Our dogs sick!!

Jena

omg yup my boy is sick. choking, coughing, can't breath right you name it. stopped eating tonight. just laying around all day.

did get up to say hi to husband when he got in though. boy we can't afford this a vet for my 130lb. dog is kinda crazy.

ok any at home remedies my dog friends out there know of? i'm making him tea now and giving him aspirin to help him get thru the night. he's problem going to need medications i thought of calling place baby is in see if they'd be willing to see my guy and medicate him also at a lower cost?

ok and all because i in my infinite wisdom thought getting difficult child a puppy was a good idea.

Mattsmom277

I don't know of any home remedies, hopefully someone else will. I know my good friend called last week that her large dog had a script for antibiotics for similar symptoms. She did say she monitored him for a few days though (he wasn't getting worse) to see if he improved on his own first, since in the past he'd recoup just fine all on his own. After a few days she ended up with the vet visit and the medications. She did say if he had worsened she wouldn't have waited that few days, but makes sense given other times he just sprung back to health after a bad day or two.
Hope your pooch is feeling better, I sure can bet a vet bill won't be welcome, especially this close to Christmas.

H

HaoZi

Sounds like he did pick up what Toby has :(
Do you have a regular vet you use? I'd start there, many are willing to work out payment plans. I'm so sorry hon. I thought it was a good idea, too.

Mattsmom277

K, so I googled it and read that dogs colds CAN be more serious seeming than they are due to normally being a problem/infection in their respitory system, however it isn't a given and some home remedies can be tried if the dog doesn't seem to be getting worse etc.

* At the first signs of cough and cold you may try one fourth of a Vitamin C tablet for four days. You can also try giving zinc, rosehip and garlic along with Vitamin C. If you do not see any improvement in about four days, you should consult a veterinarian.
* Colloidal silver can sometimes make even a full blown canine cold disappear. The dosage should depend on the age and weight of the dog and should vary between a half to a full teaspoon.
* Elderberry extract is also known to reduce symptoms of the common cold in humans. This can be used for dogs as well. If given early enough, it can prove to be a preventive remedy that suppressed the cold from surfacing completely.
* You may safely give children's cold medicine to your dog if the veterinarian approves.
* Protect your dog from cold air and limit the time he spends outdoors. Cold air tends to constrict bronchial tubes that may make breathing difficult for the dog. Sinus and other respiratory problems tend to aggravate in cold weather.
* A mist vaporizer in the place where the dog sleeps will keep the bronchial tubes moist. You may add some eucalyptus oil to the water. This is very effective in providing relief to stuffy dog noses.
* Make sure that you provide support to your dog's immune system. During a full blown cold, the dog is unlikely to smell his food and may refuse to eat. In addition to his regular meals, try to feed him extra boiled chicken and brown rice.

Jena

ok just made him some chicken broth put echiniea in it 2 pills. than a little pedia sure i read on internet. will call place where puppy is in a.m. matts mom holy you could be a vet

Shari

IsItFridayYet?
benadryl can be given safely to a doggie at a max rate of 3mg per pound. Aspirin, also (not tylenol or advil, just plain old aspirin)

I've got a merck but the only other medications I see are prescription.

Hugs and prayers.

Shari

IsItFridayYet?
Oh, and do be sure to call the rescue they came from. They need to know that they could have something that's obviously ontagious going around.

Mattsmom277

No vet here, just good at copy/paste from great websites ;) .... hope he eats the broth. If you see him worsening, I hope you can find a vet with payments or something. Apparently they give antibiotics in most all cases of dog colds, simply because it is too pricey and time consuming to do lab work to find out if its viral or bacterial only to find out it isn't something antibiotics is needed for. So odds are to be prepared to buy some medications if you go, as the cost of lab stuff sounds like something most vets wouldn't bother with.
Hugs to the big fuzzbutt, hate seeing pets under the weather.

