Oops! Laundry question

klmno

I accidentally washed a new navy hoodie of difficult child's with a white pullover shirt and of course, now the shirt is tinted blue a little. Will using bleach and hot water get the blue out?

And how on earth do you fix a washing machine that is off balance? I've heard people say that you adjust wheels on the bottom but I don't know if that applies to all brands or not and it seems odd that if that's the problem, why did it only get off balance recently- after I threw my tennis shoes in the wash last weekend? I hope its not at the bottom- my machine is crammed in a closet with the dryer right beside it.

witzend

Rit Dye makes a product called "Color Remover". I washed white pillowcases with ruby red sheets and got pink pillowcases. A treatment with the color remover solved the problem.

Bleach doesn't really work, in my experience.

witzend

They probably do if they sell fabric. I'd ask at the desk if they sell Rit dye, and then go from there. I usually buy it at Michael's or the fabric store.

klmno

Thanks! I kind of like the idea of pink sheets with ruby red sheets though- just saying in case you ever do that again...

susiestar

Roll With It
Our Wally World has the color remover in the laundry section.. It works very well. I would test a small spot inside the hoody (back seam maybe?) before going ahead with bleach.

You could even use peroxide diluted 1:1 (test first, of course) - pour 1 cup of solution into the washer and soak for 10 mins, then wash.

the color remover is probably your best bet though.

Do you ever use Clorox 2 bleach, the color safe one? Or the generic version? If so, you can use 1 cup of hydrogen peroxide & water to make 1/2 gallon of liquid as a substitute - MUCH cheaper and works the same.

I hope it comes clean.

klmno

Susie, you snuck in. I don't like the color safe bleach- I can't remember why but something didn't come out right when I tried it once. So I just use the old regular one. I do have some hydrogen peroxide- I think- unless difficult child used it all before when he was cutting. It's the white shirt that came out faded. The navy hoodie is fine.