Omg

Hound dog

Nana's are Beautiful
Ok this is the official vent over the heat thread..........cuz we all know we wanna.

I'll start by saying I lived through one hellova drought in 1986 with similar temps.........and actually, I'm a bit worried we're going to have a repeat performance, except that drought didn't cover but maybe a couple of states. That was one miserable summer in which the kids were parked in a wading pool all day because I couldn't begin to afford AC. I was living in my hometown in Illinois at the time and the massive lake in Decatur literally dried up. I mean you could walk across it and it might have come to your knees at the deepest part. Ducks died off, those that didn't followed people at the park around and literally begged for food. Water was strictly regulated. I was literally breaking the law to fill that little wading pool........but I did it only every few days, skimming it with a butterfly net to clean it each morning.

We're not under water restriction that I'm aware of......but man, is it getting dry around here. Neighbor's lawns are literally frying and turning brown. I've got more clover than good grass and mine is greener than theirs. But when it stopped raining, I also stopped mowing, to try and keep it from dying off. It has brown spots where there is more grass than clover.....but it almost looks like I water it except it's not really growing. Don't count the back yard, those weeds don't seem daunted much by either heat or sun/dry weather.

And HOT! I've decided the weather folks just keep telling us it's going to end soon.......and then they switch the forecast back to upper 90's or 100's at the last minute. I'm getting a little tired of them saying it's going to be 96 and it winds up being 102 ect without heat index. :hot: Now, they're saying Monday will be in the upper 80's. I'll believe it when I see it. Because until yesterday they were saying that was supposed to happen sunday. omg

It's so bad..........for the most part.........I can now walk in 98 degrees (no clue the heat index but it was pretty high yesterday) for 2 miles without it really bothering me much. Now, folks when you get used to that, wow! When it was 102 or 103 and the humidity was really super low.......I wanted to open the darn windows because it felt so much cooler.

It's ticking me off though because I don't feel like I'm really getting to enjoy much of the summer. It's just too darn hot to have the dogs out any length of time. (our heat index right now is 108 degrees or more) Shoot, I just had Travis go out and totally drench poor Mr Rowdy in cool water to help cool him down and keep him cool. He also has his metal wash tub full of water. I'd consider bringing him in but I have a houseful of kids, Maggie.........and yeah. Not today.

Tonight I'm supposed to walk the kids down the alley so they can go to sleep in their own beds. Uhhh, I'm rethinking that one. It's super hot out there........and we have to walk down the alley.......hot pavement. There are two toddlers and they just don't walk very fast. Plus, that means when easy child gets home at 9pm I have to walk back home........although that part doesn't bother me too much. easy child's boys are NOT used to the heat in any way shape or form. So I'll have to see how hot it is at 8pm.......if it's too hot, I'd load them into the car and take them even without carseats. Doubtful anything is going to happen in a half block alleyway. (course my car has been roasting in the sun all day so will be hotter, just faster to get there.)

So? Do you guys think the heat is ever going to break? Shoot, right now I just wish the darn humidity would go away......then I'd be much better.

tiredmommy

You know, I really don't use our above ground pool, but I'm really happy we have it this year. Especially since Duckie has asthma and can't run, play sports, ride her bike or jump around with her broken wrist. Just floating and splashing in the pool has been the only real outdoor entertainment she's had this year. She also has a nice group of friends that will gladly float and splash with her.

Nancy

Lisa,

I agree it's way too hot. I'm thankfull my kids are grown and I don't have to be out in it. Good news.....next week is suppose to be much better. Tomorrow is the last hot day for us, after that it's in the low 80's.

Nancy

AnnieO

Shooting from the Hip
You know, I was born in west TX so the heat itself is no biggie... But the humidity - OMG. It's like a WALL.

Worse is the fact that my office is about 55-60 degrees (think fleece jacket) - then it's 103 outside - so when I go out to the warehouse or when I leave, it's instant headache, and same when I return.

Normally it wouldn't be nearly so bad, but then I have all the hormonal stuff happening, too. UGH.

What bothers me the most is when people use it as an excuse to NOT do stuff - even inside. Lisa - you are my HERO, I can't imagine doing HALF of what you're doing. But the kids whining about how hot it is and then not doing even INSIDE stuff is making me just this side of homicidal.

