Opinions needed from those who know difficult child's hx!!!

JJJ

How many months until he is 18? With the latest incident taken into account, how many months until the estimate his need for a home/grouphome/Residential Treatment Center (RTC)?

klmno

He'll be 18 in about 18-19 mos. I'm not sure I understood the last part of your question- he wouldn't go to a Residential Treatment Center (RTC)/group home/wherever until he is released from Department of Juvenile Justice. That will happen sometime between mid-November and next Spring unless he does something to get a street charge while in Department of Juvenile Justice, then they could hold him a total of up to 3 years from date of commitment- which would put him over 18.

We had a good talk today. Amazingly enough, he said "he'd had enough thinking that being on probation or parole could ever help him", that he knows he probably can't make it without re-offending unless something major changed (yeah- like him- but he is going to need more than Department of Juvenile Justice to understand how and make it stick- I digress), and we discussed the very slight, remote possibility of Residential Treatment Center (RTC). Believe it or not, his face lit up with hope that I haven't seen in years. At least he must feel that maybe his fate isn't completely cast in stone- or be convinced that no one can help.

Then, he mentioned hearing from Department of Juvenile Justice staff that the state is starting a couple of re-entry programs due to all the recidivism (sp)- it's horrible in the state. (Wonder why.) Anyway, then this gives some credibility to what PO told me. PO is the one who told me Residential Treatment Center (RTC) might be a possiblity now because they had been given higher government funding due to the recidivism rate being so bad and if I was in fear of my safety if difficult child lived with me and had previous documentation that difficult child needed Residential Treatment Center (RTC), there might be some hope.

We'll see. I'll copy all difficult child's previous MH hx, docs from psychiatrists and Residential Treatment Center (RTC) I'd planned to send him to and advocate for it while trying very hard not to get my hopes built up.

JJJ, if your question was how long would Department of Juvenile Justice give hiim in Residential Treatment Center (RTC)- I have no idea. 6 mos is better than nothing though. Anything is better than nothing. All I told PO is that the therapy needs to be "real" therapy, getting to the real issues underlying the behavior- not just a behavior contract.That's only one of my "big" conditions. There are 2-3 others.