oral lichen planus

BusynMember

Anyone ever have it? I do. What do you do for the pain until your oral surgery appointment? I thought I was biting my cheek in my sleep, but thats not it. It is lichen planus.

I realize nobody may know about this, but its not rare and thought Isld give the questions a chance. Thanks in advance.

jetsam

its inflammatory. you can use clove oil if its painful, or ambesol...numbing it. You can also take some kind of an Atiinflamatory like motrin or advil too.

GoingNorth

Crazy Cat Lady
The only person I know who has lichen planus, has it on mucus membranes on another part of her body. She is treated with steroid creams, but it still seems to cause her intermittent discomfort and itching.

BusynMember

Thsnkd. I have it in the worst spot...I may need steroid shots to control it. it is painful sometimes. it disappears and then comes back...

GoingNorth

Crazy Cat Lady
Yes. My friend's is also intermittent. Though it doesn't interfere with eating in her case, it is still in a bad location.

Closest thing I've had to what you describe in your mouth, are linear ulcers, which I've had since I was an infant. No one knows why. "Something autoimmune", they all say. They've dropped way off in frequency and pain caused.

I've got one right now on the inside of my right cheek. So far it's just annoying.

I hope the surgery goes well and you find permanent relief. Anything in the mouth is very annoying, and for some reason, mouth pain gets intolerable very quickly.

BusynMember

Thanks GN
There is no surgery but oral surgeons do the treatent like the shots.
You have incredible knowledge about soany things!

GoingNorth

Crazy Cat Lady
Only reason I know about lichen planus is because a friend has it. I know about linear ulcers because I have 'em. The other stuff? Insatiable curiousity.,

susiestar

Roll With It
Clove oil can be very helpful. I buy it at the craft store in the cake decorating dept. Usually sold under the brand LorAnn, it is a LOT cheaper than buying it at the drug store. Easier to find also.

But I recommend kanka more. The old fashioned kind in a bottle, not the pen kind. The kind in the pen works about as well as orajel. But the old fashioned kanka works much longer. You dry the area and then put the kanka on, then you let that dry for a few seconds. It lasts a LOT longer than the other types of oral pain medications. I learned all this back before my teeth were removed.

I hope you feel better soon.

BusynMember

Thanks, Susie! After I put this down somebody mentioned cloves to me.

WOW.

it really works.

Sue and GN, you are both so helpful to this forum.