Wiped Out

Staff member
Too hot-omg-YES! We have set so many records in the past couple of weeks. I don't even remember when our last day in the 80s was. This is our third day in a row over 100. There are many, many years that we never hit 100.

I do hate to complain too much because in my mind it is better than the really cold temps (and I kind of like not having to mow my lawn). Boot camp is interesting as well when it is in the 80s at 5:30 a.m.

Our temps are supposed to get better starting Sunday (still no rain in the forecast).

InsaneCdn

I'm a wimp. We're complaining, here, majorly. It's... all of 85F (most of us here think 80 is HOT), but... it's going UP. and UP. and UP. should be 91 by the weekend, probably 95 by Tues...

"They" said it was going to be a hot dry summer, and so far it's been warm and wet but... it might be changing. In which case... maybe I DO need to go buy a pool pass!

(don't forget, though... we get -40... so when you look at the temp spread between our coldest and our hottest... it is a BIG gap!)

KTMom91

So far this year, it hasn't been too bad, except for one day when we hit 109. It's supposed to get up to 105 in the next few days, which does not make me happy at all. We only have a swamp cooler, and once it hits 100, all it does is blow hot air, unless I want to go out and hose the cooler down.

We take the bunnies bottles of ice to help them keep cool, and they're under a canopy to keep the direct sun off.

buddy

I love the heat but even here in MN, it was 103 today. It is too much for sure. It was so bizarre, I came out to go get Q and there was wet streets and sidewalks everywhere from my home for about five blocks and nothing after. When I got to him (only a mile away) the people there said they had nothing, just a little cloud down poured on our complex, LOL. It smelled so nice. It is still really really green here. If this keeps up it wont be for long though.

Hound dog

Nana's are Beautiful
Oh, yeah..........I forgot about the headaches. Going in and out of AC gives me migraines. It's one of the reasons I really hate AC. (because I hate migraines LOL )

But I refuse to stay camped in the house. One I still have to do yard work whether I like it or not. And two I figure if things get worse either budget wise or weather wise (like say more storms that knock out power), I certainly don't want to have to adjust from like 75 degrees in AC to 103 degrees in nothing flat. So I keep going out and about and working in it. Not to mention my AC doesn't go below 80 degrees either.

My mom is getting hit this way too. But she has her black out curtains and AC so she's doing ok. Plus a different bro is living with her now, so there is someone coming and going to make sure she's ok. I'm going to pick me up some of those black out curtains by darn..........and a few or more of the windshield reflectors, if you put them facing out of your windows they reflect the sun away......a great way to help keep the house cool if you either don't have AC for whatever reason or can't run it cuz it's too expensive. Also helps with it because it doesn't work so hard.

Tomorrow is due to be utterly beastly and I'm going to do my best to not look at the heat index. I know they started doing that to help people not over do in the sun......but seriously? I'm ok not knowing what it is. If I think oh, it's only 94 (can't believe I now think of it as only 94) I can do such and such.......you see the heat index is like 110 or more and you're like oh heck no I'm not! I'm going to toss a few of my stored 2 liter bottles of water into the freezer for Rowdy to lay up against outside. He got put to "bed" tonight with food, fresh ice cold water and some pork chop bones with plenty of meat. It seems as if he's decided he's much too old to sit in the tub.....and from the way he looked today dunking his head wasn't cutting it. (which is why I had Travis wet him down well)

I've also got some yard work I need to do this weekend, and I will, heat or not. I stocked up on gatoraide at kroger on sale for dirt cheap....and I'll drink plenty of water and be inside by the time the heat of the day hits.

Shoot between all the flooding in some areas due to storms, the weird heat wave and droughts in other areas.......I think I'm going to be grateful for whatever I can get out of my garden this year.

Tiapet

Old Hand
While we've had really hot temps (101, 102, 103, 104, 105, you get the idea) at least a week or more now. It's been in the 90's for longer then that. I would much rather this then the cooler temps by far because I do not hurt nearly as much with it and I can cool off better then warm up (severe chronic anemia stinks).

