police back (non-emergency number) and explain that you still haven't heard from the dog warden and you don't know if this dog has been secured. :grrr:

DammitJanet

Its so different how different places handle animal control. Jamie has to be on call just for such occasions. I dont care if it was 3am and the cops called him to say you had called, he would have to get out of bed to go take care of things if he was the one on call.

Now here where I live? Same as you. We have to take care of things ourselves which is why we have ended up shooting dogs that have attacked things in our yard. Out in the country people dump dogs and they go wild and attack.

Hound dog

Nana's are Beautiful
Nope. Cops haven't moved a muscle. They're adament that it falls on the dog warden. And he never showed up. Nor will he pick up the phone.

Not surprising when I've managed to get the guy on the phone once in oh, about 8 yrs, and I think that was a fluke. sigh

I'll have to get pics of him tomorrow. The light was pretty much gone tonight by the time I found the digital camera. If I see the dog loose I'm calling again, and I'll call the reg number and have a hissy fit. And I'll tell them that I have a sister in law ready to shoot to kill if necessary.

Janet, we're awfully rural. Which is why I think they're so lax about it. I mean, they sort of figure you'll take out your gun and handle it yourself. Bad part is, Nichole is certain this is the sweet pit from down the alley. The one the neighbor kids have been taunting. If it is the same dog, and he certainly was a sweety when he came around before, I'd hate for sister in law to have to shoot him simply because his owners can't keep him confined.

mrscatinthehat

Seussical
Hope Rowdy is feeling ok. It is scary when a dog comes into your yard and harrasses the animals you are taking care of properly. Arghhh.

beth

amazeofgrace

A maze of Grace - that about sums it up
oh my gosh, my friend is still trmatized from watching her bochon get attacked by a pitt at the dog park, I am so sorry hoping your pup is ok!

Star*

call 911........call 911
Daisy,

I'm so sorry for Rowdy. I would however NOT shoot that dog. I get "rurlal" justice and all but unless you want to end up in jail for discharging a weapon OR shooting someones dog that you can NOT prove with video is vicious - you will go to jail for shooting a dog.

And I get that he should be caught and euthanized....

So I think I'd be taking my camera down to the neighbors, taking pictures of that dog, and then taking pictures of my Rowdy's nose to the cops.

Just FYI - you had BETTER have witnesses...and DO NOT EVEN MENTION you will shoot that dog because from now until they move if you do? ANYTHING that happens TO that dog will make you SUSPECT #1.

Please just document with pictures....and carry some Pepper spray -

The dog is vicious maybe just to dogs, but no sense in taking a chance -and sadly with police departments that are lax like yours AND neighbors who should NOT own a dog? UGH...

Also call your local humane society - tell them your dog was attacked and ask them what can be done? Sometimes someone there may have more weight.....with local lax cops.

Hound dog

Nana's are Beautiful
Star I like the pepper spray solution. I don't like the idea of having to shoot an animal. And only would do so without a choice.

Neighbors dog is in hiding or else Rowdy hurt him worse than he was hurt. Nichole spotted him in their yard on her way to school, and we haven't seen him since.

It might be he's only aggressive to other dogs. I know he used to be sweet when he'd get loose before, so I don't know if the kids tormenting him has turned him or not.

Unfortunately our local humane society is a bigger joke than the dog warden.

I'm more worried about the dog across the alley, he's kept on a tie out with no protection whatsoever, and what he might do to a child. This has been an ongoing concern as I've notified the human society repeatedly about the neighborhood kids throwing rocks at him and poking sticks at him. (if I knew where they lived I'd have involved police) Never anything done, but perhaps that's why the owners are trying to sell the house.

Betsy and Molly are no longer allowed out alone. Rowdy is secured in the back yard, kenneled at night and with the gate strapped shut in the yard during the day. Grandkids won't be playing outside except in the backyard with the gate shut and secured.

Just a sad thing all around. If this dog turned vicious, it wasn't his fault but his owners who didn't protect him from mean kids and properly have him confined. Sad for Rowdy cuz he was just minding his own business in his own back yard and wham, gets attacked out of the blue.

susiestar

Roll With It
OMG!!! So sorry Rowdy was attacked. Good Rowdy, for protecting all of you. Rowdy is a doggie hero!! I am sorry if this dog is mean because he was tormented. That stinks. But the dog still needs to be euthanized if the owners can't control him.

At least you have a dog warden. We don't even have that where I live. I can shoot any animal that is not livestock that is on my property. That is about it as far as choices where I live.

And we don't even have a gun on the property.

It is kinda funny when the religious nuts' cows get out because they can't figure out how to shut the gate. Makes me LOL!! But they are not mean, they eat some grass and then they are collected and taken home (across the street, not a big deal).

But I hope that your neighborhood is safe from this dog, and the dog safe fromt he mean kids.

Susie

TerryJ2

So sorry.

It's great that Rowdy chased the dog away. What kind of a dog is Rowdy?

If the pit bull is penned up and tormented by neighborhood kids, it's an accident waiting to happen. A very, very bad combination. My border collie mix was abused and it took yrs of training to get her to the point where we trusted her. We had no idea she was abused at first ... we learned it from her behavior.

I love Star's idea of photographing the dog, and photographing your dog's injuries. Documentation is always great.
I disagree with-shooting the dog unless it is attacking a human. A garden hose works just as well, although pit bulls are known for being persistant, so what the hose might do is just surprise both dogs long enough for one to run away, which is your goal.

Also, I agree that it may be only aggressive toward other dogs. I would pay a "Friendly" visit to the neighbors and explain the situation, and ask them to take the dog out on a leash in front of you to watch its behavior. If they refuse, that will tell you something right there. If they do it and it pulls on the leash and lunges for you or anyone else, you also have an answer. I think it's better to be upfront than to wait for a terrible accident.

It's also a possibility that they do not know that neighbor kids taunt the dog while it's in a cage. it would behoove the owners to kennel it in the house or just keep it in the house where it can interact with-the family.

Hound dog

Nana's are Beautiful
Terry, Rowdy is a white lab. And he's not so young anymore at 9 yrs old. Plus he was on a tie out at the time. Frankly, I was shocked he came out of it ok. But then again, Rowdy has had to defend himself before.

Owners say the dog is a sweetie. Don't want to listen that neighbor kids have been tormenting him. Apologized for him getting off his chain. Kept playing it down, and I was reluctant to push too hard because of the type of people they are. I know the dog used to be a sweetie. But the fact remains that he came into my yard twice looking for trouble. Molly chased him off the day before he attacked Rowdy. Second time Rowdy chased him off. My females are fixed. The neighbor on the other side of me has 2 dogs and they're fixed. I don't know of any females in the neighborhood that aren't. No reason for him to come into our yard.

I'd try the hose except it won't reach to the back yard. Can someone tell me where I find pepper spray? I haven't a clue where to find it.