On strike

Babbs

So the teacher's union in the school district I work for and where my son attends went on strike today. So first day of school is delayed for who knows how long.

I support them - I understand and agree with their positions - lower case size, fewer administrative meetings in order to have more planning time for their students, and a cost of living increase to get them out of the absolute bottom paid in the state into the bottom 20% (can't get Special Education teachers in this district cause they go to neighboring districts so tons of long term subs in our Special Education classrooms!)

I'm just very afraid about how this is all going to affect difficult child - he's been soooo looking forward to getting back to his classroom routines and learning new things! difficult child just does not do well without knowing whats happeneing and when. Changing first day of school is going to throw him! Luckily he doesn't get back from camping with grandparents until tomorrow so I have a day to figure out how to break the news to him....

maril

Oh wow...good luck. I'll cross my fingers that an agreement can be reached soon and the kids can get started.

I hope your son had a great time camping!

Andy

It would be super if it is settled today but that may be too much to dream.

I hope you are able to find a way to break the news to difficult child. Kids really are ready and need to get back to school soon. Summers can get too long for so many kids.

I hope the teachers receive a good settlement. It is so hard on both sides; the districts are getting less and less money in this economy but the teachers still need to make a living just like everyone else. The district also has to show respect to their employees by offering a fair pay.