Our dog ate one of difficult child's books again ...

TerryJ2

Why, why, why can't difficult child put away his things somewhere else besides the couch in husband's ofc, where the animals love to lie in the sun and steal pillows and books? Every last pillow has been eaten (I sewed 3 and threw the rest away) and numerous workbooks. Luckily, they're usually from a previous semester. This time, there was nothing on the couch but difficult child's library book and his math comp book.
First, the dog (a golden, 2 yrs old) ripped off the cover, so I emailed the librarian at school and also emailed Scholastic books, to ask for a new cover. Then, difficult child put the book right back (which I didn't notice) and we went on an outing and came home to find the book totally chewed, in particular, one corner totally eaten (did he swallow it all?) difficult child was so mad!
I don't know which one makes me madder, the dog or the kid ...

Luckily, the librarian thought it was funny last time (I emailed her a photo and she actually printed it out and put it up in her ofc). This time she was very sympathetic and even though I offered to replace it, she said they had another one so difficult child could finish reading it. (At school, I presume, where it's safe.)

I guess I'm going to have to put him outside whenever we leave the house. Usually if I take him for a long walk, he doesn't chew while we're gone. And it's not like I haven't spent a small fortune in toys. :(:angrydude::cool_dog:

InsaneCdn

Our dogs have their own "rooms" (aka very oversized kennel - each) for when we go away... they know they are off-duty, so they tend to sleep until we get back, but if they do get bored... they have some toys in there too. Its just easier on everybody. (some friends of ours actually have one bedroom reserved for the dogs... with stuff that they don't care if it gets damaged... their own sofa, for example!)

Buglover

We have a 6 month old weimaraner and he loves my son's textbooks. Most recently he ate his Spanish comp text, before that he ate the chemistry journal. DS was soooo mad, but he leaves his junk all over and you can't even walk through his room. His way of "dealing" is to keep his door shut.

I suspect we will be getting a bill from the school at the end of the year! I don't think dog toys taste as good as textbooks (or cardboard boxes!)

Star*

call 911........call 911
crosses arms and nods slowly - UH HUH......and the DOG ate his HOMEWORK too I suppose.....(just kidding) I serioulsy thought this was a joke thread. lol.

There is some stuff at Walmart that is holistic, and bitter for "homework and book chewers" it also works on little bitty Grandogs that like to chew the Dragon Ball claw and feet off Gwammys oversized dining table....but (Smack) what a dummy - I didn't spray the chair legs and apparently she had QUITE a penchant one evening for OAK.

Dude is going to owe me So MANY THINGS - his fiance better plan on living in a box by the tracks.

TerryJ2

LOL.
I don't know if the bitter stuff at WalMart would work. Our dog will lick anything. I mean, I can put on perfume and lotion and he'll lick it right off. Eww. Of course, he prefers meat, but books and pillows come in 2nd and 3rd, respectively.

I'm wondering if difficult child doesn't think this is actually a good idea. One way to get out of homework ... for a day.

Buglover

Our pup is a lotion licker too. I think he likes the texts because they smell like DS who he loves. Good luck getting doggie toys to smell like the dog's favorite person.