Our doggie passed

BusynMember

I understand.

Do only what you can tolerate. Your sweet doggy understands. I also believe we choose a time to go. In my way of thinking, whether it is a peaceful way or not, it is our time and we honor it and we live on in spirit so we dont really die at all

Perhaps tou will feel like your doggy is still around. In my way of thinking, this would be true, to comfort you.

There was nothing YOU did wrong. Please forgive yourself.

Copabanana

Hi Nomad.

I just thought of something. Did that vet give you your doggie to take home for liability purposes? What I mean here is this: did he give you a near death dog, so that your dog would not die with him, at his kennel? If he had would it have meant you would have a lawsuit? I am not saying this because of money.

I would hate to think that. And if such is the case, I would want you to go after him with everything you've got. Maybe I am overreacting because of my mother. So discount what I say.

But if that vet set you up for this heartache, I cannot really say what I think of him.

Why did he not keep the dog and put him in intensive care?

I really really dislike this person. I am not supposed to hate, so I will not say that.

I am agreeing with wish here. If the above is the case. With all the measures you could take to go after him that she outlined in her post above. You may not want to do this. But we can think about it.

Nomad. I am sorry.

Wish

Nomad, please believe, you have a strong case here. I know you are in shock and i know you don't feel well. But if you ever do feel strong enough and if you ever wonder if you have a case or not, please know that you really, really do. What happened to your dog was not only wrong, but criminal and if the story ever got out, it would be very big news. Your vet is lucky that it wasn't my dog because I record everything in my life and since they texted you beforehand that something was wrong, I would have walked right into that office with my camera recording and hysterical when they handed me my dog near death and I would have screamed " Look what they did to my dog!!!!". I would have called the cops immediately. It would have been a scene that would stop the entire city! I would have made that video go VIRAL and it would not end there. I would have made that Vets life a living HELL with an ARMY behind me, to the point where he would be begging me to stop.

Your vet is probably really surprised that you haven't called the police.

Wish

And I shudder to think of what my roommate would have done because he loves my dog so much and he don't mess around! With both of us walking into that office, ohhhhhhhhhhhhhh mannnnnnnnnnnnn, he's even scarier than I am!

Wish

And to be honest, I would have the whole local animal community behind me because most of the locals know and love my dog to pieces, including my neighbors! His vets office would have been SHUT DOWN! Man, I say again, that vet is really, really lucky it wasn't my dog!!!

Wish

I apologize for my outburst Nomad, I really am sorry, but I am just so upset for you! Please don't mind me, I just couldn't keep in any longer because I feel your pain. There are plenty of times where I had to let unjustices go because I did not feel well myself so I totally get it. I just wanted to let you know I am on your side and you have every right to fight this if you wanted to. I also understand if you cannot. There is no right or wrong answer here.

Nomad

Staff member
Thank you, Wish.

Last night I wrote s good friend in another state in animal rescue for many years who also works pt at a vet office. She has not replied. My best guess is this is going to take some thought.

I do think eventually I will write something and put it on social media. All his negative reviews were semi hidden. Like set aside and you had to go out of your way to click and find them on social media.

There was nothing like mine though.

I shouldn’t of boarded an old dog. But I had the right to expect good care. If they had an ounce of decency they would of given her better , more diligent care. She did not have a fighting chance.

Tanya M

Living with an attitude of gratitude
Staff member
Nomad, I'm so very sorry for the loss of your beloved dog. I'm glad she was with you when she passed, she knew and felt your love.
Something about our pets unconditional love they give to us that reaches deep within our souls and touches us like nothing else.
((HUGS))

Lil

I shouldn’t of boarded an old dog.

Nomad,you had every right to expect your healthy old dog to be fine. We board our boy Mac quite often! He was boarded for 10 days in March, another 10 in June. We were going places that we couldn't take him and it never once occurred to me his health could suffer boarding him at the vet where he goes for his health care! We can't leave him home, because he is crate-trained. He has to be with people. We don't have friends that would watch him. He's blind and (although we only discovered this after the last boarding) mostly deaf and needs medication given. We used to board him and Suzie together, but now it's just him. Other than a general "Gosh I hate to have to leave him", we never thought twice about it.