Jena

ready for this he began throwing up everywhere the chicken broth i gave him. so i threw husband's sweater on him to bring him outside because he begin peeing also. a bunny went hopping by us in the front yard the dog dragged me to the ground, bent all my rings, took off choking and coughing with-husband's sweater on into the night.

i can't make this **** up i really can't. so i came back in to warm up and share this and oh difficult child just woke up

Mattsmom277

Too much! Looks like you're in for a long night. Hang in there!!! Sounds like a vets visit is a good idea with vomitting etc. Keep us posted, poor guy. Poor you too, I'd be ready to add some choke to his coughing for chasing a rabbit. At least he's got spirit ;) !

Jena

hi lol oh man. talk about funny stuff. husband's sweater is gone, took an hr and a half to get him back in than he came in coughing and choking all night long. we are headed to hospital at 2:30 today. i'm sick too, i wonder if theyll give me a crate there an i.v.

Shari

IsItFridayYet?
NO ASPIRIN!!! It's toxic to dogs, no tylenol either.

I've never heard that. My vet has prescribed it over the years for several things, and just told us to use baby aspirin you buy at the store. Its in my Merck, too. I'll have to look into this.

hearts and roses

Mind Reader
Our vet has allowed us to give the dogs small doses of aspirin, pepto bismol, benadryl and topical things such as neosporin, vaseline, cortizone. For vomiting, we've given pepto. For diarrhea we've given pure spice free pumpkin pack. Always change the diet to lite, low fat meals, especially when there is difficulty breathing. You want the dog's energy to be focused on being able to breathe, not digesting heavy foods.

I have a First Aid book for cats and dogs = those items above are fine. Tylenol and Advil/Ibuprofen are NOT. And, as always, if you're simple not sure, call or visit your vet.

donna723

The normal dosage of Benadryl for dogs is ONE mg per pound of the dogs weight. I've heard of giving 2 mg but only for severe problems and I wouldn't give more than one mg unless directed to by a vet. Benadryl for dogs is used more for sudden allergic reactions, hives, or swelling from insect stings, not for coughing or congestion. Giving them Benadryl for a severe allergic reaction or insect sting can keep it manageable while you're on the way to the vets office.

I wouldn't fool around with this - don't waste time trying home remedies. Boiled chicken and rice is good to use for digestive upsets, it won't further irritate their digestive track, but it won't help with respiratory problems. Dogs can dehydrate and go downhill very fast. Obviously what your puppy had was contagious and now the older dog has it. He needs to be seen by a vet ASAP to find out exactly what this is and to get him on the proper medications. A lot of vets will let you make arrangements for payments. Has he been vaccinated for Bordatella (kennel cough)? It's very contagious and the puppy could easily have picked it up at the shelter and passed it along to your older dog. My dog that came from a shelter was already vaccinated against it - it can be passed along very easily at shelters, boarding facilities, dog parks, pet shops ... even the vet's office!

Last edited:

Jena

yea if you guys saw i posted hes' going to hospital at 2:30 today. i woke up early and called the place that puppy is in and told them my dog got it. hes' been vacinnated for bordetellajust this past july so it's not that. woman on phone said puppy has respitory disease. so i guess that's what my guy has. we have a little rm on credit card but i'm hoping they won't charge due to them getting him sick with their puppy.

we gotta go buy him anxiety drops at store he wont' deal well with going to vet and strange ppl his socialization was never done right i adopted him he was already over a year so i did my best at working with him yet hes' rough. can't walk on street with other ppl on it, he's never been aggressive to bite yet he acts jumpy. we used them once before when we moved it calms him a little it's an herbal thing at pet store.

Jena

yea i guess i'll find out soon enough. he's soo funny our dog he's choking, coughing, throwing up and still acting his usual nutty self barking thru window and leaves blowing today, ran after the bunny last night wearing husband's sweater. it's so crazy the whole thing but if you look hard enough i truly think humor can be found in just about anything. as husband and i are sitting outside last night me coughing because i'm sick waiting for our dog to return home so we could go to bed. lol.

he's such a great great hearted dog. made him some chicken broth today and put echnicea in it for him. he looked at me like i was nuts. i should post a picture of my big guy. love that dog. hopefully he wont' take vets arm off.