Our Christmas Cat

Mattsmom277

Our 4 month old manx kitten, true to the breed, is insane. I-N-S-A-N-E I am telling you all.

I have about 4 favorite decorations (snow globe, music box etc) that are now broken to bits on their way to the landfill. The tree sits at a different angle now. it has 4 "holes" as I call them where the branches now have cat size gaps, her access points so to speak. Her favorite thing is climbing the center pole to get to the top underneath the skirt of the angel. I'm missing numerous decades old ornaments. I have no ribbons or bows left on my lovely wrapped gifts, and now she has decided to eat the presents. Yes eat them. Crunching away on corners of packages and nawing the paper. Her nails have poked kitty size wholes through most gifts.

She's evil. Pure evil. And then she squeaks. She does not meow. But she squeaks. A chirp nearly. It is so strange. I'll give her heck and chase her from the tree and she'll stare at me and chirp like a baby bird with what I swear is a question mark at the end of the chirp. Whadid I do? or probably in a Urkel voice "Did I do thaaaaaaaatttt????

I shake my head. She is impossible to be angry with. My gift this year should be one of those signs that says I am owned by my cat!

susiestar

Roll With It
I am sorry that your decorations were destroyed. Cats can be so funny, esp when you look at what they like to play with. We had a part manx cat who chirped when I was a kid. He NEVER meowed but had the cutest chirp. He would converse wtih us if we chirped back.

We always have the bottom few rows of ornaments that are for the cat to play with. It seems to help with older cats, but kittens are harder to handle. Does she have a scratching post that she likes? You may need to put catnip on it a few times to get her interested in it.

We are owned by our felines too.

Hound dog

Nana's are Beautiful
Again I'm thankful Bruce has stayed away from the tree, ornaments, and gifts. Of course if he hadn't he would find himself an outside cat in short order. I can tolerate most cat antics............that? nope. Outside he would go. Maybe not permanently, ok so probably not permanently, but at least long enough to make him think. Bruce hates outside...........and yeah it does cause him to stop certain behaviors. lol

Mattsmom277

LOL Nothing is off limits to this psycho manx. There are toys, 2 small scratch posts, another cat to play with. We have a batter powered toy spider she hunts and she is smitten with hunting easy child's zhu zhu pet which she hauls off to hidden lairs somewhere in the house. She has our backs to play with as well, as she leaps onto them at any time we move. I am owned by her! lol

SRL

My cat holds the family record for knocking the tree down the fastest. Had it down one year in less than 2 minutes!

AnnieO

Shooting from the Hip
We are fortunate that our furbabies don't seem to care about the tree.

Squirrel likes to lie under it when there are no presents; Possum behind it, unless it's dinner time; and Weasel just poses in front of it. Or ON a package.

However... We have to be super careful what we put near the tree! Squirrel LOVES plastic. Bags from the store, she licks. Craft foam, she bites. Cardboard and heavy paper, too. She adores ribbons (so no bows on the presents this year).

But so far, I have never had a tree taken over by an animal. I've had cats all my life, and a dog around quite a bit of it.

Have you seen the post that has the video of Simon's Cat? If not, here it is.
You will understand - AND recognize!
http://www.simonscat.com/santaclaws.html

M

Mamaof5

Sounds like my boys sammy and jake. The ferrets love climbing tree lol. They grunt and I swear it sounds like giggling.

flutterby

Fly away!
I only had my tree halfway up when Isa started diving into it. Abbey, Isa, and Chloe all love to be in the tree. Makes me nervous when they're all in there at the same time. No broken decorations yet. But, plenty "holes" and lights askew. It's not even been up a week.

Puddles, who is now too fat to climb the tree, used to knock the bulb decorations down, pull off the hangers, and carrying them around by the "neck".

H

HaoZi

I've been lucky, this is first year we've had a full sized tree, and while the cat likes to lay among the presents and chew on the garland and needles a little (he seems to have lost interest already) he hasn't tried climbing it.