OMG...the Residential Treatment Center (RTC) is teaching Kanga to drive

Tiapet

Old Hand
I can't say as this does not surprise me as all I've been seeing lately coming out of the mental health systems. They are truly broken. Ms Queen is eligible for her permit but no way in HECK will I be allowing her to even think about it anytime soon, as in a year or two or more! She can not even make the connection of what she does as being wrong or why it's wrong. For example I asked her today "why don't they let a 10 year old drive a car?", trying to metaphorically show her why she doesn't have privileges that a normal girl her age does. Her answer was simply that they are too young. Even when I try to continue pressing with why to get her to understand the deeper reasoning, she didn't grasp it at all. She came up empty. *sigh*

She has rages too and I could see her doing something dangerous, not only that but she just does not think about her actions.

I'm sorry that you have to worry like this. Sounds like you will be able to have a plan of action, especially now that you are aware of it since they keep in touch with you.

DammitJanet

Just so wrong. Who has guardianship over her or does anyone? I would think someone would have to approve this considering her conditions especially in this new age of enlightenment. Maybe this is a good time to strike while the irons are hot. Write a letter to a few members of congress, state reps, NAMI, folks who you think would be on your side about wanting to keep severely mentally ill young adults safe from themselves and others safe from them. I dont know, just thinking. A car can do as much damage as a gun.

busywend

Oh JJJ, I just thought of the perfect solution to your problem. Tell difficult child you think it is wonderful and it is a sign of her growing up and maturing and being responsible. Just what YOU always wanted for her. THAT is sure to make the desire lessened for her!