Only 3 more months...

slsh

member since 1999
and I will be *done* with special education. Done done done done done. We did our first IFSP (precursor to IEPs in the birth-to-3 crowd) when he was a whopping 3-1/2 months old, over 21 years ago. I actually missed his last IEP last spring because he was sick. I wasn't heartbroken at missing it.

No more dealing with- staff who apparently think he magically gets dressed, fed, medicated, and splinted every morning without our knowledge. I know what splints he's wearing, the seriously forcefully inhaling wheelchair he's in, whether or not he's wearing a coat, and I am beyond sick to *death* of getting condescending little notes home from the clueless staff who still think Boo's got intelligence just this side of a potted plant and *they're* telling me what we're doing all wrong?!?!?!?:919Mad:

I can only pray that I have now written my last howler of a letter to a school employee, with the mandatory multiple cc:s to various administration people.

3 more months, 3 more months, 3 more months.

:soapbox: Whew - stepping down now.

Star*

call 911........call 911
I think we should throw a giant rock through the window of SLR's principals office with a smiley making raspberries - and Shari's name on it.

slsh

member since 1999
No rocks, Starbie. ;) On my worst days, I fervently hope that as school staff age and decline, they are greeted with the same respect, dignity, and recognition of abilities that they gave my son. For the most part though, I've been working really hard since thank you dropped out to just make peace with- the whole process, accept that I did my best and that my best fell far short of what was needed, and it's done.

The plan is for him to continue in the adult program he's been in for the last 4 years, run by UCP. I made several calls a month ago and have gotten no response in terms of possibilities for transportation (no public trans in our county) and cost of the program (which will be out of pocket - it's IL). I have a sick feeling though that the program may be on its last legs because of all the funding cuts. Taking it a day at a time - and keeping an eye on services in other states as we contemplate retirement (in another 20 years, LOL).