only me :-)

how do these things keep happening?

mine decided that she was going to write a letter to offer her services in voice overs to a specific gaming company. *NONSTOP* obsessing about how she was ready to go at a moments notice, just knows they need her services and so on....

i spent the last two weeks attempting to convince her that while it was great she wrote the letter, not only do they *not* need her services, but she will never hear back from them.

::THUD::

she got a letter from them today.

:holymoly:

i have no idea WHAT it says since she's at school, but so HELP ME, if it instructs her to fly out to california in the morning i'm going to faint. ROFL.

but seriously, are you kidding me??? that could honestly only happen in my world...one in which there will never be enough xanax to survive.

and its one more thing in the ever growing list of how wrong mom actually IS....

T

TeDo

Wow!! I have the same issue. I state the odds of the impossible happening and BAM, he beats the odds and yes..... "HA, you were wrong! I told you...... but you said it would NEVER happen...." Blah Blah Blah

Hopefully, *praying really hard hear* it says exactly what you said it would say IF she got a response at all. Pretzeling!!!

Ktllc

Wow! What ever the response is, she beat the odds just by getting a response at all. Hopefully it is one you can both live with!

InsaneCdn

I've learned to never say never. I WILL state the probabilities, try to make a bit of a cusion "in case" it doesn't come through... but never say never, because as soon as you do... <grin>

Buglover

Ha, what did it say?
One time my son (he was like 11) decided he was going to email Piers Anthony, the most prolific Science FIction writer I know of. I did an inward eyeroll and said "OK honey, but you know he probably gets a lot of email from fans".... and the next day Piers Anthony emailed him back. They sent several emails back and forth, Piers told him how his wife was sick, what he had been doing lately, how he was living in Florida now, then he pretended my son was a character in one of his books, then he sent my son a little autographed book plate. And there was I, soooo glad I kept my big fat mouth shut. Sometimes I think we have had a bunch of lame experiences so we want to warn our kids not to get excited. I really try to keep my mouth shut now, thank to Piers.

Anyway so what did it say? I'm dying to know!

buddy

uggg, I get so mad when those dumb yougart tops have sweepstakes on them...Q opens them all (thinks he can eat them later, but I dont want MINE eaten. And NO we never win so.....

Maybe one of your kids can buy me a lottery ticket???

I am pessimistic too....My guess is that it is a computer generated letter saying thanks but we do not require....

If I am wrong I will happily do the I was wrong you are right dance all over my house, and put it on youtube for your difficult child to see (NOT REALLY)

lucky for me we are not flying out to california this morning, lol.

but it WAS a personal letter, (they actually had to read hers to reply in this kind of detail--which is remarkable in itself, lol) which ended in thanking her for being such a huge fan.

she was on cloud nine and it promptly went in her "important stuff" box.

i will be eternally grateful to that company for thoroughly explaining why it cant happen at this time...i feel like writing them a letter and thanking THEM. i think we can move forward and stop talking about it, lol--she completely understood their legal position and what upper management had to say about it (surely it was a secretary that was a mom of a difficult child--i'd personally promote her to VP-she earned it!)

so she was very satisfied with their answer and i guess it taught the lesson that it is important to voice your opinion.

but ftlog, i cant keep having the impossible happen around here--i can barely anticipate the 12 variations of the possible.

InsaneCdn

Twelve variations of possible?
Ummm... I wish life were that simple.
For a Single Decision in our house... there's often 50 possibilities. And those are just the realistic ones!

DammitJanet

I one time wrote a handwritten letter to Danielle Steele after reading her biography about her son who had bipolar. I thought it was so good and I just had to let her know how it touched my heart because not only did I have a teen with bipolar but I myself had bipolar. I went into a bit of detail and told her I had gone online and downloaded some of his music and videos. She wrote about this not long after his death. Well I never in a million years expected to hear anything back from her. I figured she got a million fan letters and some staff person probably just stuck her letters in a drawer somewhere.

Imagine my surprise one day a month or two later when I received a handwritten letter from Danielle herself telling me all sorts of things about parenting her son Nick and how hard it was to lose him. She told me she hoped I had a better outcome with my son and she wished me well in my life.

I somehow lost that letter when I packed up my office when I left my job. It was one of my prized possessions.

susiestar

Roll With It
Many gaming companies actually do have people who reply to letters like these. Or a publicist type company to handle them. They answer because they know how much it means to people and it is one of very few ways to build brand loyalty other than creating one of the very top games. Gamers go with the coolest games and often do NOT stick with a particular company, but if you can build a relationship with a consumer, that will influence the consumer's purchases AND they will tell everyone who will listen all about how great your company is. So they were not just being nice to reply so thoughtfully, they were building a relationship with a consumer. She will likely remember this for years, esp since mom said they wouldn't reply, and it means that if she has a chance to buy their game or someone else's, she will pick theirs if it is feasible.

MOST authors actually reply to emails. Unless they hit the best seller list, usually they end up handling the fan mail between the splashes made by newly released books. Danielle Steel had a reputation for sending letters to parents who had been there done that after her book about her son came out. She put a lot of time into it because it helped her and it helped the parents too.

My mom has corresponded with Debbie Macomber off and on for years. I forget how it started, and for a while it was back and forth every couple fo weeks. Now they may go a few months and then one of them will send a letter and they will go back and forth for a couple of weeks. Wiz wrote to Brian Jacques several times, then we went to a book signing at a little bookstore here. He did a book tour but only went to independent bookstores, no big B&N or Borders type stores. At one point Wiz got his attention and mentioned somethng from one of the letters and Mr. Jacques remembered it enough to mention something Wiz suggested. Wiz was maybe in 5th or 6th grade and it was a HUGE thing for him, for all of us really.

Authors really love to hear how you enjoyed what they wrote, and often they respond, though it always surprised me.

I guess maybe this is why my parents never bothered to tell us someone wouldn't respond if we wrote them a letter. THey figured we would not listen anyway (and they were right) and if we did get a response then it would make life tough for them.

I am rather glad your daughter got the letter, confuzzled. Now she has reasons why she won't be doing the voice over and she felt they took her seriously. Our difficult children are often brushed off or ignored, so when someone takes them seriously it is a big deal. She clearly had something to say, and she said it and was heard. That is important. You were trying to spare her pain by telling her they would not respond, because you had every reason to think that they would ignore her letter. HOw many people in real life actually take kids, esp ones like our difficult children, seriously? So you can say you misjudged the company and they valued her input. We all make mistakes. Next time when she tries she may not get that response, but she will still try because it worked once.

Trying is important, and so is being heard. You are still going to be correct most of the time, and she is still not going to listen to you until she is in her 20s and starts to discover how smart you are. It is a brave thing to put yourself out there in writing, in my opinion.