On falling oak trees & dying grandparents......

timer lady

Queen of Hearts
:angel:

We finally got the bid to remove all the damage from the storm this past Friday night. The work began yesterday & will take a good 5 days to remove this fine old tree.

I rec'd a telephone call from my father earlier this evening. My 98 y/o grandfather has suffered a stroke; he has been settled back in hospice care & is refusing a feeding tube.

Dad told me that Grandpa is seemingly at peace with this decision. He's outlived his wife by almost 30 years, 2 of his children & most of his friends. "John, it's time for me to go" is what he told my dad.

Please say a prayer for a peaceful, pain free & quiet passing for my grandpa. He's a most loved father, grandfather, great grandfather & great great grandfather - along with all the in laws & "orphans" he's taken in over the years.

I appreciate the shoulder.

Suz

(the future) MRS. GERE
You will not look back on this year fondly, Linda. :crying:

Sending warm hugs to you and comforting thoughts for Grandpa.

Suz

timer lady

Queen of Hearts
Suz,

This year is almost over (only 4 1/2 months left). I've decided when all is said & done that I will not acknowledge the year 2007.

I think it's a good plan, a healthy plan - one that will help me survive.

Thanks for the support, lady. I'll catch up with you later. :flower:

mum2JK&TH

Linda, I am sorry to hear about your grandfather, but it sounds like he is at peace and ready to move on.

(((HUGS))) You are a very strong woman.

ctmom05

Linda,

Gentle hugs my dear; who is ever really ready to say good bye? Your Grandpa meant a lot in many lives and everybody is going to miss him.

I am glad he is at peace within himself.

Lothlorien

I will say a prayer for a peaceful end to his very long and giving life.

On a side note, Linda, have you ever thought about writing a book? I think the title of the thread sounds like a good title for a book. You have a lot to write about and I'm sure it would be an inspiration for many other parents out there who are dealing with children with similar problems to yours. Perhaps it's something you could start while recovering from your illness. Perhaps writing could help you cope with so much of what you've gone through this year.

Hugs.

On_Call

Linda,

I am so sorry that your family is once again going through something painful. Sending you some additional gentle hugs.

I do not blame you for wanting to put 2007 in a box, slam on a lid and put the box in a dark corner of the attic.

I agree with Loth - your thread title would make a great book title. Writing everything down would either be too exhausting or extremely freeing - one or the other.

Will keep you and your family in my thoughts and prayers.

Hound dog

Nana's are Beautiful
I'm glad you were able to get the tree taken care of.

Saying prayers that your grandfather crosses over peacefully.

(((((hugs))))))

TerryJ2

Ohhhhhh, he sounds like a wonderful guy. So sad. But I'm glad he's at peace.

So sorry about the tree, too. I hate it when that happens. We lost 18 huge trees with-Hurricane Isabel, and numerous small trees as well. The yard won't look the same until we're your grandfather's age.

Wiped Out

Staff member
Linda,
I just saw this post. I'm saying a prayer for your grandpa and your family. What a year-praying 2008 is a much better one!

Marguerite

I agree about you writing a book, and I think the title would be apt.

Your grandfather sounds like my mother. She made a similar decision.

About 2007 - take a leaf from Queen Elizabeth II, the year Windsor Castle got damaged by fire; the year there were divorces and separations through her family; the year of scandals, of deaths, of tragedy - she described it as her "annus horribilis". I think she would have like to wipe that year off the records also.

Hang in there. Worried about you.

Marg