OMG, unbelievable

Ktllc

Remember: Special Education asking permission to talk to our Occupational Therapist (OT)? (without using proper forms by the way)
Well, she called Occupational Therapist (OT) yesterday to "talk about V"!!!! I have not even replied to e-mail yet.
Occupational Therapist (OT) felt weird about it and asked her if she had a release. Special Education answered "you know what, I don't...". Occupational Therapist (OT) ended the conversation right then.
Seriously??? What is wrong with this lady? What the He77 is she trying to do?
Occupational Therapist (OT) even told me that the school district would be the first one to say they can't release info without proper authorization.
Guess what: it goes both ways. We are not in the wild wild west.
GRRR.
Now, I will not give her permission to talk to any doctor or therapists without me supervising the conversation.
On to write her an e-mail and set things straight!

buddy

yup! Get it all in writing. I think when it is shady like that you have to suspect an agenda and a year ago I would not have said that, pretty sad, huh??? Tell her to put any information she wants in writing. You will be happy to have ALL of her questions answered as long as they are in writing.

susiestar

Roll With It
What an underhanded thing to do!!! did she not think the Occupational Therapist (OT) would want the release??

Please get the Occupational Therapist (OT) to put this IN WRITING and then make complaints to the school board, the state school board and look into who enforces FERPA and complain to them also!!

Then put a letter of PRAISE of the Occupational Therapist (OT) in writing and mail it to the school district - return receipt requested. Make SURE to praise this and all the good things she has done with difficult child and be specific. This would be a great thing for the Occupational Therapist (OT) to have in her employment file.

What a great Occupational Therapist (OT) to make her stop since she didn't have a release!!! She deserves cookies or another nice little thank you bonus!! Esp as she TOLD YOU. LOTS of people in her position would not have told you so as to not get the sp ed lady into trouble.

B

Bunny

What the heck was she thinking?? I'm glad to hear that the Occupational Therapist (OT) was on the ball and asked if there was release from you.

Tiapet

Old Hand
What susie said but I would also CC it to the principal and superintendent of the schools as well, certified. When violations are made like this it's good to have it on record in as many places/levels as possible.

You are definitely doing the right thing by having your guard up and following your intuition.

Ktllc

Well, I sent the e-mail this morning and received a reply shortly after. In my e-mail it was asked that questions were put in writing and I would transmit.
I also told her that I value the confidentiality of my son's medical files and that she was not to contact my son's doctors or therapists without my expressed written consent.
I played it nice acknowledging that she was only trying to obtain information to better help V (benefit of the doubt...) but proper channels were best and would protect my son's rights.
She actually apologized!
I think she got the message loud and clear. At that point I don't feel the need to go any further. Her apology is in written and that should be enough in the future if I ever need to mention it again.
As far as what she wants to know: names of tests that were used. School needs to use different ones since it has been less than a year. Otherwise results will not be useable. Makes sense: why do twice the same thing.
Was it the only thing she wanted to talk about: I will never know. Hopefully she will be more cautious from now on.
Our Occupational Therapist (OT)'s point of view: the school is not used to parents who know their rights.
I owe that knowlage to you guys: thanks!