One year later

I've mentioned several times that last year our difficult child took off on Christmas Day, so we spent the afternoon slowly realizing that she wasn't coming home from the "meeting" and we were about to embark on the downward spiral once more (hence my user name).

This Christmas is a different story. She "hit bottom" two months after she ran, when her "boyfriend" raped her while she was having a seizure (brought on by not taking her thyroid medicine). She got herself admitted to detox, then went through 60 days of a ninety day rehab program. She was kicked out for not returning from a doctor visit for the thyroid problem on time, but that was not her fault. The county hospital kept her waiting 20 hours and she wasn't able to check in with the rehab center.

So she came home and it really seems (crossing everything and knocking on wood) that she is a different person. She has stayed off drugs, made meetings (real ones!) continually, gotten a sponsor, and not "dated" anyone (that's her euphemism) since February. She has gotten a full time job which she really likes and does well at, no tardies or absences at all. She is paying rent pretty regularly and saving money or at least keeping a positive bank balance. She is still a slob (clean, but not neat, as per the Teenaged Daughter Owner's Manual (see the Watercooler)).

I hope this will be a light at the end of the tunnel story for parents who are at a different phase. It's been a long long time getting to this point, and there is always the fear of another crash, but things are better than they've been in a long, long time.

Suz

(the future) MRS. GERE
HWGA---WOW!!! I'm giving difficult child a standing ovation...and one for you for having the courage to allow her to test herself one more time under your roof. I would not be as brave as you.

Fingers crossed that 2008 is a banner year all around. Thanks for the great update!

Suz

rejectedmom

:bravo: I too am knocking wood as I say this/ I hope all continues to improve and your daughter learns for good that "clean is cool" and a much better way to live the rest of her life. -RM

Hopeless

....Hopeful Now
That is wonderful for you and your family.

It is nice to see positive things happening and it does give me hope that there is a light at the end of the tunnel for our difficult child and family.

Star*

call 911........call 911
Dear Beacon in the Mist -

I am de'light'ed to hear your story. Yes, it gives hope. But I know that for all the happiness I feel for you this moment - I wouldn't have traded places with you for an instant.

When I get blue? I remember to take a breath and until then - will cross every fiber of my being in hopes that your success continues so long it becomes habit.

You've earned the right to feel like there is a light at the end of your tunnel!!

Congratulations for finally being able to revel in the life you all deserved to begin with.
Star

jt&at

Hi,
We are new to the board but your story helps us see there is progress and we can always have hope. Congratulations!

I had not been familiar with the details of what brought you to us, HWGA. You and your family (daughter included) have walked a long, hard road without many signposts to let you know where you stood.

I am glad she is doing so much better, now.

Barbara

DDD

Thank you for the recap and then the update. Even if I am the oldest around here, I'm sure that I am not the only one who just
can't remember exactly which difficult child has done what. Believe me, I
am totally happy that you "see the light". Hugs. DDD

trinityroyal

HWGA,
Congratulations to your difficult child and to you. It's wonderful to read a post like this, and it gives me great hope that all of our difficult children can turn themselves around when they are ready.

All the best for a happy 2008, and keep up the good work difficult child.

Trinity

susiestar

Roll With It
I am so glad that she has turned things around! I pray that she will continue on this road and have a very fulfilling and easy child life.

Remember though, "Progress, not Perfection"

Hugs to all of you!
Susie

totoro

Mom? What's a difficult child?
Dear Mister HWGA Von Poopy Pants~ sounds like you have truly earned your title and then some....
As for your Daughter, I hope she can hang on to these feelings and moments and realize her journey and triumphs.
May 2008 be a truly wonderful year for your whole family!!!