OMG - The paperwork! VENT

flutterby

Fly away!
I filed for disability at the end of August. I had my appointment with SSA in person to complete the application process.

I just got a HUGE packet of papers that I need to complete that are the EXACT same questions I completed at the SSA interview.

This is ridiculous. No wonder the bleeping process is so slow. Makes you wonder if it's deliberate. And I'm not a conspiracy theorist. But, I kid you not, they are the *exact* same questions.

And I have 15 days to do it. Doesn't seem like long - if you're WELL. This is going to take hours and hours to do. If I could do things for hours and hours I would be WORKING!

Ok. Vent over.

AnnieO

Shooting from the Hip
It is redundant. I think it's to weed out those people who aren't really serious.

Sigh... husband has gone through this, we're still working on it...

Hound dog

Nana's are Beautiful
Step is right. It's to weed out those who aren't serious. Hmmmm, but I don't recall having to do paperwork twice for Travis, but then maybe the process is a bit different with a child?? Although at the time husband made too much money......which I'd already told them it wasn't the money I was after, but the services it would enable him to get. ugh!!!

trinityroyal

Yup. That's the way it works up here as well, except you have to fill out the paperwork first, and then go in to meet with the disability support counsellor to have an interview and answer the exact. same. questions.

I think there's more to it than simply weeding out those who aren't serious about applying. I think they make the application process so difficult that many people don't qualify who should do. That way, the government can boast about providing services without actually...well...providing services.

I'm no conspiracy theorist either, but I have done a LOT of work consulting to various government ministries in my province INCLUDING the one that provides disability support, so I've seen this first hand from the inside.

When we helped difficult child apply for disability benefits, the paperwork was so complex that if difficult child had to do it alone he never would have gotten through the first page.

Ugh, indeed!

Trinity

KTMom91

I wonder if they compare answers from the interview and the paperwork? To see if you're consistent? Trouble is, I can't remember what I did yesterday, let alone several weeks ago, so I know my answers wouldn't be exactly the same.

flutterby

Fly away!
Get this: I have 15 calendar days from the date of the letter. The letter is dated September 24. It was mailed from Columbus and I live in the Columbus area. That means I have 7 days to complete this mound of paperwork.

Tell me, how did it take 8 days to get to me???

susiestar

Roll With It
This is why I have to start ALL over again. I ended up in the hospital in the middle of the last round of paperwork. I just couldn't comprehend any of it.

I think it is what they want.

Remember that Grisham novel/movie about the insurance co who denied everything until it was appealed at least once? I think this is like that.

As for the 8 days, THAT is another way they try to weed you out. Schools do it too. Our ins co now is the same one that we had when Jess was born. We ended up paying the full hospital bill because they kept refusing to get the paperwork and then said the deadline was past. Even the head of HR at the company I worked for couldn't fix it. We are seeing more and more of it lately with insurance, bills, etc.... Several life ins cos have refused to acknowledge paperwork from me. They don't want to cover me, but to outright deny me is a violation. So they just say they don't have the paperwork.

Maybe we can be disability buddies as we work through this process?

flutterby

Fly away!
I called a local attorney that specializes in SSDI cases and they don't get involved until you've been denied. :(

I'm really overwhelmed by all this. I mean, how often do you think about how many hours a day you walk at work, sit at work, lift at work...when you work in an office.

They did tell me, however, to contact SSA and to explain the situation and she made a note (after doing the "I'm not responsible for how long your post office takes to get things out"...never have any problems with my post office. I think SSA sat on it.) that I was working on it so that I have a little more time.

The kicker? I physically cannot write that much. I'm going to have to have Ashlee fill it out for me.

Susie - life insurance for me would be unaffordable. In fact, they wouldn't even consider covering me until a year after my heart attack.

flutterby

Fly away!
After this vent, I realized that the paperwork was dated September 24, but it was postmarked September 29. So, yeah, they sat on it. Time sensitive paperwork and they sit on it for 5 days. That doesn't count mailing time.

I completed it and mailed it Friday, Priority Mail, signature required. I am not going to have them sit on it, then say they didn't get it and issue a denial because of it.

crazymama30

It hoovers big time. husband has filed twice, denied twice. They said he can work because he can use his limbs (lower limb usage causes pain) and as long as he has limited contact with the public.

May try again after his hospitalization, may not. I don't want to badger him about it as soon as he gets out.

Hope you have positve results, they are bad to deal with.

DammitJanet

Dont get tooooooo up in arms. This is normal. I hope you made a photo copy of what you sent in because I hate to tell you this will not be the last time you are asked to do this exact same thing again. Anytime you are asked to fill out anything for SS make sure you copy it. Also if someone else fills it out...make a note on the bottom of the form that you had so and so fill out the paperwork for you because you couldnt do it yourself. I started out filling mine out too but there was no way I could do it in handwriting. I did the work form on line but they ended up sending me one too to do in hand too.

Mattsmom277

That all hoovers. I get so incensed when people are made to jump through these types of hoops. I think Janet's advice to copy everything for future use is good advice.

Here in Canada, it is a ridiculous process to apply for disability benefits. They pretty much deny everyone and wait to see who fights it. An initial denial has been known to take more than a year. The paperwork isn't insane or anything, it's their "process" that is a joke. Even worse, it is regular people without ANY medical training (NO DOCTORS) who read the medical documentation and decide if they think you are disabled or not. Meanwhile, the doctor MUST check off a box which states wether you can or cannot medically work, and if it should last more than one year, more than two years, lifelong, etc. But then some non medical person without training denies regardless. Why do docs get paid to do the appointments and the paperwork then? They obviously don't know anything anyhow ;)

It took me nearly 2 years to get approved for mine. Yikes. Yes, they give you retroactive payments. But 2 years with no source of income? Most people cave and go back to work regardless of wether their health can handle it.

(((hugs))) I hope things go far smoother for you from here on out.

DammitJanet

Mattsmom it is quite similar here. I quit my job in april of 01. I had every intention of just taking a break and seeing if that gave me time to get better. My docs told me I was nuts but I thought I could do it. 2 years later I decided I simply couldnt find any job that I could do. I looked..but there was nothing out there that I could do that would hire me. So I applied for disability. I was devistated when the denial letter came and told me I could work...and in there absolutely absurd wording..You handle stress extremely well! LOL. Ok...if I handle stress well, maybe I should work for the post office! OMG...I thought then I was done for. My psychiatrist had given them paperwork telling them how I had panic attacks in crowds and how I punch holes in my walls when angry or stressed. That is handling stress well? HUH? Ok. So I gave up that application and tried to find a job. I was so upset I thought I couldnt get disability. I took another year and a half off until my therapist forced the issue. I applied again, got denied again and got a lawyer. This time we won. It took me two years. I applied in may 2005, won in may 2007. Got retroactive pay back to 2003 because one of their doctors said I should have been approved back then! Their doctor! Not mine. The judge was livid.