Our appointment today

Dara

We had our develpmtl pediatrician appointment today. it went pretty well. We are getting the full report next week. To sum up he said that Sammy is under the Pervasive Developmental Disorder (PDD) umbrella for now. He also has signs of anxiety, Obsessive Compulsive Disorder (OCD), ADHD and behavior disorder not otherwise specified.and Speech delay which all fall under the Pervasive Developmental Disorder (PDD) category. None of this is real news to us. IT is a beginning and he is giving us numbers and ideas for how to handle things. He was concerned because Sammy really doesnt have any imaginative play. His random rages are just that random and may never be explained so that is still a tough one to deal with. Other than that I feel pretty good about the appointment. I feel like we are heading in the right direction. I am cautiosly optimistic.
:thumb:

Alisonlg

Cautiously optimistic is good! Sounds like a very positive appointment and I'm glad you got some answers, even if you kind of already knew them...I guess we'll call them more of confirmations. :wink:

Dara

Thank you so much. I am interested in getting the actual report back because that will have numbers of therapists and speech and theraputic preschools...We need to win the lottery to afford all of this! I know that the diagnosis can change and will change mulitple times before we have something solid. I just am relieved that we found the right place to help us get there!

smallworld

Dara, there may be public Special Education preschools in your school district for which Sammy is now eligible by virtue of his new diagnosis. You might want to post in Special Education 101 about how you go about getting Sammy into such a program.

Good luck.

Dara

The school district is actually in the process of doing tests on him to see what services they can offer him. I am really hesitent to take him out of the school he is in now. He loves it and does very well there. I am considering doing the theraputic preschool for half a day. THe dr said that the school he is in is very good forhim as well and to consider half days with the theraputic schools. We will see when we get all of the info

SRL

Glad to hear the appointment went well and that the diagnosis is in line with what you've been seeing. Everything you mentioned on the Primary board sounded as if it easily could fall under the Pervasive Developmental Disorder (PDD) umbrella--having that as a working medical diagnosis will give some solid direction for you to work with, especially since there's so much out there under the Autism umbrella.

I'd be hesitant to pull a child with Pervasive Developmental Disorder (PDD) out of a preschool setting that they were doing well and progressing in. I know of families that have done half time preschool/half time Special Education or therapeutic preschool successfully as well as families that have supplemented a private preschool situation with public school therapies. And believe it or not, in a few situations I've known families who have succeeded in getting the public school to pay for an aide for a child in a private preschool setting, this last only because the district didn't provide an appropriate least restrictive environment.