OMG - the political calls have started...

Shari

IsItFridayYet?
7 messages. 2 from difficult children friend. 2 collectors for DEX. and THREE politicians.... Ugh.

nvts

NON - PARTY OBSERVATION HERE! But personally, I think these people shouldn't be able to collect their salaries when they're on the campaign trail.

Ok, I can understand for a few months ahead of time, but this has been going on for well over a year! I wish I could take a year off with full pay to travel the country and the world to smear someone and still collect my annual salary!

Beth

KTMom91

I answer the phone in Spanish. Miss KT answers in German. Doesn't matter what we say, but they go away rather quickly.

Mary, I do much the same.

I answer in English. When they start talking, I tell them "No habla Ingles". Now I've been caught once, when the gal was biligual, and she started talking in Spanish.

At which time, I said "Sprechen zie Deutsch?"

Star*

call 911........call 911
THERE IS A WEB SITE - FOR A FEE OF $1.25 THAT IS CALLED STOP POLITICAL CALLS -

I thought it was like Do not Call registry - I was wrong -

But google NO POLITICAL CALLS......interesting site.

susiestar

Roll With It
Even cheaper - give a small child (or one who believes that EVERYONE wants to know all of his stream of consciousness ramblings) the phone immediately.

a friend of ours knows well and good that the phone solicitors cannot hang up before the party they are calling hangs up (no place I have ever worked a phone job allowed this, apparently most still don't). So from the time he had a 2yo - that child got the phone when the solicitors/politicians/whomevers call! As itis clear it is a small child they are talking to, they can't bill you and they can't hang up!! SO your child is occupied AND you get put on the "don't call" list!!

Just another fun way to play with the phone solicitors who call with-o you asking them too!

Star*

call 911........call 911
I'm guilty of behaving like a child to GET them to go - I have no small kids to hand the phone to -

I become.....RAIN MAN.......and that usually gets them to hang up.

DammitJanet

Ok...so totally off the subject of the political calls but on topic of unsolicited calls.

I keep getting two types of calls that I deal with in different ways. One is the "Oh Ms X...we are so excited to tell you that you have won a trip to XXX!" I can get that one off the line pretty quick because I know whats coming is that they want me to buy something, so I tell them well thats nice but I am disabled and bedbound! No way I can go on a trip to Bermuda...lol.

Now the other call is somewhat perplexing and I really wonder how many people fall for it. I get this call saying I now meet the "guidelines for reducing my credit card debt" and to talk to a representative stay on the line and press 1. Ok...might be interesting IF I ACTUALLY HAD A CREDIT CARD!!!

So I stay on the line and I press 1 and when the person answers and starts to talk...I interrupt and ask them to tell me who they were calling when they start to ask me for my name and info. They always hang up on me. This has happened three times now. If I try to call back I get no answer or a busy signal.

Fishy. I think its some place fishing for peoples identity.

N

Nomad

These are fun responses...
I don't have small child...that wont work.
Love the idea of registry...I might very well call.

There are some calls that are so strange that I have thought of having a whistle near the phone and blowing into it!

I usually nicely say that I'm not interested in buying anything or answering questions. If they don't go away quickly, I turn the receiver upside down and speak into it like a microphone. I do this...so I can't hear what they have to say. Then, I repeat myself nicely that I'm not answering questions, say that I have to get going, wish them a good luck with their efforts and say goodbye. It is short and sweet.

Ironically, my son use to think it was a little rude. Now he is in college and going crazy with these types of calls and admitted that the other day he did something similar.

Lothlorien

I have caller id and when I know its a solicitation, I turn my fax on. After a few times, the computer manages to delete the number.

donna723

Do you know you can Google those phone numbers that call with their "free offers" or to let you know you "won" a contest or whatever - it will take you to a site where people leave comments on the calls they have gotten from that number, whether it's a suspected scam, etc. And some of them will actually come in on a local number, even in a town as small as mine! I have a rule that I don't ever answer the phone if I don't know who it is, or if the Caller ID says "Unknown". I let the machine pick it up, then I Google the number. If it's a listed number it will show whose name the phone is listed under.

The ones I hate are those recorded political ads! During the primary elections, the Clinton family made regular pests of themselves! I'd come home from work and find out that Hiliary had called two or three times and Bill was up to four or five!

Andy

We are conducting a survey - "Who will you be voting for in the upcoming election." "Hmmm I don't know, I usually make that decision in the voter's booth." or "I don't talk politics with people I know, why should I discuss it with you?"

"You have just won one year free subscription to ______. Can we verify your address?" "Not interested, take me off your list"

Can't pronounce my name? Of course, "No one here by that name"

My favorite for offers, "I don't pay my bills so don't need more". I am not technically lying because husband pays our bills. Gee, wonder how my kids came so good at being sly?

I had easy child answer the phone since she was 2 yrs old (she had a vocabulary of a 5 yr old). I did this to avoid talking to mother in law. easy child didn't mind talking to grandma.

I've noticed a new thing in the past month. Two or three times I've gotten calls from an AVRS (Automated Voice Recognition System) programmed to carry on a real-sounding conversation. I mean the recorded voice makes small-talk like a real person would. The system is very good, it had me fooled for a little while. When I caught on I said, "This is a computer, isn't it?" and it replied "What makes you say that? [Laughter] No, but really, I'd like to talk to you about..." "This is a computer!" "Ha ha ha! Sorry, I didn't quite catch that, but I was going to say..." So then I started saying just random stuff until the system "gave up" (it must have hit a programmed number of consecutive unrecognizable responses) and said, "Well, hey, it's been great talking to you! Thanks for your time! Bye now!"

Last time it called I called wife over to get in on the joke. She asked it if it wanted to go on a date. I guess that response was programmed in, 'cuz it immediately answered "Well, hey, it's been great talking to you! Thanks for your time! Bye now!"