On the swan boats for now....

T

toughlovin

Phew!!! My son is back in treatment. He got himself there by bus today..... well he went too far on the bus and they had to go get him but he got there. He tested negative for everything but admitted he used spice and alcohol last night... the spice will show up on the more detailed test. I am very glad he tested negative for opiates as i was sure he was into heroin by now.

He and I had some tough conversations today. He definitely felt like he had no options and felt cornered.... it is clear he seems to think if we just go him an apartment and a job back up here all would be fine or at least that is what he implied to me. Which of course is ridiculous, it is not the place that is making you use, you were unhappy and using up here too. He does admit that he is miserable and that is why he gets high and he told them there that he needs coping skills with his moods and anxiety and that he has very low self esteem. All true. I think he really does want help with his psychiatric issues but has had no idea how to get it... and I think it has been frustrating because all the rehab places focus only on the addiction. I am convinced he will not get clean without help with the underlying psychiatric issues. This place it sounds like are used to dealing with complicated cases like him.

But he is in a blackout period so he will have no direct contact with us for 7 days. We should hear from the therapist though.... and of course they will call us if he leaves treatment. So now I am off the roller coaster at least for now and riding on the swan boat again. I plan to get a very good nights sleep tonight.

Funny my husband was comparing us to being on space mountain at disney, where it is totally in the dark and you don't know when things are going to come crashing down!!! I have never been on space mountain and am convinced I never want to in real life!!!

Thank you all for your wonderful thoughts, you all have been a huge help to me.

TL

Calamity Jane

TL,
Space Mountain is a day at the beach compared to what you and husband have been through lately.

I'm glad he's in treatment, and I'm so glad he tested negative for opiates. Get some sleep!

buddy

Even with the black out it is nice you know he is safe for a week. I hope something kicks in and he gets it that you bringing him home will not fix things. Let us know how the convo with the therapist goes, would be nice to get someone who can really get through to him. HUGS to you and husband!

Nancy

Roller coasters, space mountain, swan boats....what a life we lead huh? I never did like amusements parks much.

So glad he's back in treatment TL. Have a restful night's sleep.

Nancy

A

AmericanGirl

I hate Space Mountain. Just knew one of the bars would be too low and would cut my head off. Okay...i know i am insane.

Anyone want to ride Dumbo? That's more my speed.

Glad he is where he is. Praying you can all find some peace during this time.

Kathy813

Staff member
I don't ride roller coasters either. I don't like them in Disney World or difficult child World.

~Kathy

exhausted

TL, I am glad. Love the swan boats!!! I hope he really begins to deal with his mood issues and tries to find true peace inside. He may need to se a psychiatric to get some medications to regulate this. Can he access this service somehow? I thought most of these places had a doctor. on staff? I agree the mental health needs to be looked at along with the addictions. It is interesting however that my friend's psychiatrist told her that most psychs are unwilling to diagnose until the addiction is under control. I have never heard that or experienced that.

T

toughlovin

He will be seeing a psychiatric there...the director of the program is a psychiatrist....and most of the therapists are both liscencsed therapists and liscenced also in substance abuse counselint. My experience is most places want you to deal with addiction first....but that is hard when the psychiatric issues are fueling the drug use.

I checked in with the admissions person today and it sounds like he is doing well....glad to be there, glad to have a shower and a good nights sleep!

TL

T

toughlovin

Definitely sleeping better... it is nice to be able to go right back to sleep after waking up in the middle of the night to go to the bathroom.... and I actually slept in a bit this morning!!! Ahhhhh. I need to enjoy it while I can.

Muggsie