Online Classes...

witzend

So, I talked my boss into letting me do the payroll on Quickbooks. It's mid tax year, and I had to enter historical data. I'm missing something, so my numbers aren't quite right. I signed up for an online class to figure it out for myself, even though I could get an accountant to straighten it out for me (at my boss's expense).

I tell you, I am so out of it. It's been a lot harder than I thought it would be. The chapters have information, then there are assignments that you do in a sample account that may or may not be directly addressed in the chapter. Then the quiz has things that they think you should know because you're working in accounting. NO! I'm working with a computer program!

Harumph! Back to chapter 6...

Hound dog

Nana's are Beautiful
Sounds frustrating Witz. I don't like courses where they assume you know blah blah blah, when if you actually did know blah blah blah you probably wouldn't be taking the course.

And it really irks me when I can't find something I need in the chapters. Especially with an online course.

witzend

Ummm... I just figured out that you have to read both chapters (5 & 6) before you can do the chapter 5 assignment, which is actually the same assignment you get when you do the chapter 6 assignment. So, you have to know that I have failed to notice this 5 times already....

Hound dog

Nana's are Beautiful
:rofl:

Not laughing at you. I swear.

Laughing because it reminds me of my medical law and ethics class I took online. :faint:

If I had nickel for everytime I cussed or threw the book, I'd be rich.

trinityroyal

And THAT breaks a cardinal rule in the world of online course development. Each unit should stand alone. If they are going to build on knowledge from the previous chapter, then they should say so AT THE BEGINNING OF THE CHAPTER!

Sorry you had such a frustrating time of it Witz, but glad you figured it out despite the instructions...

timer lady

Queen of Hearts
witz,

I hated the online classes I had to take when I was working - they weren't designed by instructors or accountants but by computer geeks. They have a totally different mindset.

WhymeMom?

No real answers to life..
It's difficult when instructors think their classes can easily translate to "online" from a classroom. Not only are you dealing with the material, but you have to deal with computer malfunctions and coding....... the only good part is you aren't paying for gas to drive somewhere and you can do it on your own time...... You still need the discipline of getting the material read/studied and remembered..... Good luck with the education and I would be searching for Online Free tutorials if it's just for your own benefit.

hearts and roses

Mind Reader
I do payroll on QB - maybe if you have a question, I can help.

As for the online classes - blech. I tried it once and dropped it. Thankfully I did not lose any money. It was too much and too difficult to understand. On line classes do not transfer well out of the classroom, in my humble opinion.