Open For Suggestions...my sister's makeup

DDD

As most of you know I am "old" but I am the "baby" of my family.
:bow: I have one surviving brother and one sister. My sister
has always had a wonderful artistic eye that has lead her to be
"the one" in the family that always looked great and wore really
great clothing combinations. She also is a dynamo who teaches
school daily (and well) although she is in her 70's. She grew up
overly aware of her shortcomings and it has taken her decades to become self-confident. (End of background info, lol.)

The last two times I have seen her, her makeup is poorly done. A
few months ago husband and I traveled to her house and I spontaneously
said to her before we left for dinner..."why don't you go recheck
your make up in your mirror before we go". She did. It looked
better when she came back. I laughingly commented, "can you believe that I am giving you makeup checks when I never have learned how to do it right?" Then I added, "I have a big old magnifying mirror that I have to use to even see my face."

Well, yesterday her makeup was wrong again. First off the color
is too dark for her skin. Secondly it is applied too heavily
around the upper face, nose bridge etc and then thin on the cheeks. The blush is also a bit splotchy but the foundation is
the big problem.

I'm assuming that her vision is not what it should be (although she doesn't wear glasses except to read), or the light is not sufficient where she does her makeup. She has felt the impact
of subtle age descrimination at her new elementary school. Maybe
the makeup is part of what sets her apart.

Any suggestions on how I might gently bring up the subject over the phone. I often don't even wear makeup so I'm no expert but
I KNOW her appearance is of major importance to her. Tactful is
an attribute I have on my list but I can't figure out to suggest
my big sister change her habit. DDD

DDD

HELP!...........somebody move this thing to Watercooler please.
I just realized I'm on the wrong forum.

What was I just saying about "old". :hammer: DDD

Suz

(the future) MRS. GERE
Sure, I'll move it, D3.

Since your sis takes so much pride in her appearance and has historically done really well in that area, maybe you can suggest that the two of you go have a "makeover."

If you know what company makes her favorite brand and they sell it at a department store you could go there...or you could suggest going some place new for a change. Use "mid winter blahs" as an excuse- that YOU need a pick-me-up and thought it would be a fun "sister day." Planning something like this would help her save face (yes, pun intended :wink: ) and you gals might have a lot of fun in the process.

Suz

Sue C

I like Suz's idea a lot. If you merely try to tell her about her makeup, especially when you don't usually wear any and when she's always been "better at it," she might become offended. I am wondering if it isn't her eyesight that's causing the poor makeup?? IF that is the case, going to a makeover will not help her once she tries to do her makeup back at home. Can you gently ask her when was the last time she had her eyes tested?

sue

busywend

Personally, I get angry when someone doesn't tell me something is wrong with my makeup. I tried some new stuff last Xmas. For about 6 months I asked my friends what they thought of this or that and when I tried something different (cheaper) I asked again.
Nobody said a thing until I bought yet another stash of makeup and one of my friends casually mentioned that it looked cakey. What the heck!?! I had been asking all this time and nobody would tell me.

Now, your sis is not asking. But, it would be more mortifying to go on for months like this than fix it pronto. I suggest you tell her that you think the lighting or mirror needs changing because you see makeup lines suddenly and you usually did not. Or maybe even ask her if she changed her brand/type/color of makeup. Just come out with it! Like a band-aid!

hearts and roses

Mind Reader
I really like Suz's idea about going as a sisterly makeover date...and the makeup I suggest the most for aging skin is Bare Ecsensuals. If you can find a Sephora in your mall or someplace, they sell it there and have makeup artists who will show you how to use it and which colors work best for your skin, etc.

What I love most about BE is that it's extremely lite feeling but gives amazing coverage. It is a mineral powder, which I know when skin is aged, they say to avoid powders. BUT, BE being a mineral quickly melds into your skin and looks fabulous, with a nice matte finish and your face looks beautiful without that heavy made up look. The sell a product called Revver Up which you apply before the makeup and it kind of fills in any lines, etc., so the makeup goes on and stays on smoother.

I use it and so does my sister, easy child and difficult child. We LOVE It. My sister is 61 and she looks maybe 49 with it on - it's not cakey. You can buy a starter kit for about $60 and it comes with two foundation colors, a blush color, a finish powder, the brushes and the Revver Up.

donna723

DDD, being a member of the "not-quite-young" group myself ...

I think the idea of a makeover is excellent, if you both do it (so she doesn't get her feelings hurt) and if it's done as "just for fun". Someone very skilled in makeup could show her what colors to use and what would work best on her. I know when I've seen professional makeovers done on older ladies, the makeup is usually subtle and understated and they DON'T end up looking like they've got a lot of makeup on, even if they do. And I'm guilty of being one who still does my makeup exactly the same as I did twenty years ago!