But far more importantly to me and I won't complain because I sit here thinking about all of those affected by the storms that have happened and keep happening not only near me but all over in this heat and those that end up without power for any amount of time let alone for a week, like I've been seeing. Those poor people with no air, not even a fan. Their food stocks. It's far to overwhelming to comprehend for me the suffering they are going through at this moment then a bit of heat as uncomfortable as it has been at times to be in (and yes I've been out in it without air).

I'm just keeping them in my thoughts as well. They need it badly.

flutterby

Fly away!
It seems to be feast or famine. For a full year, until this spring, my ground was constantly water-logged. The sucking at your shoes kind of water logged. Now the grass is burnt and brown, and hasn't been mowed for 2 weeks and doesn't need it. We've had 2 storms that dumped a lot of rain, but with the temperature consistently in the upper 90's and low 100's, it's not enough. My city isn't on water restriction, but the rest of the county is.

DammitJanet

We arent quite that hot but its hovering near 95-100 every day before the index. Tony and Cory are wearing nothing but white shirts now to work. Anything else holds in the heat too bad. They cant eat during the day much at all. Drinking is not optional and they have to take water breaks every 2 hours. (that reminds me, I need to go to walmart and get those handkerchiefs that go around the neck that are filled with the little beads that hold cold water and swell up to keep them cool)

I dont know how anyone goes without AC. I would never own a house without it. I need to put up ceiling fans to help out and put foil in more of windows but I do have trash bags and heavy blankets in my bedroom, heavy blankets in my living room, trash bags over my kitchen window so I can move them easily to see out. Personally I would love to just spray foam my windows over but I think Tony would negate that idea because we probably need to see out at least somewhere...lol. Maybe leave one or two windows open. I cant see out any of my bedroom windows so they could go. Or maybe just put plastic up and sprayfoam that.

AnnieO

Shooting from the Hip
LOL Janet on the spray foam... If you do manage to convince Tony - and I would NOT do windows, personally, but that's me - call my husband... We will come down and visit and he will give you a discount! Oh... And given where you live... Closed cell.

muttmeister

They said yesterday was our 11th day in a row of temps above 100. I don't air condition my whole house just for me so I sit in my huge bedroom in my comfy chair and watch TV or read. I don't like TV much so yesterday I finished my 26th book since June 1. But this morning it is only 74 and our highs are only supposed to be in the low to mid 80s for a week so I think the cooler is coming your way. Anyway, as far as I'm concerned 100+ beats the he!! out of shoveling snow when the wind chill is 40 below 0 and we'll have that here in 6 months. I do have an above ground pool but I don't usually use it till evening when it gets out of the sun. Last night it felt warm; guess I need to half drain it and refill with cold water. But that would make my water bill go up so I probably won't.

Hound dog

Nana's are Beautiful
Ohhh mutt! I hope so!! After all this heat I might feel "chilly" in 74 degrees lol

It's 86 degrees at 9:25 am. That's not a good sign. Temp isn't too bad, but the humidity is so thick you feel like you're walking in some physical thing and it's making it really hard for me to breathe out there this morning. Oh, just checked.........that would be because the humidity is about 70 percent. ick ick ick

Now see I'm strange..........cold doesn't bother me too much. Snow and ice doesn't bother me too much. I can layer clothing and such that I stay warm with the heat way down. Being forced to run the AC, even as careful as we're being about it and how miserly we are...........I am sooooooooooo dreading that electric bill.

Star*

call 911........call 911
Come to COLUMBIA.......last Saturday we hit 113, and SUnday we got a nice 110.....then rain......Monday was a nice balmy 98......and the rest of the week was triple digits. I have no ac in the car - and keep it off in the house in the day....

I did turn it on the day it got 113 because it was 89 in the house........but I had the water wiggle on for the pups and no one was interested........we were outside mowing the lawn, and weeding. The clothes I hung out were dry almost before they got ON the line - some of DF's pants were dry by the time I hang them on the line and finish hanging the rest of the load? They're dry!! (Conserving money, and leaving a greener footprint!)

Our town motto? COUMBIA......FAMOUSLY HOT......and baby we aint talking pretty! ITS BLOODY HOT!!! and people here are out in it working ........