OMG -- She had an "awakening"

meowbunny

I think I liked no phone call better than this one:

She: Hi, Mom. I need to talk to you. I have a problem.

Me thinking of the possible things that could have gone wrong so soon: Oh?

S: Yes, I think I've had an awakening.

M: Oh?

S: I found God.

M: Was He missing? I thought He was always a part of our lives.

S: Yes, but I guess I really didn't accept him. Anyway, I wanted to apologize to you for the way I've treated you. I understand that you are the person who has loved me unconditionally, been there for me no matter what and I've treated you badly.

M: I'm glad you realize that and we will have to talk about it more when I see you.

S: Yeah, I will call you more often. I know I said I would invite you over for dinner .... I'll try to make arrangements to get the rest of my stuff soon.

M: It's okay sweetheart. I'm glad you understand that the way you've been treating me has not been right but I'm not sure I like why you came to this conclusion, but we'll talk about it when we see each other.

S: Okay. I love you. I have to get ready for work. See you later.

I know her roommate is pretty religious but doesn't seem to be affiliated with any church. He does go around singing at various functions. I think he's part of a religious band. This scares me far more than some of her past ways of trying to fit in. I'm truly afraid this is some type of cult. I guess I'll find out more as time goes on.

I know it sounds strange, but I preferred the silence. It I could understand. This has me worried.

Ah, the joys of motherhood.

Hound dog

Nana's are Beautiful
Deep breaths Mom. I understand your concerns. But it is possible. And it's just as possible that it isn't a cult. Although it is probably being influenced by the roommate,

And it should make you feel better that those who "find God" this way are excited and all at first, but tend to mellow out in short order.

It could be worse. She could've called and said "hey Mom I found nudism." lol

Nice of her to apologize to you. I wonder when you'll get that dinner invitation.

Hugs

WhymeMom?

No real answers to life..
How soon before she goes back to sleep after this "awakening"? Ah, just take the apology and run......

meowbunny

Honestly, I could have handled nudism better. Religion has always been an important part of my life, my love of God is deep and abiding and I've tried to instill that in love in her. To have her say she has "found" what was always there is wrong to me.

That she realizes, even if just for a short time, that she has not been fair to me is good. I just don't like the reason behind it.

Even if this isn't a cult, I buy into her new-found faith about as much as I bought into her joining a carny -- it is what her friend is into and, thus, what she is into at this time. However, if it is a form of a cult, it scares me to no end. I really need to talk to her roomie and see what I can find out. Hope that dinner invite is soon.

everywoman

I wouldn't worry too much MB. If form follows function in the life of a difficult child, she will "lose" God again shortly and be back to her surly, noncommunicative ways. But...miracles do happen. I've see a few. So, I discount nothing. It's kind of funny because mine sent me a text tonight with the word testimony in it! I wonder if he plans to take his story on the road. Apparently all he has been through has made him what he is today. And that would be an unemployed 20 year old college dropout.

susiestar

Roll With It
I understand your concern and fears. At least she sees her behavior toward you was not right.

I will hope and pray that this is not a cult. I know one of the churches here is very cult-like. I went with a friend as a young teen. I found it funny, but the reaction of the other kids was kind of scary.

Hugs,

Susie

ps. Remember that most of our difficult children don't stick with anything for a very long time, so this too may pass.

meowbunny

My daughter will do almost anything to be accepted. As long as these kids accept her, she'll stick with them. It truly scares me to no end. If I'm right and it is cult-like, what they could do to her mind is beyond thinking.

She's a very fragile young woman underneath her veneer of strength. As strange as it sounds, I'd rather get her off drugs than try to get her out of a cult. I'd have a better chance with the drugs.

Hound dog

Nana's are Beautiful
MB

Would it make you feel better if you went to the dollar store and picked up a few little but handy things for difficult child's new place as a housewarming type thing? It would give you an excuse to "drop by" and meet the roommate and feel her out. (especially if that dinner invite doesn't come soon)

I do understand the cult worry. The one thing working in her favor if it is, is that she is a difficult child. Cults tend to be quite strict in order to control. Odds are that she would grow tired of it quickly.

Hopefully it is just difficult child wanting to "fit in" with the new roommate. I'm keeping body parts crossed this is what it is.

Hugs