Does she have a "thing" about having her eyes examined and getting glasses if necessary? Very few people reach their seventies without needing some sort of vision correction. If her vision has gotten bad enough that she can't see to put on her makeup properly, it's probably affecting other areas of her life too. I've worn glasses for about twelve years now and desperately need new ones (when I can afford it). But I can really tell that, the worse my vision gets, the harder it is to put on my makeup. And eventually you get to a point where you can't put on makeup with your glasses on but you can't see well enough without them to put your makeup on! As I've grown older, I can tell too that I need a much stronger light to do any kind of close work, even reading, than I did before.

I think it would greatly help her to have a very good strong light to use, a good magnifying mirror, a little professional advice, and the right kinds of cosmetics in the correct shades for her skin tones.

meowbunny

Is her birthday coming up? Maybe it is time to give her a magnifying makeup mirror. Sure saves me from myself since I'm blind as a bat without my glasses.

witzend

I like the makeover idea. Do it as a girls day out and have lunch or something, too. Be sure to have her bring her makeup bag so that the consultant will know what it is that she is already doing, and they can discuss the pro's and con's and alternatives.

Hound dog

Nana's are Beautiful
A make over is a great idea.

Then you could buy her one of those light up magnifying mirrors for her as a gift.

I'm not even that old yet and I'm finding putting on eyeliner is a major pain. :rolleyes: And if I've gone to the trouble of makeup and someone doesn't mention it looks bad I also get ticked.

Your skin has some major changes as you get older. Could be lighting, her vision, or even the brand of makeup she's using. A makeover can help sort this out, plus then she'll know what colors to buy.

I did this for my Mom a few years ago. Her makeup had begun to look more like a mask and I knew that wasn't the look she was going for. So me and the girls sat in my well lighted kitchen and went to work. Turned out she was using foundation at least 3 shades darker than her skin tone and although her face powder wasn't too far off the color the foundation was washing it out.

Once we found all the right shades, and a brand that worked well on her skin type (Loreal was the one for her), we wrote them all down for her to keep in her wallet. That way she'd have it available when she was shopping. And we also bought her a lighted magnifying mirror. :smile:

Poor vision was Mom's trouble.

DDD

Yikes, I forgot to include the fact that we only see each other
two or three times a year. I think I'm going to go pick up the phone right now. Cross your fingers. I do have the reputation
of being a nice guy but I sure would hate to hurt her feelings.
I'll give you an update later. DDD

meowbunny

Way To Go DDD. I'm so glad your sister was open to your comments. I know I would want someone to tell me if I was doing a bad job on my makeup. It's up there with tp on your shoe or skirt in pantyhose type thing in my mind, but some are more sensitive about things like this. Glad your sister isn't one of them.

hearts and roses

Mind Reader
That is great news - glad she was thankful.

I had to tell difficult child the other night that she "leaked" through her pants. She came out after changing and gave me a HUGE hug, as her boyfriend was waiting for her so they could leave!

Glad your sister took it well.

Star*

call 911........call 911
Give her a mirror that is MAGNIFIED at LEAST 5x for applying makeup, and get her a nice lamp -

Also - let her try some bare minerals - it's awesome and good makeup. Signature A on QVC or HSN makes excellent products with a fantastic moisturizer. She may be needed to adjust her routine by making sure she has a day and night moisturizer, as well as a base moisturizer she applies before she does the makeup.

Tell her make up is REALLY (honestly) good for 1 year and if hers is older than that THEN offer to take her to a makeover.

But DO get her a magnifying mirror. I got one and I love it - and I can see where I'm going a little heavy too.

Hugs

DDD

She can buy and sell me in a New York minute, guys. I did suggest that "she" buy a magnifying mirror. I was amazed that
she was not familiar with Sephora OR Bare Minerals or Bare Essentials. Geez....this year she has been to Europe, spent a
week in Georgetown and runs down to Miami for long weekends all
the time.

I puff my face pdq with Bare Minerals, pencil my brows, go "flip
flip" with a blusher brush thingy and stick on lip gloss as I drive to my truck parts store in my Walmart jeans. She, on the other hand,
has always loved fashion, manicures (I've had one in my life and
hated it!), shoes to coordinate etc. etc.

It makes me feel old to think that somehow from Poedunk I am
a step ahead of my big sister! DDD

PS: She thinks I'm apple pie AND bubblegum. LOL