A person does not stop living their lives because they have pets - or for that matter, children, or even elderly parents that live with you...and as much as you love them, there are occasions you need to go somewhere - or want to go somewhere - and you can't take them. So you find a place for them to stay until you get back. Granted, with humans that's usually relatives, but the concept is the same. I had a friend who's father would go to a nursing home when she would travel. He actually didn't mind a bit and had suggested it the first time she wanted to go somewhere. The only difference is a dog can't come to the phone.

You loved your dear dog. You wanted what was best. You would never have boarded her if you thought there was danger to her. None of this is on you.

BusynMember

Nomad, the fact is you should have expected the vet to care gently for your old dog. Dont take my paranoia of trusting others to be that I feel you were wrong for doing it. Your dog should have been FINE. You did NOTHING wrong!

I hope you come to peace with this. Animals in my opinion are treated like they barely matter. You kill a dog, torture it, you get maybe a year in prison, if that. I think if you kill any living thing, the law should be the same for the offender as if it were human. Who decided only human lives matter? This enrages me. Michael Vick has a dog now, a pet. There is something wrong with the value we put on animal lives. This man should never be allowed to own a dog. If he had hurt a child, he would be on a list of people who cant be near kids. And rightly so. Why not protect animals too?

This Vet should be facing jail.

Wish, we would get along very well.

Copabanana

The thing is: I don't think Nomad wants more stress and sadness and despair and conflict. What I think is that she did not want her doggie to die like that. And she feels that she should do something, but is trying to spare herself too.

I completely relate. It is over 5 years since that horrible thing with my mother, and I did nothing. I felt too vulnerable and I thought it was all my fault.

Wish

I shouldn’t of boarded an old dog.

Awww Nomad, see you are blaming yourself there. Is that what you are afraid of? That people will blame you? I couldn't see that happening. It is pretty obvious you boarded your dog at a Vet's office so she would be looked after more carefully than a boarding facility. You boarded her at a Vets office in case if something medically did go wrong with her, there would be medical help at the ready. The complete opposite happened. What happened to your dog is nothing less than a crime. At least know that much.

The thing is: I don't think Nomad wants more stress and sadness and despair and conflict. What I think is that she did not want her doggie to die like that. And she feels that she should do something, but is trying to spare herself too.

I totally understand that as well. There were many times I should have fought in my life for myself and the ones that I love and I didn't because I was either ill, sick, tired, scared and/or blamed myself. If you can't do it, you can't do it, ya know? I totally 100% understand that. Do I ever.

Last edited:

Lil

There is a time to mourn and a time to act. I think, for Nomad's sake, maybe we should all lighten up a bit on blame. After all, she was the one there and we were not. She clearly has given the vet a piece of her mind. My first impulse also was to cast blame on the vet and suggest action be taken, however little it might be...but nothing is going to bring back Nomad's friend now. She needs love and comfort.

Nomad, give yourself time and like we say with our difficult children, be kind to yourself. In time, your girl will be a smile in your heart again, instead of a tear in your eye.

:group-hug:

Nomad

Staff member
My friend the “dog” person said it is very clear that the vet should of opened the dogs mouth on Tues and not of abandoned her simply because she was “nippy.”
She even thinks he should of called me.
She is in favor of writing him up on social media.
My husband says he might consult an attorney.
I am limited right this moment due to poor health.
Autoimmune illness tends to react poorly to extreme stress.
I have been in Prayer.

Wish

Let us know if you need anything Nomad. We are here. I know first hand of when you have medical issues how stress can reek havoc on a body. Take care of you first. You cant fight this being ill, that's for sure. There's plenty of time in the future to take action if you decide you want to.

BusynMember

Even after your health is better, Nomad, only do what you can and really want to do.

Even if you fo nothing, you did enough. You were a lovi g pet parent to a wonderful dog for sixteen years. So many owners abuse or neglect their pets. And trust me they dont blame themselves if anything happens to the pet due to their own abuse, which was not the case here.

I have tears in my eyes now...my daughters cat died unexpectedly this morning. She calls him her best friend. She had to rush him to ER but it was too late. We will all miss him. A daughter is already blaming herself.